ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed on Next Stages of my track day 172 Cup

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
13kg would be to much for a car driven on the road you'd think. Will go 8/8kg and take it from there. Just need to find £800 now, lol.

Yeah the front would be hard as f**k.

I couldn't believe when my mate who races in Civic Cup told me his were 16kg/18kg! Haha.

Properly stiff!

If you're looking to spend around a grand on suspension, I'd really consider reaching that little bit further and getting the ASTs. They will be the best you can buy.

My current AST setup is 460lbs front and 475lbs rear. That is pretty stiff for the road but great on track!

15 inch wheels would be a great swap.

I've got a Sparco black suede steering wheel. Basically the same as the Renaulsport one just without those words and in black.

On dry trackdays, switch the rear ARB to the stiffest setting. It might make a bit of an improvement. You may not even notice much of a difference.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I agree, AST's would be the ideal setup. But you're talking £1500 and if you are already stretching to buy £800 coilovers then finding another £700 is a bit much.

Plus, you have to deal with Curtis :tongueclosed:

AST's are not an option for me really unless a decent used set come up, I cant justify spending the same on coilovers as to what the car is worth. I don't do enough track days either. BC's will feel like a huge step up for me currently running budget ECP springs and OE dampers.

Back on spring rates, just doing a bit of reading at its a mine field. Some say you want stiffer rates at the rear on a fwd car so weight isn't transferred backward losing front end grip, which makes sense. Whereas others say stiffer rates at the front. I know this varies form car to car, but most decent coilover kits I've seen for the 1*2 have a slightly stiffer spring rate at the front, so some testing must have gone into this set-up for the 1*2? I personally would like a neutral set-up, whereas others like a car to oversteer slightly, as I say minefield!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As you say, it's a complete minefield and a lot is down to personal preference.

If you start with 8kg/8kg and see how you get on, you can always get some harder springs for £40 a piece.

Stiffer rear will encourage it to be a tad more lively.

I know @NorthloopCup said he prefered the front a bit stiffer.
Lively is definitely not for me, I had a 'lively' moment going through Island bend last time out at Oulton, I was like a granny through there the rest of the day, losing 2s a lap over last time out. I blame the rear cage for stiffening the chassis up :grin:.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Lively is definitely not for me, I had a 'lively' moment going through Island bend last time out at Oulton, I was like a granny through there the rest of the day, losing 2s a lap over last time out. I blame the rear cage for stiffening the chassis up :grin:.

Yeah, i don't like lively either. My whiteline arb in the wet is murder, so i just unlink one side.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's when you come down craner curve flat out with the rear trying to overtake the front and some right hand opposite lock to correct it, then have to straighten it up for the old hairpin, have the back try and overtake the front (again) and apply some left hand opposite lock to straighten the car up. That's a lively rear end! All corrected at 3 figure speeds, and I was also sporting a broken finger at the time, which I twatted on the steering wheel whilst furiously applying oppo.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It's when you come down craner curve flat out with the rear trying to overtake the front and some right hand opposite lock to correct it, then have to straighten it up for the old hairpin, have the back try and overtake the front (again) and apply some left hand opposite lock to straighten the car up. That's a lively rear end! All corrected at 3 figure speeds, and I was also sporting a broken finger at the time, which I twatted on the steering wheel whilst furiously applying oppo.

Yeah, done Craners sideways at the end of last year in the wet 😂

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Quick update, I have just received my new BC racing DR kit with 9kg front and 8kg rear springs after the advise I received from this thread so thanks for that, the kit looks great, the only concern is the rear height adjustment, I was under the impression the kit was fully adjustable at the rear however Kam racing said the only adjustment was using the spacers for the springs, it looks like on the shock itself you can adjust the height however Kevin from Kam explained not to do this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG_6291.JPG
    IMG_6291.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 60

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Amazing. Haha

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Quick update, I have just received my new BC racing DR kit with 9kg front and 8kg rear springs after the advise I received from this thread so thanks for that, the kit looks great, the only concern is the rear height adjustment, I was under the impression the kit was fully adjustable at the rear however Kam racing said the only adjustment was using the spacers for the springs, it looks like on the shock itself you can adjust the height however Kevin from Kam explained not to do this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Adjust the height using the spring perch iirc. The adjustment on the rear shock might be the set preload height.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Yeah it was the rear I am talking about, I understand the front end. I will go for the larger spacer at the rear, just to confirm the spacer goes on the bottom of the spring?

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Also what firmness setting on track are most going for and any geo recommendation for track focuss?

dan's cast offs.
i've got one in at the mo on bc's with no shims on the rear if you want me to grab you a pic of how it sits?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Also what firmness setting on track are most going for and any geo recommendation for track focuss?

Dampening is all personal preference really mate. You've got 30 clicks to play with, say start at 15 clicks front and rear and see how it feels.

As much camber as you can get really.

Toe out 12-15 minutes or 0.2-2.5 degrees depending what your alignment place works in.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Run my bc's on full hard, whiteline rarb, spacers, camber and 15's with some grippy tyres. Very capable setup :up:

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Dampening is all personal preference really mate. You've got 30 clicks to play with, say start at 15 clicks front and rear and see how it feels.

As much camber as you can get really.

Toe out 12-15 minutes or 0.2-2.5 degrees depending what your alignment place works in.

And this is good for pure track use the settings, I have 1.2 15" alloys on order but initially I will be using 16" turinius with sticky tyres, from 16" to 15" will I have to change the full setup again?

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Also I have a pms arb currently running on the hardest setting - is this ok with the bc's? When on track I am on it pushing like crazy

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
And this is good for pure track use the settings, I have 1.2 15" alloys on order but initially I will be using 16" turinius with sticky tyres, from 16" to 15" will I have to change the full setup again?

Yes mate, good for both setups. Although going from 16's to 15's you'll want to lower the ride height a bit further, so the alignment will need checking after that.

You want some rake too, so the rear being 10-15mm higher than the front.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Yes mate, good for both setups. Although going from 16's to 15's you'll want to lower the ride height a bit further, so the alignment will need checking after that.

You want some rake too, so the rear being 10-15mm higher than the front.
I assume the 10ml to 15ml is measured based on the front and rear sill height to make sure the rake is correct or am I basing this on the arch to wheel measurements ?