ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long should pms solid top mount bearing last?

172 Cup
as title I've removed the top mounts from the car today and the bearings are seized quite solid they were only fitted late 2012 £25 each for new bearings should I have to pay £50 every 2years to keep these good? Or have I been unlucky

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you use the car all year round? If you do, salt off the roads will f**k them up in no time at all. I used to work on gritters and trust me, after one season any area of untreated exposed metal was rotting. I'm talking about brand new gritters as well.

Best advice is to keep them lubricated every week with either stuff like chain lube or wd40. That should help them last a bit longer. Only other alternative is to find some suitable sized seals for the bearings.

172 Cup
Ok so I've cleaned up the top mounts and freed off the bearings with some wd40 and they now seem good as new tbf so ill refit and put some foray grease in from the top of the bearing and they should be ok for a bit I guess the answer is to treat them like a serviceable component and not fit and forget

Clio 172
I seem to remember the bloke from PMS saying the bearings are Teflon lined and you shouldn't use petroleum based lubricants on them.

172 Cup
I seem to remember the bloke from PMS saying the bearings are Teflon lined and you shouldn't use petroleum based lubricants on them.
Ah well I've not got anything to lose really they were sized solid so it was either lubricate or replace so if the oil makes the bearing fail I'm not really any worse off than I was before