ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Rear Brakes Stuck.

1.6 16v
1.6 Clio 2004,

Just tryed moving it and the rear pads are touching the disks :( and wont let go.

How can i fix this problem?

Steve

How hard have you tried.

On my old 172, after it only being left for 3 days I had to literally dump the clutch from 3krpm to get them to snap off. Pads had rusted to the discs.

1.6 16v
So driving it round the block wont hurt them?

Its been left for 6 days.

Its making a nice grinding noise too.

Steve

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
This is why you should leave your car in gear rather than use the handbrake, i'd try driving off, if not take the wheel of and hit it?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's no different to driving along with your handbrake on.

Well, if they're stuck on and you drive round the block, you just risk getting them too hot and warping something or boiling fluid.

When mine stick on, they free straight away. Sounds as though either the cable has seized or the arm on the caliper.

1.6 16v
Well, if they're stuck on and you drive round the block, you just risk getting them too hot and warping something or boiling fluid.

When mine stick on, they free straight away. Sounds as though either the cable has seized or the arm on the caliper.

How do i solve those problems??

If the cable is seized, new cable.

First of all, I'd take the rear wheels off and check the calipers and whether you can free them by unhoking the cable.

1.6 16v
If the cable is seized, new cable.

First of all, I'd take the rear wheels off and check the calipers and whether you can free them by unhoking the cable.

Could you describe where the cables goes/comes from so i know i'm doing the right one?

Comes from the middle centre of the car then splits into two and one cable goes to one brake and the other cable to the other brake. You'll see it on the caliper. There's the cable, and the brake pipe. Leave the brake pipe alone.

take it for a 5 min drive and apply the brakes a few times first - could just be corrosion on the disc (normal)

1.6 16v
When applying the brake the caliper does not move, and i believe it should.

Does this mean the caliper has siezed?

and need stripping down?

Cheers Steve

Your not having much luck with this buddy are you! You get any warranty?
I would take it for a gentle drive to free them off.

When applying the brake the caliper does not move, and i believe it should.

Does this mean the caliper has siezed?

and need stripping down?

Cheers Steve

the pistons can become lazy but can be freed off and the handbrake mechanism arms can also become sticky - again, they just need freeing off and lubricating. try taking it for a short run first though as corrosion can cause sticking and grinding until it has been worn off by application of the brakes whilst moving.