ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Implications of buying a (repaired) Cat D insurance write off.

Guys, can I have the facts on the above, heard it is more expensive to insure and the cars actual value is reduced, any advice on this,

much appreciated,

Alex

Ad

MK2 FRS
I had a CatD repaired VX2220. No probs with insurance.

You have to check them thoroughly. repair pics are helpful. Of course the value is reduced as you paid less in the first place.

there are far more dodgy unlisted cars than listed ones.

wrong forum btw;)

Maz

LY 200
If you insure fully comp and crash/write off the car will they pay out on the car eventhough its already been written off before and paid out ?? never understood this :)

Chocolate Bar™
iirc if you crash a write off, its automatically wrote off no questions asked but dont quote me on that ;) id buy one in a shot if the repair was good enough, especially if its uneconomical to repair

I had a CatD repaired VX2220. No probs with insurance.

You have to check them thoroughly. repair pics are helpful. Of course the value is reduced as you paid less in the first place.

there are far more dodgy unlisted cars than listed ones.

wrong forum btw;)

2200 litre hehe, must of been a beast :)

Ad

MK2 FRS
If you insure fully comp and crash/write off the car will they pay out on the car eventhough its already been written off before and paid out ?? never understood this :)

yes they will pay out on it. Its irrelevent the other claim. Like saying if you crash your car twice in a week will they pay out even though they havent repair one and they will

Better to have an agreed valutation imho.

Maz

LY 200

yes they will pay out on it. Its irrelevent the other claim. Like saying if you crash your car twice in a week will they pay out even though they havent repair one and they will

Better to have an agreed valutation imho.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I always thought that the car would pay out less on your insurance because its a catD ,if you crashed it after repair

Ok I have HPI'd the car in question and it is a CAT D write off, which I already knew. Interestingly, the VRM (reg number) and the chassis VIN numbers do not tally....
What could this mean, the cars nicked and it has a plate from a crashed one?

Ok I have HPI'd the car in question and it is a CAT D write off, which I already knew. Interestingly, the VRM (reg number) and the chassis VIN numbers do not tally....

Most likly stolen car I'd say.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator

Most likly stolen car I'd say.

Most likely yes, get the insurance to take a look at it, you may actually be putting an illegal car onto the road and you will get done for it if you fix it.

Cat D and Cat C are fully repairable write offs.

However a VIC check is needed to make sure the car is road legal, so that means you putting the car back to standard, then doing a VIC, then modding it.

This is the car in question, is cheap etc but the guy selling its a prick. I asked if it had been in any bumps over the phone. He said no. Took it for a test drive, no spare wheel in the boot, paint on the front wing looks recent so I rang up the garage as it still had logo'd plates. They said it was a cat d write off, new wing, front valence and drive shaft. The RAC vechicle check gives one owner from new, they must have bought it new, and the garage who's name appears on the plates sold it on secondhand at some point before its bump, that makes two owners to me. And finally we did a full hpi check and the VRM doesn't match the VIN, feel free to prank call the bellend.

seat9on.jpg