ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JoeyD's MX5 NC Recaro

Well, I managed to get my RSR's fitted, there's a little bit of scrubbing at the rear, but I reckon a few taps with a hammer on the arch lip and it'll be sorted, it's only very slight. Looks way better than on those tiny 40 profile AD08's anyway!

I finally gave it a wash (thanks Seb!)
32539642705_82a78316b1_z.jpg

32539644795_5c5bda08bf_z.jpg

And I've got the Wilwoods on. Tried bedding them in yesterday, not sure how much of a good job I've done but they bloody stop well! Would definitely recommend! Kinda wish they looked a little bigger behind the wheel, but then that would mean changing disc size and that pushes the cost up a bit too much really. Thanks to Stewart at FreakyParts for supplying these!
32160316410_fdb90a7a4b_c.jpg

I've also fitted an IL motorsports manifold, but no pictures (or videos) of that yet. I'm working on it. It was a bit of a pig to fit really, quite a tight squeeze getting the OEM one out and the wideband sensor needs extending too - annoyingly they supply a loom extension for the sensor that doesn't need moving, not the one that does. Odd. Anyway, aside from sounding great, it feels a lot more eager from 3k onwards. I imagine a remap compliments this nicely, so that's probably next on the to-do list. I've also received a pair of RX8 ARB's but I'm in no rush to fit those currently, I need a break from being underneath the thing! I'm also eyeing up a GCFab roll bar, but can't decide between the diagonal and the V...
Here's a few more pictures anyway.
32160316580_ae287dd2df_c.jpg

31727363123_aa9e381a06_c.jpg

32160316910_7a0ee6732b_c.jpg

31727363393_64456c7dca_c.jpg

Seriously love driving this thing at the moment. It's really similar to my old MK1, but with everything just switched up to 11; speed, grip, noise. Love it.

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
That looks cracking you've come along way since that BBQ at mine in your first red one!

Thanks for the kind words chaps! Makes all the scuffed knuckles, cut up hands and aching back worth it when you stand back and it looks like that!

That looks cracking you've come along way since that BBQ at mine in your first red one!
Haha, yeah just a bit!! Blimey that was so long ago wasn't it... Amazing the difference having a proper job makes.
I can't tell you how jealous I am of that red Golf of yours! Looks superb mate!

That looks epic! Just needs another 100hp now :wink:
I keep thinking this but... I've been offered a second hand turbo kit, but for the amount it's going to cost (especially after what I've already spent on it!) I just can't justify it. Not yet anyway...

Yep, that's awesome.
What else is on the list? Can only be more power
As above, not really sure I need/want more power for now. I drive a Transit all week anyway, so this feels like a flipping rocket ship whenever I eventually drive it. I've been offered this turbo kit and inquired about some cams, but for the money they don't make sense.. I want to get some track time in it, then see what it needs. I've got these ARB's to fit, still got the carbon lip to fit and then just alignment and remap probably.
I reeeaaally want this JetStream intake but it's daft money shipped to the UK 😞 Especially when it doesn't really do much.
14-2014-05-25-_thumb.jpg

I need to stop spending on this and start saving for my next house anyway, that way I'll have room for this and a MK1!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tough one?

Surely if it's 2nd hand then whatever you pay- you could recoup if/when you sell the car by taking the turbo off and selling it separately ?

That said these are 160 as standard aren't they? I always thought a Mk1 MX5 with a 172 engine would be a laugh (if it would fit). These are a bit heavier though so you'll want nearer 200 for it to start becoming spicey? What does the turbo give you...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I love it. One of my favourite cars on the forum! Never thought I would see silver wheels work so well with white!

Keep up the good work! I've driven quite a few mk3s and thing they're a great buy!

Tough one?

Surely if it's 2nd hand then whatever you pay- you could recoup if/when you sell the car by taking the turbo off and selling it separately ?

That said these are 160 as standard aren't they? I always thought a Mk1 MX5 with a 172 engine would be a laugh (if it would fit). These are a bit heavier though so you'll want nearer 200 for it to start becoming spicey? What does the turbo give you...

True enough, same with all the other parts I guess, but unfortunately I can't spend another ~£4k on a car I don't really even need in the first place. There's also the question of reliability - the turbo kits seem to have a habit of melting when subjected to track use and I cba with all that - I just want to kick it's head in and forget about it. Blink Motorsport do a supercharger kit which might be worth a look, but they still start at £5k! So at the moment, it's all a bit costly - unlike the MK1's where you can make 240hp for pennies.

You'd be surprised by the weight, the MK1's aren't as light as everyone thinks - 1.8 MK1's are about 1020kg, a 2.0 MK3 soft top is around 1080kg. Mine will be a little more due to the roof mechanism, but there's really not a lot in it.
158hp standard, this will be around 180hp when it's mapped. 200hp with cams (around £1k ffs!) Boost gives 300+hp quite easily..

I love it. One of my favourite cars on the forum! Never thought I would see silver wheels work so well with white!

Keep up the good work! I've driven quite a few mk3s and thing they're a great buy!

Yeah I was completely unsure at first. I have @sofaboy to thank for convincing me white and silver would work! I was all for black wheels for so long but it just seems like the obvious choice now doesn't it!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I was going to say about the BBR Super 175/180 kits but it sounds like you've done most of it anyway.

Why are cams so expensive? that's Clio cams sort of money including a belt change isn't it.

Yeah, this is essentially a 180 kit once it's mapped. Minus a panel filter lol.
No idea why cams are so much really. Blink told me they've stopped doing them now, but they had to charge around £1100 because they cost so much to buy from the supplier. BBR's cams look like great value at £649 until you add VAT, fitting and mapping, then it's even more than Blink. Shame, but there you go!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I'd guess 200 would be enough to make it a bit more lively I guess. I might have missed the bit about cams, are you getting them? Even 180 (if that's what you end up on with a map) would be pretty sick. I mean, it's not going to be a drift machine, but that's not why you buy an MX5 anyway.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I guess your at the top end without significant money being spent then.

Slightly off topic but Interested to hear whether you'd go down the N/A tuning route with a mk1 again in the future?

Yeah I'd guess 200 would be enough to make it a bit more lively I guess. I might have missed the bit about cams, are you getting them? Even 180 (if that's what you end up on with a map) would be pretty sick. I mean, it's not going to be a drift machine, but that's not why you buy an MX5 anyway.
Not for now, if Blink start supplying cams again I might consider it. But to be honest it doesn't really feel that slow to me - like I said I'm driving a Transit Monday to Friday so this feels plenty quick enough at the moment. I've been out in a mates M140i and while it's all good fun being thrown in the back of your seat, there's no way you can drive at 10/10ths in the same way as an MX5 - that's all part of the appeal for me.
I don't think it's ever going to be doing skids - not on these tyres anyway, they're bloody massive! lol

I guess your at the top end without significant money being spent then.

Slightly off topic but Interested to hear whether you'd go down the N/A tuning route with a mk1 again in the future?
Yeah it's one of those. It's just a bit too much money when I don't even really know whether it needs it yet. I'll try it on track first and then I'll have a better idea how slow (or otherwise) it is.

That's a tricky one! I think the MK1 would suit a really good N/A engine, but the standard engine fitted in the MK1 is really horrible. It never really felt happy being revved high and it never made a very nice noise (aside from the ITB's)
So if you were sticking with the standard MK1 engine, I'd 100% turbo it. If you wanted N/A power, I reckon a MK3 engine would actually be a really good upgrade!
Ultimate would be a V8 IMO. I'd absolutely love a V8 MK1!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
That's a tricky one! I think the MK1 would suit a really good N/A engine, but the standard engine fitted in the MK1 is really horrible. It never really felt happy being revved high and it never made a very nice noise (aside from the ITB's)
So if you were sticking with the standard MK1 engine, I'd 100% turbo it. If you wanted N/A power, I reckon a MK3 engine would actually be a really good upgrade!
Ultimate would be a V8 IMO. I'd absolutely love a V8 MK1!
Ooh interesting, I've got a mk1 1.8 engine in the garage that needs a head skim and I can't get the idea of building a NA engine out of my head.
I'm about a millimetre away from chopping the Clio in for a mk1 so I'm trying to do some planning.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Brilliant work mate, my standard one is a riot; I bet this is a right giggle!

How do you rate the Tein's Joey?

Last edited:
Ooh interesting, I've got a mk1 1.8 engine in the garage that needs a head skim and I can't get the idea of building a NA engine out of my head.
I'm about a millimetre away from chopping the Clio in for a mk1 so I'm trying to do some planning.

You could make decent power for sure, but it's just not a happy engine. And then when you weigh up the cost vs results of N/A and boost its kind of a no-brainer really! IMO anyway. ITB's are a nice novelty, but a bit useless for going fast. Internals have low compression etc...

Brilliant work mate, my standard one is a riot; I bet this is a right giggle!

How do you rate the Tein's Joey?

How are you getting on with yours Luke? Enjoying it? Bet the standard car is a great little thing to use everyday.

If I'm being really honest, the Teins are a little bit crap for purely road use. They don't seem to have quite enough travel and they're a bit too stiff - but I'm hoping that they're well suited to the track. If I were to buy again, I'd 100% save up for Ohlins. They're a few hundred quid more but they're supposedly unbeatable as an all rounder.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
@JoeyD nice to hear an honest review mate. I didn't realise how much of the thread I've missed (don't get on here a massive amount nowadays) and you've done such a good jon with it dude; I love the steering wheel!

I'll be honest, it's the only car I've clicked with since owning my Trophy all those years ago. It's the perfect daily for me; I'm quite lucky as my commute is 15/20 miles of one of the best roads in Hampshire! Really enjoying it in the cold weather too; it's not really powerful enough to get you in massive amounts of trouble but lively enough to have a giggle in.

I actually had a few plans for it when I first got it but all my income goes towards wedding plans and a potential new house next year. Getting older sucks. Lol.

Keep it up mate, look forward to seeing where you go next with it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I had Tein Flex on my Mk1. They were rubbish.

I used to hang round with this lad who worked for a Jap car importer and he would get MX5s through the company account so he'd always have the most ridiculously JDM cars. One of them had this curved cage and Ohlins and it just drove so well. That was a lovely car. Thinking back I wish I'd not ruined mine tbh - I'd probably have kept it for years more.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Someones building a K24 one with a S2000 gearbox. Will have bodies too. Should be 300bhp n/a! Want.

@JoeyD nice to hear an honest review mate. I didn't realise how much of the thread I've missed (don't get on here a massive amount nowadays) and you've done such a good jon with it dude; I love the steering wheel!

I'll be honest, it's the only car I've clicked with since owning my Trophy all those years ago. It's the perfect daily for me; I'm quite lucky as my commute is 15/20 miles of one of the best roads in Hampshire! Really enjoying it in the cold weather too; it's not really powerful enough to get you in massive amounts of trouble but lively enough to have a giggle in.

I actually had a few plans for it when I first got it but all my income goes towards wedding plans and a potential new house next year. Getting older sucks. Lol.

Keep it up mate, look forward to seeing where you go next with it.
You're lucky, I don't have many excuses to actually drive the thing at the moment - just kinda sits there most of the time.
Yep, I think I've spent quite enough for now! Going to have to start saving for my next house too, I would have got that turbo kit otherwise but my Mrs would have killed me!

I had Tein Flex on my Mk1. They were rubbish.

I used to hang round with this lad who worked for a Jap car importer and he would get MX5s through the company account so he'd always have the most ridiculously JDM cars. One of them had this curved cage and Ohlins and it just drove so well. That was a lovely car. Thinking back I wish I'd not ruined mine tbh - I'd probably have kept it for years more.
These are MonoSports, new style with the separate height/pre-load adjustment - they're okay, but like I said a bit stiff for road use. TBH I do sometimes wish I'd kept my old ITB'd MK1, there's just something about them isn't there. I always seem to make the mistake of making my cars a bit crap for road use... but they do look good! haha

That looks great, proper pics too!
Cheers mate!

Someones building a K24 one with a S2000 gearbox. Will have bodies too. Should be 300bhp n/a! Want.
Bloody hell sounds like effort. If you're doing all that and getting rid of the PPF I'd just V8 it! Cheapest way for NA power on these seems to be a 2.5 out of a Mazda 6 easily over 200hp & 200lb-ft with just an exhaust manifold.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
These are MonoSports, new style with the separate height/pre-load adjustment - they're okay, but like I said a bit stiff for road use. TBH I do sometimes wish I'd kept my old ITB'd MK1, there's just something about them isn't there. I always seem to make the mistake of making my cars a bit crap for road use... but they do look good! haha

They look similar. Flex is an old model now (I bought them circa 10 years ago) that was meant to be entry level competition suspension (£1100 rrp). Like I said though, overpriced jap tat if you ask me. Luckily someone took them off my hands for a half decent price so they didn't cost me too much in the end.

Mk1s are fun, they're just too old now to own without becoming money pits quickly (unless you can settle for the sloppy suspension and underpowered engine)

That said, if I wanted a roadster to spend money on, I'd do it with a Mk3 MR2. Honda K20 engine swap, stripped with a cage, standard dampers- lowered springs and stiff ARBs. Would be an epic project/weekend car. After you've spent nearly 10k though I think a Caterham would be a better investment.

Did a quick exhaust video, kinda gives an idea of the sound after fitting the manifold. I had a play around with the position of the microphone, so it sounds a bit different throughout and also probably doesn't sound too good through headphones either - bit distorted at times...

Needs mapping now to get rid of that engine light and hopefully add a little more power.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Looks like you're having fun, shed loads of it. What sort of power would you expect before/after remap with your manifold etc? Sorry if already mentioned!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Having nearly 200hp/Ton with cams must be amazing in these. TBH they can't be a slouch standard

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Looks cracking.

I wonder why Mazda never released a quick version. They definitely have the platform for more power.