ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

juddering steering wheel

yeah thought of that too, i think ill get it checked out although i did get it all checked only 6 months ago??? cheers

Yeah, I had this when I first had my 16v - it was down to tracking, balancing, and a dent in one of the crap aftermarket wheels my car came with. Put on some refurbed Phase2 wheels and all was fine.

ill get it checked, my cars on 17s and lowered 50mm, but the problem has only come up in the last week, cheers for your help guys

Yeh i get the same prob:(

I recently changed my front wheels to the back and vice versa, due to tyre wear.

Then when i hit above 60 steering wheel starts to judder, before then it was fine, but thing is that the wheels that were on the rear were on the front at some point as I changed the perviously to, but had no probs then.

What is it then wheel bearing? or balancing? or tracking? or to much bonking in the car:oops:

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have had the same problem on my 172, but at about 80mph.

I had it laser tracked today, and its all cured! (and handles better as well!) :D

Downside was it cost nearly £40. :(

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 09 May 2003

I have had the same problem on my 172, but at about 80mph.

I had it laser tracked today, and its all cured! (and handles better as well!) :D

Downside was it cost nearly £40. :(

Sounds cheap to me where do you get that done from?

£40!!!!!!!! Jesus thats way too expensive!!!!!!!!:mad: Normal price on average is between £19-£25 inc vat! Thats for laser trcking using the latest equipment

Can some1 help a clueless idiot here?

What exactly is the difference between Tracking and Alignment.

Is tracking where the 2 wheels may be slighly facing echother?

what is alignment then?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

ak16v, calm down ;)

I got it done at Elite in Rainham, just off the A13. There are only a few places in the country with the alignment gear as advanced as theirs.

Take a look at http://www.elitedirect.comwww.elitedirect.com

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

for a clio its £35.19, and at the end you get a lovely colour printout of all your wheel angles before and after.

ok, went to the local tyre/balancing/alignment centre last night, and they quickly noticed the problem, a huge great bloody bulge on the inner wall of the tyre!!! the guy said he had never seen such a big bulge (ahem!), not good, glad i spotted it now though!!

Funnily (or not) I went to get my tracking checked the other week because the steering wheel was wobbling about all over the place. Had it tracked up and he said it was way out. Now I know your tracking can be knocked out again virtually as soon as you leave the tracking place. But my car seemed to be fine for a bit, then I went to my mates and we went down some really dodgy roads. Just had the car MOTd and he siad I had un even tyre wear at the front. So swaping em around today. But I did notice last night that when I was driving downt he bypass at 70 the wheel wobbled (quite a bit) at 80 it was virtually ripping my arms off. About an hour later going the other way at 70 there was no wobble at all. You could feel a bit of movement but I think that was the road. Didnt feel anything like what it had done. Didnt go to 80 as a copper was knocking around near me. Could I have knocked the tracking back in line again or could the camber of the road have something to do with it? Because going one way its a lot of slow left bends and going back its a lot of slow right bends.

Paul

Tracking do you understand what it is and does?

You cannot alter the tracking but just driving. You need a physical force to bend something to alter the tracking.

Or depending on how its tracked you have a dodgy bush/bearing and it sitds a certain way so its tracked for that when you move off the trackign alters.

A favourite for this is accelerating then backking off and you get a clonk and a light feeling in the wheel for a second, the bottom balljoints like to wiggle after a while.

As for your wobble most likely a bent rim, warped tyre or dodgy driveshaft.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I had the steering judder too, I though I had knocked the wheel out of alignment as when I was going along some b-road a car was coming the other way so we both had to kinda leave the road to pass each other, my wheel went into a big rut.

On the motorway on the way back the steering wheel was judering badly at about 70mph.

When I got home I checked the wheels to find a big blob of mud stuck to the inside of the wheel.

1 smelly dirty hand later and all the crap removed.. cured.. Its amazing what a little mud can do to such sensitivly balanced wheels.

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_H on 13 May 2003

You cannot alter the tracking but just driving. You need a physical force to bend something to alter the tracking.

Yes I understand, but going down a pothole will do it wont it?

You have odviosly never been to Worksop or surrounding areas. The words disrepair dont even come close to the condition of most of the roads.

Paul

never been in glasgow have you! We lose 10 people a year down ours, helicopters try in vain to save the victims.

It needs to be a pretty big pothole to knock it out substanially.

anyway the tracking does not a judder make. If tracking brings up a judder then its caused by the stress of something else thats dodgy.

Mr2 Roadster

When you get new tires lots of garages only balance the front two whells and dont bother with the rears... Hence why when you swap them round you get judder...