ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need an IT whizz's help please!

Partner's Astra SRi
On Thursday, my Outlook 2007 started asking me constantly for my password.

This morning I have followed many resolution instructions found via Google but Outlook is still asking for my password. (I have "Remember my Password" ticked by the way). These are most of the links I have followed and tried:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1I7ADBS_en&q=outlook+2007+keeps+asking+for+password&meta=

I have tried to create a new mail profile but my firewall is blocking it for some reason.
I have created a new folder here: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Anyone have any ideas? It's seriously annoying me!!

Bumder With A Buffer
Ahh sounds like its got aids. Id get it put down to be honest ;)

Sorry I dont know but mine did it at work the other day and I spoke to my IT guy who sorted it.

When I say sorted it he spent 30 mins looking through stuff and clicking things and it worked again.

Edit what firewall are you using as id imagine it could be related???

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I had this when we had a virus which was locking our AD accounts out.

write that down.

Partner's Astra SRi
  DCi
once you have put your password in once, does it download emails normally?

i assume there isnt an actual error message apart from 'no password' (etc?)

when you go to your account settings, is the password field filled and its not working, or has outlook completely forgotten your password?

Partner's Astra SRi
When it asks me for the password it has remembered the password so I don't need to type it. If I don't click the add this password to password list, the next time it pops up the password is not there.

In the account settings, my password is filled in and the remember password box ticked.

The emails download normally. I also get asked for the password every time it send/receives.

Partner's Astra SRi
No, it's the outlook prompt asking me. It hasn't asked me for a while so I don't know if I've fixed it but here's what it looks like:

EnterNetworkPassword.bmp

DCi
oh i get you.

if it comes back, i would shut down outlook, disable your firewall, start outlook again, check the settings are right and see if it solves it.

if it does at least u know to look in your firewall somewhere.

Partner's Astra SRi
Ok it's just asked me again. As you can see, the password is there. Before I click OK, I click on the save password box.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 69
  Partner's Astra SRi
oh i get you.

if it comes back, i would shut down outlook, disable your firewall, start outlook again, check the settings are right and see if it solves it.

if it does at least u know to look in your firewall somewhere.

Ok, I'll disable my firewall for a bit, see if the message comes up. As far as I can see, all the settings are fine. And I've never had an issue with the firewall before :S

DCi
the only other thing i could think of is tiscali have changed something on their server and youll have to ring them for new settings (or you could go 'tools > account settings > change > change 'log on with secure password authentication' and see what happens)

firewall could have updated and caused the issue...

Partner's Astra SRi
Turned the firewall off and it asked me for my password more than once before I'd even clicked ok on one window. (It opened about 5 of the password prompt windows in one go!)

Firewall back on now.

Just thinking actually, I had a Windows Update the other day and there was an update for Outlook I think...could that have caused this issue?

EDIT: scrap that, just looked, it was just a help file update

Partner's Astra SRi
what happens when you go to tools > account settings > change settings > and press test connection

It asks me for my password.

What I've just done is created a new mail profile with my firewall off. When I tested the connection, it prompted me for my password but it hasn't done it again yet. If it does, I think I may just chuck my laptop across the room, lol!

Last edited: