ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking up the car using the subframe!

Fabia vRS
Hi guys,

I got a trolley jack and some jack stands from Santa and was trying them out the other day. Until I read Edde's post http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166491 I realised I may have jacked the car up in the wrong place. I jacked it up using the triangular subframe plates and placed the jack stands under the subframe close to the wishbones. Although I have not noticed any structural damage or felt anything different with the driving, I am just paranoid I may have caused some damage. Can anyone here alleviate my fears? If not feel free to label me a complete prat for not reading Edde's guide first :rasp: !!

The only minor damage caused are some scratches caused by the jack stands contacting the subframe, therefore revealing a shiny metallic surface under the stratch. Will the subframe now start rusting from these scratches?

Thanks for your help :approve:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If its not bent, don't worry!

Touch in the scratches if you want but the metal is quite thick and won't rust for another 10 years or so yet!

Don't worry about it. (But also, don't jack a car up on the subframe! lol)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
strongest part of the car!!!! always jack on the subframe if you can

You clearly haven't seen the state of my subframe on my valver. Whoever jacked it up did it using the middle of the frame and its now like a banana. Hence why I bought a new one!

(I jack mine up on the bolts where the frame meets the chassis, never had a problem)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
I wouldnt jack a car on the subframe tbh, as like edde i do it the same as him basicly as its much stronger than the sills/subframe. so you wont have to worry about damaging it etc.

As Daniel mentioned it wont rust for a good few years, mine 7yrs old and no rust on subframe so ul be allright.

Edit: im slow at typing. but still disagree with sideways danny :)

ITB'd MK1
You clearly haven't seen the state of my subframe on my valver. Whoever jacked it up did it using the middle of the frame and its now like a banana. Hence why I bought a new one!

(I jack mine up on the bolts where the frame meets the chassis, never had a problem)

well i use proper jacks with large saddles. Issues come from using small jacks with tiny saddles that concentrate the load.

ValverInBits
Valvers are awesome. Jacked mine on the dogbone/subframe mount before without issue, also other points toward the back of the subframe.

Found the 172 a bit of a pain to jack. I tried holding that car with axle stands on the chassis legs as eddie suggests and jesus it didn't half make some horrible noises! Never doing that again.
I used wooden blocks and the jacking points for the axle stands from then on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
well i use proper jacks with large saddles. Issues come from using small jacks with tiny saddles that concentrate the load.

Oh yeah. The 'crush' marks were about an inch big. Smallest jack in the world??

My cars been on stands for the best part of a year and has massive wodden blocks to sperad the load. I'm paranoid now! lol.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Valvers are awesome. Jacked mine on the dogbone/subframe mount before without issue, also other points toward the back of the subframe.

Found the 172 a bit of a pain to jack. I tried holding that car with axle stands on the chassis legs as eddie suggests and jesus it didn't half make some horrible noises! Never doing that again.
I used wooden blocks and the jacking points for the axle stands from then on.

Dont see how your gettin problems tbh, mines on axle stands for past 3weeks on them points, and no problem atall, also what noises?

Clio 172 RS2
That's also the best to do, use wooden blocks to spread the load / jack working its way in without.

Better safe & sound!