ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heel & toe downshifting part 2 - the tricky bit

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Following my previous thread on basic rev matching, and following a solid week of editing, I've come up with to help anyone wanting to move on to trying heel and toe downshifting. Give it a go!

Part 1 - basic rev matching...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This isn't just you Mark, but all videos on YT seem to be so long these days. I genuinely learnt how to do advanced gear changing from this video (and a few others from the same guy, back when you had to download a video before watching it)

And if you want to watch it again, you just rewind :smiley:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This isn't just you Mark, but all videos on YT seem to be so long these days. I genuinely learnt how to do advanced gear changing from this video (and a few others from the same guy, back when you had to download a video before watching it)

And if you want to watch it again, you just rewind :smiley:

Point taken, completely! The thing is, it's a big subject, there are many things to consider, many things to work on, many things that can wrong, and many things that can make learning it harder or even impossible.

There are also many videos out there that show you how to do it, but they ALL miss something out on something key and important.

My aim with these two was, as much as I could, to capture everything that's relevant and that you need to think about...based on gaps I've seen in other videos and questions I've been asked.

Regardless, I enjoyed making it so meh. :tonguewink:

:up:

clio 182 trophy
Great video.
I noticed though that you said that heel and toe doesn't mean actual heel and toe, but for some it does. I have size 11 feet and in the trophy I could fly down the box from 5th easier using the proper ankle rotation heel and toe technique, compared to rolling the ankle over in a half on the brakes and half on the throttle with the foot angled straight throughout. The response was much greater as more force could be applied in quicker succession (for me.personally anyway). When I have seen people do the half and half it looks too slow. On the road fine but in say cup racing I would bet the proper technique to be noticeably quicker.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Great video.
I noticed though that you said that heel and toe doesn't mean actual heel and toe, but for some it does. I have size 11 feet and in the trophy I could fly down the box from 5th easier using the proper ankle rotation heel and toe technique, compared to rolling the ankle over in a half on the brakes and half on the throttle with the foot angled straight throughout. The response was much greater as more force could be applied in quicker succession (for me.personally anyway). When I have seen people do the half and half it looks too slow. On the road fine but in say cup racing I would bet the proper technique to be noticeably quicker.

I agree, regardless of pedal positions rotating for me feels much much better on track as you have and can get a much firmer press onto the brake pedal...and it just feels right.

Like I said, day to day, gentle braking, rolling off works well enough...but it doesn't feel natural if trying to snap down through a few gears quickly.