ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my Virgin Media bill high for what I'm getting?

Howdy chaps, I've got the day off sorting out bills etc, and the first one I need to sort is Virgin. My latest bill came through at £87 yesterday! Up from £73 due to their price rises (that's almost 20% btw!)

I'm currently getting:

Broadband XL (120mb)
TV XL
Phone M (the most basic as I don't use the landline)

No sport channels, or movies etc.

Does that sound high for just that? I keep reading where people are paying quite a lot less than that for pretty much every channel!

I did weigh up dropping the landline, as I don't use it, but when you drop the £15 line rental etc, the price doesn't change on their bundle calculator thing.

I'll ring up later, as I'm not over the moon paying 20% more, but wondered how that compared with other people.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
we have their preimer collection (whatever that is)

2 telephone line's (both on talk unlimited, with caller display etc)
XL TV with Tivo box and 1no additional V box plus sky sports and movies
broadband XL 60mb (why are you getting 120mb on the XL package and I'm not)

last months bill was £147 and I'm always thinking I'm getting ripped off. I've been with them for years.

Edit

the bill says

premiere collection £75.95
phone line rental £31.98 (for both lines)
premium add-on's £34.25

Last edited:

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Howdy chaps, I've got the day off sorting out bills etc, and the first one I need to sort is Virgin. My latest bill came through at £87 yesterday! Up from £73 due to their price rises (that's almost 20% btw!)

I'm currently getting:

Broadband XL (120mb)
TV XL

Does that sound high for just that? I keep reading where people are paying quite a lot less than that for pretty much every channel!

I did weigh up dropping the landline, as I don't use it, but when you drop the £15 line rental etc, the price doesn't change on their bundle calculator thing.

I'll ring up later, as I'm not over the moon paying 20% more, but wondered how that compared with other people.

That does seem high, but I imagine it's driven by having stuff which is out of different packs.

I think mine is £40, but that's for the M+ package across the board.

Have you had a look what it would be as a new customer?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Mine sounds fairly comparable tbh (but I do think it's too expensive) and will be leaving at the end of the contract.

IIRC we are on:

TV XL
Phone (although I've no idea on the specifics, but I think its entry level service)
2 x TIVOs
60MB Broadband

We pay approx. £70-£80 a month.

clio 182 turbo

I'm currently getting:

Broadband XL (120mb)
TV XL

i have this and pay £52 per month .

Clio 197 F1
Mine sounds fairly comparable tbh (but I do think it's too expensive) and will be leaving at the end of the contract.

IIRC we are on:

TV XL
Phone (although I've no idea on the specifics, but I think its entry level service)
2 x TIVOs
60MB Broadband

We pay approx. £70-£80 a month.
We have this but I have 120mb Internet and we pay £74 I think. Called to say we were changing back to sky and they gave us 2 Tevo boxes and lowered our bill IIRC.

hmmm.....sounds about normal then.

I'm only 6 months into my contract so i can't play the longtime customer card.

Found out the extra £11 was due to some discount running out, but my current monthly is £76.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The longtime customer card did nothing with Sky, hence moving to Virgin, but it does p*ss me off because almost weekly we get calls & post from Sky trying to get us back (its a bit late when I've entered an 18 month contract with Virgin!) despite telling them this over and over they continue to bombard us with sales calls.

Cayman S Edition 1
I've just downgraded from the VIP package which was around £116 a month.

Now have 60MB broadband, Tivo downstairs, standard box upstairs, telephone (free calls weekend only), all the channels except movies and sports.

Comes out at £59

HUGE SAVING!

Arctic 182 FF
With Virgin we have

120mb broadband
XL TV
XL Phone with talk unlimited
Multiroom (Tivo downstairs, V Box upstairs)
All movies and all sports

Monthly bill is £92.99pm

Our previous Sky deal was about £120pm for the same, without multiroom and only free calls at the weekend

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Never had virgin tv, but I pay around £80 quid for multi room sky tv + movies and 60mb virgin bb. So yes I'd say you are gettin screwed over.

If it helps I pay circa £30 for their 60mb broadband

Your getting ripped off then as I'm only paying £20 odd quid fixed for 2 years.

Ring up and complain I'm sure they'll sort you out a deal, that's what I do.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Never had virgin tv, but I pay around £80 quid for multi room sky tv + movies and 60mb virgin bb. So yes I'd say you are gettin screwed over.

Your getting ripped off then as I'm only paying £20 odd quid fixed for 2 years.

Ring up and complain I'm sure they'll sort you out a deal, that's what I do.

thats the only deal they had for the 60mb. Plus I'm in a fixed contract. Pots they're upping my speeds to 100mb for free so I don't really have grounds to complain

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Jesus, I have no packages on anything and I swear last time I looked everything was about £10 p/m lol... must have been more than 10 years ago mind. Makes me so glad I don't have one!

Liquid Yellow 182
I pay £12.50 for fully everything :O, they got deals on at the mon for prem collection, additional box and phone and 60meg broadband for £45 i think it is.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
rang these guys up today. I've been paying around £130/month for full sports and cinema, extra TV box, full landline facilities and 150 meg tinternet.

I noticed a VIP package offered online at £85/month which gave basically more of everything I have and two of their new V6 boxes. Spoke to their guy on the phone and got offered my same shitty deal but at £123/month and he said that the VIP offer is only for new customers (which I knew already).

I asked how long I'd been with them - 11 years. Wow it is true you get feck all for being loyal.

So I ask how long I need to leave for to come back as a new customer, and it's only 90 days plus 30 day disconnection so 120 days in total.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
rang these guys up today. I've been paying around £130/month for full sports and cinema, extra TV box, full landline facilities and 150 meg tinternet.

I noticed a VIP package offered online at £85/month which gave basically more of everything I have and two of their new V6 boxes. Spoke to their guy on the phone and got offered my same shitty deal but at £123/month and he said that the VIP offer is only for new customers (which I knew already).

I asked how long I'd been with them - 11 years. Wow it is true you get feck all for being loyal.

So I ask how long I need to leave for to come back as a new customer, and it's only 90 days plus 30 day disconnection so 120 days in total.

Ouch.

Go thru and ask for disconnections.. be firm and be prepared to leave.

If you get booted out, sign back up with the other half's name next week .. tell them you're renting and just moved in.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Ouch.

Go thru and ask for disconnections.. be firm and be prepared to leave.

If you get booted out, sign back up with the other half's name next week .. tell them you're renting and just moved in.
Just got put through to disconnections, managed to get the VIP package with two new V6 boxes for £100/month. The new customer deal is an 18 month contract and is £85 for the first 12 months then £120 for the last six, so the 12 months at £100 that I got works out about a fiver more per month.

Happy but not happy at the same time. Where's the loyalty discount.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
We wouldn't as a society be jumping into every other service providers bed (broadband, electric, water, etc) - if they offered something in the way to attract customer retention.

Its ridiculous that there's such a gap in pricing between new customers and long established ones. It's 'accepted' that if you're not happy - then you'll jump ship and may return several months later. It's a crappy short-termed view all round, imo

Listerine & Poledo
It's not really a "loyalty" bonus if you're trying to bone them over.

"I'm off unless you cut me a deal"
Fine, you'll be disconnected on the....
"WHat! WAIT! No ,I !!....."
Sorry, you wanted to leave, yes?
"No, I wanted a deal"
Then next time, maybe don't be such a mercenary prick eh? Thanks for calling Virgin media, go suck a dick ,have a nice day.

Don't get me wrong, I do it to Sky every year, but just remembering that they can call my bluff at anytime and I'll have to make good on my move to BT

Its ridiculous that there's such a gap in pricing between new customers and long established ones. It's 'accepted' that if you're not happy - then you'll jump ship and may return several months later. It's a crappy short-termed view all round, imo

The pricing is typically that which the existing customer base has, however deals are laid on to attract new customers, with the principle that eventually they'll pay the price quoted. You're absolutely right though, this is what generates churn, hence why Sky make people wait 12 months before coming back for a "New customer discount"