ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home brew turbo conversion

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Just finished my conserving my brothers ph1, all done on the driveway by me and brother. Been a great learning curve, goes for mapping next week, car runs great on the bace map so hopefully all goes well.

Spec is:

Lower compression engine (thicker head gasket)
Garret gt2560r
Adaptronic ecu with boost solenoid and switch for maps
Engine dynamics pipework
Homemade oil pressure and temperature sender using a Honeywell pressure gauge and k-type thermocouple, still needs wiring and coding into the arduino
Stack boost gauge

Hopefully get around 250bhp
20161231_155826.jpg
20161231_155744.jpg
20161231_155654.jpg
20161231_154504.jpg

Will get better pictures once the cars fully done

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Haha nope it's going engine dynamics, efi is too far to drive unfortunately, I've spoke to them and they're confident with mapping the adaptronic so I'm sure it'll be in good hands with them.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Adaptronic ECU, Chris at EFI knows these the best. Mileage shouldn't come into it, I drove to and from EFI in a day from Essex to have my old supercharged Clio map tweaked.

Nice to see a neat phase one 172 turbo'd

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Adaptronic ECU, Chris at EFI knows these the best. Mileage shouldn't come into it, I drove to and from EFI in a day from Essex to have my old supercharged Clio map tweaked.

Nice to see a neat phase one 172 turbo'd

I'd agree Chris would know the ecu best as he works with them more, but engine dynamics have plenty of experience mapping turbo clios and are confident with mapping the ecu so should be okay.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Looks mint in those pictures! Car was at engine dynamics this week and didn't quite go to plan, think the engine we used may have reground cams as the map values are quite high and it didn't make the numbers on the dyno
received_1296057840453308.jpeg

Print out shows the car against a normal low boost conversion with very similar map.

Going to collect the car tomrorow and measure up the cams and fit the ones out of the old engine of they are different.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yeah compression was good across all cylinders and the timing was correct which I was pleased about as it was our first attempt timing an engine!

Andy from engine dynamics said it behaved very similar to a 182 he had in before Christmas which also had reground cams, so fingers crossed its just that.

If the engine turns out to have issues we might chuck the one out of my car in which has megane pistons as I'm going a full megane conversion on mine this summer anyway

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Haha cool, I only mentioned it as my supercharged Clio was down on power. Went back to basics and found out the timing was out so I had Alex sort it amongst others. Made a big difference when I had the map tweaked, much better torque low down and more power.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Made about 210 in the end, but that's without turning the boost up as there wasn't any point while it was under performing so much even on a low boost map

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Is that 190bhp with lower compression and Megane head gasket?!
I think it's just the thicker head gasket that's the only difference as far as I can read (Megane 225) would it be that much lower with just the gasket?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
How come your using the Adaptronic out of interest? Especially when going to Engine Dynamics?
As Adaptronic is standalone it can be mapped by anyone, I believe it's the closest place for the OP to have it done.

SQ5
Adaptronic isn't standalone though as the original ECU is still in place, the only real standalone is a Gen90 and the new one Dan Potter has been helping to develop. It's a glorified piggy back ECU.

AEM can be mapped by anyone, the software is all open and not licensed.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
No but depending on requirements you can have a custom loom made with the OE ECU binned off and run everything through the Adaptronic.... Or Omex, or DTA. The point is, and the beauty of this case with the Clio is it doesn't have to be done, the ECU is just needed as you're running boost. So yeah piggyback in that sense but like any aftermarket ECU it can run the whole car if wanted to, then it's down to personal choice as some mappers prefer certain ECUs to others.

I think that's how it goes, I'm happy to be put right. I don't claim to know everything which I why I paid to have the Adaptronic fitted and mapped. It's how I see an ECU.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Had the ecu already so seemed silly not to use it. Gives scope if he wants to go for more later on, dual maps, good boost control, boost by gear with the right sensors ect. The ecu still has full control over the engine so isn't any different to the gen90 or the me11 ecu, apart from needing the original ecu for the clocks to work. I agree though the AEM would make more sense for the spec he has atm.

SQ5
No but depending on requirements you can have a custom loom made with the OE ECU binned off and run everything through the Adaptronic.... Or Omex, or DTA. The point is, and the beauty of this case with the Clio is it doesn't have to be done, the ECU is just needed as you're running boost. So yeah piggyback in that sense but like any aftermarket ECU it can run the whole car if wanted to, then it's down to personal choice as some mappers prefer certain ECUs to others.

I think that's how it goes, I'm happy to be put right. I don't claim to know everything which I why I paid to have the Adaptronic fitted and mapped. It's how I see an ECU.

If it can be used as standalone then it's an expensive way of using it as a piggy back. I believe they're £900ish at the moment + boost controller? Vs. £606 w/ boost controller?

Had the ecu already so seemed silly not to use it. Gives scope if he wants to go for more later on, dual maps, good boost control, boost by gear with the right sensors ect. The ecu still has full control over the engine so isn't any different to the gen90 or the me11 ecu, apart from needing the original ecu for the clocks to work. I agree though the AEM would make more sense for the spec he has atm.

That makes sense then. The AEM also has scope for more boost later by running a boost controller. Unsure if it can do boost by gear etc... and unsure how you would do that via a Clio gearbox anyway as the box doesn't provide any feedback so lots of extras would be needed.

It is different to the Gen90 and ME11 as they plug into the original loom, other standalone ECUs need a custom loom which can run into a lot of money if paying somebody, let alone the clocks too.

I'm not criticising was just asking why he went for adaptronic and I have an answer, but after discovering the AEM the adaptronic seems like a bonkers idea when wanting a boosted Clio

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
It's making for great info and conversation so I'm hoping that the both of you aren't taking any of my comments the wrong way. Cheapest Adaptronic is £630 which I mentioned above.

Agreed, buying an off the shelf turbo kit is the best and cheapest way. Collating parts second hand and new then the AEM seems the easiest option, yep the Gen90 is the one after as it literally takes the place of the OE ECU. Can anyone map with the Gen90 or is it locked and licenced?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's making for great info and conversation so I'm hoping that the both of you aren't taking any of my comments the wrong way. Cheapest Adaptronic is £630 which I mentioned above.

Agreed, buying an off the shelf turbo kit is the best and cheapest way. Collating parts second hand and new then the AEM seems the easiest option, yep the Gen90 is the one after as it literally takes the place of the OE ECU. Can anyone map with the Gen90 or is it locked and licenced?
Anyone can map it but you've got to have gentuner pro.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Oh no not taking anything the wrong way, will good for people to see if they want to do it themselves.

Gen90 and me11 are definitely far easier in the fact that it's plug and play so the car retains all original wiring ect, think you still get the enigne warning light and full can too? If we were to do it again I'd have gone me11 probably but we already had the adaptronic so would have been hassle selling it ect.

To be fair the wiring wasn't too difficult, about 16 odd connections to make off the loom going to the ecu, as long as you connect two wires together properly and read off a simple diagram then then it's easy to do yourself.

Definitely agree that it's cheaper to get an off the shelf kit, collecting parts separately ends up costing quite a bit as this one has.

Clio Sport 182
If it can be used as standalone then it's an expensive way of using it as a piggy back. I believe they're £900ish at the moment + boost controller? Vs. £606 w/ boost controller?

That makes sense then. The AEM also has scope for more boost later by running a boost controller. Unsure if it can do boost by gear etc... and unsure how you would do that via a Clio gearbox anyway as the box doesn't provide any feedback so lots of extras would be needed.

It is different to the Gen90 and ME11 as they plug into the original loom, other standalone ECUs need a custom loom which can run into a lot of money if paying somebody, let alone the clocks too.

I'm not criticising was just asking why he went for adaptronic and I have an answer, but after discovering the AEM the adaptronic seems like a bonkers idea when wanting a boosted Clio
Nothing wrong with "piggybacking" a full ECU on the factory one (a little different from a piggyback as you take full control of the signal, not modify it). Nice way to keep the factory parts going while getting full control of fuel/ignition/boost etc - it's doing what it would as a standalone just the factory ECU is still in to control the dash etc. I have an omex running a boddied 172 this way (obviously not boost!).

The adaptronic will control boost (if that is what you meant by plus boost controller) and I think by gear (I can't confirm as I have not used one). I have a turbo Clio running a Motec with boost by gear though - this is done via using a front wheel speed sensor against rpm to calc the gear which is the way the adaptronic would do it I assume.

OP - keep up the good work on the homebrew - great to see people putting these together with what they can lay their hands on!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Nothing wrong with "piggybacking" a full ECU on the factory one (a little different from a piggyback as you take full control of the signal, not modify it). Nice way to keep the factory parts going while getting full control of fuel/ignition/boost etc - it's doing what it would as a standalone just the factory ECU is still in to control the dash etc. I have an omex running a boddied 172 this way (obviously not boost!).

The adaptronic will control boost (if that is what you meant by plus boost controller) and I think by gear (I can't confirm as I have not used one). I have a turbo Clio running a Motec with boost by gear though - this is done via using a front wheel speed sensor against rpm to calc the gear which is the way the adaptronic would do it I assume.

OP - keep up the good work on the homebrew - great to see people putting these together with what they can lay their hands on!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, yeah the adaptronic needs speed sensors on the two driven wheels I believe then relate this to rpm for the ecu to know the gear, going to be trying it on my car as I'm getting rid of the Abs so will hopefully be able to use the speed sensors or at least fit ones that will work with the ecu.

Its great fun playing around with everything, before having clios neither of us had a clue about working on cars, now I'd be pretty confident on most jobs myself