ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just been 'given' a new lens...........

dk

911 GTS Cab
work have had a lens returned because the guy says it doesn't take pictures properly in certain scenarios.

So my boss asked me if i wanted to try it out to see if its any good, i need to find out how old it is to see if i can send it back to canon under warranty if it is broken.

Not had a chance to use it yet, only got it today but its a lens i've been looking at getting and nearly bought instead of my 17-55 F2.8 IS.

Not bad for free though and if its knackered (although i highly doubt it is, guy probably wanted the money or something, he'd cut the barcode off so claimed the cashback on it lol) i'll try and send it back to canon, can make up my own invoice if i need lol.

Anyway, its the canon 24-70 F2.8 L

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...nses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_2470mm_f28L_USM/index.asp

anyone got one or know of anybody who has and has any experience of it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm looking forward to comparing it to the 17-55 f2.8 IS, very similar spec lenses really and people say it should have been an L lens, plus it has IS over this 24-70, will give it a good try over christmas.

Ian

Focus TDCi
The only reason the 17-55 isn't an L lens is because it's an EF-s fit, oh and the build quality. That's honestly it; it even uses L-grade glass.

However the 24-70mm is widely regarded as being one of the best lenses available, especially for wedding togs and the like.

Lol @ in certain scenarios.

Surely a lens is either working or broken? He probably means it was blurry or something and blamed the lens when it was 1/2sec exposure and he cant hold it still. Lol.

dk

911 GTS Cab
What do you do DK?
i'm a technical consultant for an IT reseller, do storage servers and vmware etc.

So bugger all to do with cameras, i did ask my boss why we had sold a lens (would have the ability to through distribution as a company but we sell computers, would have been one of our customers seeing if we could get it cheaper for him i guess).

it was offered to the chairman but hes a nikon boy and said to my boss, the ops director that i was a canon man, happy days, its a £1k+ lens!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol @ in certain scenarios.

Surely a lens is either working or broken? He probably means it was blurry or something and blamed the lens when it was 1/2sec exposure and he cant hold it still. Lol.
exactly what i was thinking, need to just try it out, i've heard certain issues with lenses where they struggle to focus at certain points or orientations etc. could just be back focusing i guess, which i should be able to fix with the 50d.

anyway, i'll give it a go, if its knackered i will get it repaired under warranty lol.

SchwepTek™
My house mate has it.

Absolutely fantastic and he swears by it.

Havent seen one bad picture from it tbh.

Oil Burner
It may just be a bad copy. Canon suffer from them just as much as the next company. I've just recieved my replacement 70-200 f2.8 as the last one was awful.

It is a pro lens so if someone says they have had issues chances are it's genuine. But like you say get it sent to Colchester cameras etc for a warranty repair and your laughing.