ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Brakes, Power Steering and CV Boot

clio
Hi,

Really need some help and advice on a number of issues with my clio sport 172 to get it back ont he road again :)

1) The brake pipe that goes to the rear caliper n/s is broken and is spraying brake fluid all over the place. Whoever has done this before had rounded the nut off so I had to put some real force on to remove, also I am not sure but they may have cross threaded the caliper as well....doh! Anyway new brake pipe and union nut required.....

Where can I get a new brake pipe? Are these easy enough to fit? Is it easy to remove the old pipe?
I understand that I need to buy the length of pipe (where from?) and then bend it to match the existing pipe. I will then need a brake flare tool to flare the ends of the brake hose? and put the new pipe in. Is there a crimp tool that seals the brake hose afterwards?

Could really do with some help on this, as I am not 100% confident on brake pipes.

2) The power steering pipe (one of 3) is leaking this has just failed on the MOT. I have replaced the power steering switch as this looked to be weeping a little but was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of the other hoses and where is a common point fo failure? is it easy to get at? The Haynes doesn't really cover power steering components!

3) A CV boot is damaged and needs replacing it is the o/s, is this easy to do? I have read that the whole shaft needs to come out in order to replace, is there no way of pushing it on to the existing drive shaft?
If the drive shaft has to come out on the o/s (drivers) is this the side that has the gear box fluid? And....is it easy to do? any guide/pointers appreciated.

This 172 is one of thos Friday afternoon models, everything goes wrong with it :( ftaher in law has one and it has been fine - he has just got the Megane 225, now that is quick!

Also how long do clutches tend to last on the 172? My car has done 120k now and no new clutch, do you think it is time to part ex this car? lol

Thanks again.

Richard