ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help (williams)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

got my coolant changed today...... and when i went back to collect my car from the garage they said there was an electrical fault.... they said that the fan wasnt kicking in at all when the engine was turned on, however when they turned the engine off the fan kicked in . they said it was probably an electrical fault as it was okay when the engine was off and not on..... tbh i had never noticed as the water temp never got that hot with me, although they said they have to run it till it kicks in to make sure there is no air in it, i asked when they turned it off as i dont want them overheating it and they said they turned it off pretty sharpish when it didnt come on.... has anyone ever had this problem before! as far as i can see this is either a electical problem or a fan switch problem.... ideas welcomed.

if i get a stupid quote for wiring fault ill just wire in a permenant live to turn it on and off at will....

cheers Jamie

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Yup mine did it the other month, Couple of quid to fix although I went the whole hog (if you can with this kind of thing lol) and got a low temp switch and thermostat - never ever gets anywhere even close to halfway now before a tornado errupts and cools me down :D

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

well what i dont understand is that it doesnt work when engine is on...... (fan doesnt come on), but yet when i turn engine off, the fan comes on..... seems strange. is this what happended to u fellas? all i need is a low temp thermostat then?

Quote: Originally posted by J_rt on 27 August 2005
well what i dont understand is that it doesnt work when engine is on...... (fan doesnt come on), but yet when i turn engine off, the fan comes on..... seems strange. is this what happended to u fellas? all i need is a low temp thermostat then?

Seems more common on Willy3s.. mine did it a few times, Mats mates does it (well, used to.. fixed itself now)

yer mine does that never know why tho? :confused: and it once went all the way when my fuse went for they fan! water everywhere not good! lol i need a low temp switch too then me thinks?! are they expensive and wherd i get one from?

Quote: Originally posted by jimmyt16v on 28 August 2005
yer mine does that never know why tho? :confused: and it once went all the way when my fuse went for they fan! water everywhere not good! lol i need a low temp switch too then me thinks?! are they expensive and wherd i get one from?

Low temp switch just kicks the fan in earlier. A Standard switch works fine - it kicks in when it needs it!

If the fuse had blown, nothing would move the fan.. heh.

A low temp fan switch works better because it comes on just as the temp rises a couple of notches on the gauge. No point in letting the engine get any hotter than it needs to before the fan kicks in.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by J_rt on 27 August 2005

Thats all it is a wierd electrical fault - mine was the same - maybe it is later models of valvers/willys?

All I know is the guy said my wiring had corroded and he pinched one of an RN in the scrappy and sorted mine out..

Reason I had both the thermostat and the low temp switch installed was because I had bought them both ages ago, Id ordered the wrong one tjhen the right one then though bugger it ill stick em both on seen as ive paid for them!