ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Import cars price diff

Hi guys I know the info is in here somewhere but cant get the search engine to come up with the cookies.

Right on the 1st Dec 03 I purchased a brand new Clio 172 from Motor provider, I am the first owner ect.. I guess its been imported as I did not get the full UK 3 year warranty. It has been registered in the UK. I have been to my local ORC and asked for his trade in value as my Mrs wants the Megane 225 (dont go there). He is offering me £6,700 for a 53 plate car in silver and 9,010 miles on the clock. Not tracked, thrashed or modd. The price stands as long as the car is not from Malta, Cyprus etc..

Can anyone guide me on this please as the car has got to be worth a lot more than that and a quick look at Wanted section on this forum confirms that.

..Ian

Lee

BMW M2C

I had an import 172 from Motorpoint, I was down as the second owner as the importer was down as the first.

When I traded it in with a Renault dealer I got a grand less than if it had been a full UK car. Mine was a Dutch import so did have the 3 year warranty.

Lee

that price is very low, im sure its worth about 8k.
has the car got a cat 1alarm & locking nuts, window etching etc ??
these are ways of telling if its an import car.

Cheers chaps...

Its got an alarm, and I am the first registered owner. Not sure about the glass etching or wheels nuts to be honest.

Am I best to try and sell privately?

What will put the private buyer off?

I am certain its an inport but the only difference being I only had 1 or 2 yrs warranty (3yrs UK).

Is it Renault UKs fingers up at those that saved a few quid when buying new then? Have to say I bought mine from Motor provider to jump the queue, if Id known the pee taking trade in theyd offer now Id have waited 2 months and bought a UK 182 and paid and extra grand or two!

Up for sale on here, will see what the responce is altho id like to know what the real down sides in buying a import are? It was UK bound anyway, guess surplus due to the 182 release?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Sutters on 30 August 2005
I am certain its an inport but the only difference being I only had 1 or 2 yrs warranty (3yrs UK). Is it Renault UKs fingers up at those that saved a few quid when buying new then? Have to say I bought mine from Motor provider to jump the queue, if Id known the pee taking trade in theyd offer now Id have waited 2 months and bought a UK 182 and paid and extra grand or two!

The amount of warranty depends on the country which the car was originally destined for. If it was going to an EU country you get the full 3 years, if it was elsewhere you get 1 year. Years 2 and 3 are dealer warranty, year one is manufacturer.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I bought an import when it was 10 months old for 9800.

I sold it last christmas for 8000.It cost me 1800 for 2 years motoring which was fantastic value

Dont be fooled into trading in at a dealer.Sell private and buy imports.You will be thousands better off.Be patient too.My car was originally from motorpoint but came with 3 yrs warranty.

This time round i got F+F so i had to go with that deal but paid cash and didnt trade a car in

ian

[Edited by ian 182 on 30 August 2005 at 4:53pm]

[Edited by ian 182 on 30 August 2005 at 4:53pm]

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Sutters on 30 August 2005

He is offering me £6,700 for a 53 plate car in silver and 9,010 miles on the clock. Not tracked, thrashed or modd. The price stands as long as the car is not from Malta, Cyprus etc..
I traded in my import 172 back in June. It was a March 03 plate, imported direct from France with the remainder of the 3 year warranty and an after-market alarm which cost £200. I got £7000 for it, and it had 24 thousand miles on the clock, so you should be able to do better.

Elise/VX220/R26

dudes you need to haggle more! I traded in an 03 plate 172 in may this year with 21k on the clock and got £8300 for it. It was a french import with 2 year warranty. I got a 225 again on import. They offered me 7 grand to start with but I was very hard and rude to them to get that price for it, but theres always a minimum of 500 quid more than they can possibly give you!