ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insuring Your Car in Your Parents/Missus' Name.

Just a quick question, I have factory fitted recaro seats in my 197 do i have to declare these as they are not a standard and a manufacturers option?

Another idea someone came up with was this.

Buying a SHAT car for a couple hundred quid. Fully comping it and making sure that your policy allows you to drive any car, getting ur big car and insuring it in your mom and dads name. Technically, its kind of right. If your covered to drive any car and your cars insured, then thats actually correct isnt it? especially if your driving the little car aswell. but i spose if ur not driving that car at all u can get done for it. but im not sure let me know! because if thats the case and that insurance method is cool then im doing it!

that is so sly! lol but it might actually be fine if the normal car is your 1.2 clio with 4 years no claims nice and cheap and you buy a fast car insured and registered on dads name.. chances are you wont alwyas be driving this fast car due to huge fuel bills..

so might work out right

R53 Cooper S
To the guys that insured there car AFTER they purchased it - didnt you research insurance prices first and see what you'd be paying? Schoolboy error in my book.

Top tip - research - get quotes on cars before you buy them! Even if its a naff 1.0 106, saxo etc. Worst scenario - put up with a couple of sheds for a year or two, earn some NCD, then get urself that car you were after. I did! You'l find that waiting pays off in the long run, not just for insurance, but you'l (hopefully) become a better driver, and be less vulnerable to causing an accident

Audi S1
I don't get this side of the insurance.

I understand if your the one who is going to drive the car more than any of the other drivers you must be the "Main Driver".

Young driver's on here (me being one of them) have made the "mistake" of doing the above ^^

However lets says its legit, the main driver was your mum but you was driving the car (insured as a named driver) and got pulled over/smashed the car. How will insurance companies get out of paying you :S

I don't get how than can not pay out if the your insured lol

ph2 1.4 16v dynamique +
Hey guys intresting read that, however im 18 and just finished my first year of driving.
icon10.gif
Currently drive a 1.4 16v clio and my insurance last year was £1300 on my Mums policy in my own name was well over £2000!!.

However ive had many friends who have had a few bumps and are in the same position as myself and the insurance companies have paid out no problem? Dont understand how if "you" are named driver on a policy why an insurance company can say your policy is void?

as it stands im just about to buy a 172 for my nxt year of driving
icon6.gif
and insure it as i did last year
icon7.gif
? My neighbour is a traffic cop and he doesnt see the problem with being on your parents policy, as long as they also use the car.

In all fairness, your neighbour who happens to be a traffic cop doesnt work for an insurance company. They will do anything to get our of paying. Your using it more than the policy holder, therfore fronting.

Good luck to ya :)

My neighbour is a traffic cop and he doesnt see the problem with being on your parents policy, as long as they also use the car.

That's the nail on the head, if your using it more as a named driver than the main driver is, then that's fronting.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
But you could put yourself on your mums policy but declare you as the main driver. It can work out cheaper, and made my first 18 months of driving about £1000 in insurance.

I then realised i had made the biggest ever mistake and took out my own policy because i wanted ncd.

Audi S1
I don't get this side of the insurance.

I understand if your the one who is going to drive the car more than any of the other drivers you must be the "Main Driver".

Young driver's on here (me being one of them) have made the "mistake" of doing the above ^^

However lets says its legit, the main driver was your mum but you was driving the car (insured as a named driver) and got pulled over/smashed the car. How will insurance companies get out of paying you :S

I don't get how than can not pay out if the your insured lol

Is anyone going to answer this :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Is anyone going to answer this :)
They have very cleaver ways of proving that your mum doesn't drive the car on a daily basis.

For example if they were to suspect you were 'fronting' they would ask your work colleges who they see driving the car, your neighbors etc etc.

They will also grill your mum about the car. EG ask her questions such as

1. What is the rough mileage on the car
  2. Where is the hazard switch
  3. how do you turn the window wipers on
They will just ask niggley little questions that only the main driver of the car will know... Either way they are very cleaver and will use a number of ways to prove it...

HOWEVER - If it was legit (I.E you were only driving the car occasionally but it was essentially your mums car) then they shouldn't have any problems paying out.

Hey guys intresting read that, however im 18 and just finished my first year of driving.
icon10.gif
Currently drive a 1.4 16v clio and my insurance last year was £1300 on my Mums policy in my own name was well over £2000!!.

However ive had many friends who have had a few bumps and are in the same position as myself and the insurance companies have paid out no problem? Dont understand how if "you" are named driver on a policy why an insurance company can say your policy is void?

as it stands im just about to buy a 172 for my nxt year of driving
icon6.gif
and insure it as i did last year
icon7.gif
? My neighbour is a traffic cop and he doesnt see the problem with being on your parents policy, as long as they also use the car.

Hi,

The insurance comapnies have been known to actually go to peoples neighbours, to check the main user of a vehicle... This will be dependant on the amount of money it is costing to repair yours and the other cars you hit... They wouldn't do it for a small bump. Just not worth the time and effort.

1.2 8V MK1 PH2
Hey guys,

Had a read through the sticky post from the Insurance Broker before, which basically confirmed everything that I thought to be true about car insurance. I have just purchased my first car and have been analysing the various ways in which I could go about insuring it. My Dad is paying, so he obviously wants it as cheap as possible.

I just want to add my ten cents here, because in my opinion insurance companies are an absolute bunch of arseholes, and care about nothing other than paying out. I certainly don't agree with fraud, but I CAN understand why people would front their insurance as we've even been thinking about it ourselves.

I have been quoted ridiculous prices of £3,900 with i-kube, which offers me fully comprehensive insurance for a full year and incurs extra charges of £60 for each time I drive the car between 11pm and 5am, which I wouldn't be doing anyway. Firstly, this is the cheapest insurance around, and is somewhat extortionate to say the least.

To put it simply I am 17 years old, and do not have the money to pay the best part of £4,000 a year to a bunch of cynical old men who sit behind a desk all day pretty much legally stealing peoples money. I have no issues with paying road tax, petrol costs or servicing my car. I've bought the thing out of my own money too...

Basically, insurance companies are forcing people to lie to them by charging such unethical amounts of money. How on earth they are allowed to do this is beyond me, because all they're really doing is lining their own pockets. Obviously teenagers are a much greater risk financially, but not to that much of an extent!

My Dad is 59, and drives a 4.0 litre Jaguar Sovereign V8. He has 8 years no claims bonus, but is only allowed a small number of these due to the fact that the majority of these years were earned on a previous company vehicle. This in itself is a joke, as at the end of the day it was still him driving the thing!

Anyways, his insurance costs him around about £400 per year. Just out of interest we looked online at various comparison sites, and managed to get a fully comprehensive quote for him on my Renault Clio 1.2 Grande of just £162. So why on earth is my cheapest quote on Compare The Market in the region of £4,200 for the same car?

I have spoke to various friends who were able to gain reasonable quotes of approximately £2,000 just last year, fully comprehensive with themselves as the policy holder and main driver. There should be absolutely no reason why prices have almost doubled in the space of twelve months.

Put simply, insurance companies are crippling kids my age simply because of the small minority who pass their test, get behind the wheel, and drive like complete tits for a few weeks before totaling their cars and then claiming off the insurance. Why should good drivers like myself be penalised simply because of them?

There are tons of so-called "responsible adults" who drink and drive. One of them ran my seven year old niece over several months ago, almost killing her. He got jailed as it was the third time such an incident has occurred, and has finally been banned from driving. But does the price of insurance rise for those over the age of 40? No.

Insurance companies exist for the simple reason that they're here to earn money. They are about NOT paying out where possible, as opposed to helping people get back on their feet financially following an accident as is mentioned. I read above about how someone said that youngsters shouldn't drive unless they can afford to insure their car...

My answer to that is that if insurance wasn't so awfully expensive in the first place, maybe more people would get insured legally! Besides, owning your own car is a responsibility. If you cause an accident, then in my opinion it should be YOUR responsibility to cover the cost of damages when that situation arises.

It's pointless wasting £4K a year unless you're actually planning to have an accident, surely? I'm also sure that if the financial consequences of crashing a vehicle were solely the responsibility of an owner, as opposed to the insurance companies, then drivers in general would have much more of an incentive to drive safely.

Something needs to change, quickly...

mg zr
i am one of those drivers but have no choice i got quotes for a 1997 1.2 Clio of £3.896 on me own. now i work full time but do not have that much for insurance when the car cost me £400, in the end it cost me £879 as a second driver with my gf as main driver with no no-claims for her on this car and me only having my licence a month and her only 2 years now i am sorry but i am not going to pay nearly a 1/4 of my wage on insurance when i can pay under 1/10th ,i will use the car more than her but i will not be moding or driving like a bell i don't think ill crash but u never no but if i was to crash i would take any problems that come with that.
i think you should get a chance of the insurers were you get a cheap car in your 1st year you get cheapish insurance (£1500) and if you crash (not ur fault) then yes quote me £3896 but for just wanting to drive no i refuse to pay it and if this makes me the criminal what does it make the insurance company when they are comiting daylight robbery.
see it from my side we all have to start driving but if you had to pay £3.5k + petrol + tax + mot = epic fail now i know everyone has to pay that but i would have no house and no food i would be homeless. i have to pay rent and utility's and all this on a aprentises wage i am afraid not just not possable come on give us a break
cheaper insurance for younger drivers now

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Insurance companies exist for the simple reason that they're here to earn money. They are about NOT paying out where possible, as opposed to helping people get back on their feet financially following an accident as is mentioned. I read above about how someone said that youngsters shouldn't drive unless they can afford to insure their car...

My answer to that is that if insurance wasn't so awfully expensive in the first place, maybe more people would get insured legally! Besides, owning your own car is a responsibility. If you cause an accident, then in my opinion it should be YOUR responsibility to cover the cost of damages when that situation arises.

LOL

Just seen this.

Who'd of thought it eh, insurance companies wanting to earn money. Anyone would think they are a business or something :S

So, your saying if you crash and cripple someone you can afford to pay for there medical and loss of earning for the rest of their life (possibly running into 7 figures depending who it is/what medical they need).

Why are you insuring it FC also? Its work £1K max, your excess will be almost that.

You need to go TPFT and ring people up, people who just go around the internet getting quotes and then complain of the price deserve to pay more imo.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
insurance costs are a disgrace and i agree i feel like the companys are arse holes, however i CAN NOT understand why people comit fraud.yea its s**t having to pay the amount we do and the companys do rip you off but you decide to own a car so you have to have insurance, if you feel so strongly against paying then dont own a car.simple as that. i f**king hate having to pay £1350 a year, it pisses me off and frustrates me how i have to work so hard just to be able to drive my car that i have worked so hard to be able to aford to buy in the first place. in 2 years ive payed £2700! what i could do with that money! thats a good start on a deposit for a house! if ive payed that much money on insurance and some ignorant arse hole crashed in to me and had no insurance and payed £0 imagine how you would feel

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Complaining about insurance prices whilst driving a 2.0 hot hatch is a fail for a start. Nobody is forcing anyone to drive. It's not a human right. If you're not happy, stop driving or get a cheaper/less performance orientated car. I've never paid more than £600 a year for insurance (I'm only 23, started driving at 18), due to being smart about what I bought and shopping around.

MR2 Mk1.5
Complaining about insurance prices whilst driving a 2.0 hot hatch is a fail for a start. Nobody is forcing anyone to drive. It's not a human right. If you're not happy, stop driving or get a cheaper/less performance orientated car. I've never paid more than £600 a year for insurance (I'm only 23, started driving at 18), due to being smart about what I bought and shopping around.

In my opinion complaning about high insurance prices for new/young drivers is a fail. 12 years ago when I was 17/18 I paid £1300 to insure a car which was worth £150 on a TPFT basis.

High insurance prices for for young/new drivers is not a new thing!

Ollie
Sky Insurance