ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my mpg normal?

I used to get about 32 average on my 182.

From driving mix of local and motorway. My work is 7 miles from home and about 4 ofthat is the motorway.

Now Im getting about 26 on average. Ive always used vpower. However when i use on the emergency off chance normal unleaded then i get more average mpg like about 35.

What tips are there for increasing it or finding out if there is anything wrong with the engine which causes low mpg.

I know I shouldnt be complaining since its a 2.0 haha but if there is something wrong with it I need to fix it.

Is 26mpg normal.

Miltek exhaust resonated, ramair foam panel filter, rest is standard engine wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Imo using v power gives absolutely no difference in mpg or any noticeable performance improvement .
Use std unleaded used it in mine from new to 89k never caused me any problems whatsoever However I drove it .

monaco 172
When i bought my 172 I was consistently getting 32 average. Then suddenly it dropped to 27.

Changed the pre cat lambda and now I average 35.

Mixed driving, my work is about 5 miles away and the route is all back roads.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Are you calculating it properly or replying on the on board figures the car provides? The only true way is to brim the tank. Drive it for a few days and fill it again. You can then see EXACTLY how much fuel has been used over what distance.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mine dropped, was the thermostat, had a hole in the rubber seal so the engine was never getting up to correct temp and just chucking fuel in

Are you calculating it properly or replying on the on board figures the car provides? The only true way is to brim the tank. Drive it for a few days and fill it again. You can then see EXACTLY how much fuel has been used over what distance.

Im relying on the onboard computer. Ill fill it up when the light comes on and Ill post the results. Is the onboard trip computer not as reliable?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Im relying on the onboard computer. Ill fill it up when the light comes on and Ill post the results. Is the onboard trip computer not as reliable?

Never tried on mine but on the Mrs daily tce the on board computer is usually reads between 3 and 4 mpg lower than working it out for myself when filling back up (comp reads 42ish average, real life 45/46 av)

I'd expect its a similar story with the rest too

dan's cast offs.
Did the ecu throw error codes for the pre cat lambda or is it a common issue?

i've seen more faulty pre cat lambdas NOT throw a code than those that do, you need to look at how it's switching to check it properly.

dan's cast offs.
need to scope/graph it to see if it's switching as it should and fully.

what mileage has it done?

dan's cast offs.
need something that will give you a graph so that rules out most cheapy ones.

think bosch recommend replacing at 90,000 miles?

monaco 172
If you know anybody who can get trade discount at euros then the Bosch ones are only about 50 quid.

I took a risk and just swapped it without paying for somebody to read live data and problem solved. They do seem a pretty common failure.

Hi All,

So i managed to find a copy of ScanMaster EML and graphed the Oxygen sensors data via a bluetooth ODB scanner.

I took the car for a run after starting it up for 5 minutes.

Looking at the graph for sensor #2 I can see no movement in the voltage at first. It only starts switching when I took it for a blast and probably got warmed up.
The two graphs seem quite similar. Am I right to think that the sensors are switching correctly?

I'm hoping a mechanic or an engineer can shed some light on this.

RED = Sensor 1

GREEN = Sensor 2

Graph%201_zpssfwtkv1c.png

Graph%202_zpsqyhssein.png

Graph%203_zpsgrylekre.png

Graph%204_zpsobfpfarj.png

Graph%205_zpsqqfdlpqb.png

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I think the post cat sensor should be a flatter line. They definitely shouldn't be the same. Mine were both the same and I had the emissions light on shortly after buying my 182 and it turned out my cat was completely empty, so my lambda traces were identical.

Ahh, i see. My cat I believe could be a "motorsport use only" cat. Because there is a little tag that says that on it. So either Its fine because the Cat that is on it is empty/motorsports use only cat or that the cat is messed up.

Not sure.