ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle issues (video inside)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Danny and Mick are basically similar distances from me,
it's just I know Danny personally and the drive there isn't a speed camera & traffic nightmare like the drive to Notts.

Plus he has gone out of his way for me in the past.

Last night I went to pick my car up after it's gearbox replacement.

I was meant to be there for around 8-8:30, unfortunately a truck full of chemicals caught fire on the M1 :(
so the motorway was closed for about 4 hours in both directions to put it out. :mad:

Also i'd ran out of phone credit and so had my mum who was giving me a lift down there,
so neither of us could ring to explain what was going on, luckily a one of my mums friends rang her while we were sat there,
we got her to ring Danny and explain, so he rang me and I explained what was going on, he said never mind get here when you can.

By the time I got off the M1 it was midnight!!
I rang him and he said no problem i'll meet you at the garage.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but i've never met a mechanic who is willing to leave his house a midnight,
go back to work just so I could get my car back, by the time I got there it was 12:30, he really went the extra mile for me.

Danny, you are indeed one of the soundest blokes I have ever met and for as long as I have the ability to drive
you will have my business, although the next time i'm there i'm bringing you some beer, you have earned it mate.:D

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?598912-519-Automotive-Danny-you-re-a-top-bloke

Lionel Richie
@Fred@BTM how much you charge to do this and when could you fit me in matey ;)

I'm no longer a registered trader on this site, therefore i can't give out prices or contact info on here (google it!)

Not moving to Oz for about 1 year, need to wait until the Mrs has owned the V6 for 12months first so i can ship it over (she's not happy about it, but tough titties!)

M2 Comp
Im still having same problem. Changed lambda for gen bosch one but still same. It shakes the car while im in still traffic. Hate it. The chap who sold the car to me got cambelt changed by ktec. Might need to get timing checked, who can do it near coventry? Also my mpg is proper crap. Its near 26 mpg :(

I would get timing checked mate. K-Tec did mine also, the pic i posted earlier says it all really.

Noob question coming up, but is there anything else to check timing wise other than the cam timing?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would get timing checked mate. K-Tec did mine also, the pic i posted earlier says it all really.

Noob question coming up, but is there anything else to check timing wise other than the cam timing?

The only other timing settings are electronic ones. Ie they are in the map.

M2 Comp
Ok so just been looking into this a bit further. I think I must have looked at every misfire and rough idle related thread on this forum. What a way to spend a Friday night lol!

Anyway, I started looking at videos on youtube to see if I could spot any cars with the K-Tec exhaust and see if they had the same issue.

It might seem as if i'm clutching at straws here, but if you listen to the videos i've linked to below, specifically at the end of each video when the cars are just idling. you can hear the EXACT same noise as I have.

This has got me thinking maybe it is just the way the exhaust is! Surely if there was an issue with the car it would worsen or affect the way it drives? I do 1000-1500 miles per month in it at the moment and it is 100% reliable, does 40mpg + on a steady run, doesn't appear to be using any oil, pulls very hard and smoothly through the entire rev range, it genuinely drives faultlessly.

Will do some data logs when I finish work tomorrow to show the idle, as suggested by @Chip-mk1.

As ever any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
  M2 Comp
Or, there is no fault and it's just the exhaust making it sound like there is.

Yeah that's what I was saying mate (clearly not very well :)).

Any ideas what would make the exhaust do that? is it a design fault would you say?

M2 Comp
Just spoken to a mate who had the same exhaust when he had a 182. He said his was exactly the same and he spent ages looking for a problem that wasn't there too. Result!

Clio 182
Hey man, I'll add to this, I've a 182 with the k-tec ultra performance (no mid box but with a cat) and it woo idles like this. Funny I was just searching idling threads and came across yours.

M2 Comp
Hey man, I'll add to this, I've a 182 with the k-tec ultra performance (no mid box but with a cat) and it woo idles like this. Funny I was just searching idling threads and came across yours.

Glad this thread could be of some help to you mate :)

M2 Comp
I recorded another video of the exhaust at the weekend, it shows the extent of the popping at idle a bit better, so i've uploaded it to YouTube:

Feels good to have finally found the issue! I'm just looking at different options with regards a new exhaust now :)

Last edited by a moderator: