ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just got 172 few probs

ph2 172
Right just picked up my 172 tonight and im having a few problems, worried ive brought a nail now, anyway everything was fine until i nipped to the shop turned the car off then when i tried to start it again the dash lights came on and it wouldnt turn over just started making an awful ticking noise sounded electrical, anyway managed to jump start it drove 400m back to house and now it seems to start fine, im confused ive done a few searches but cant find anything that includes the weird ticking noise also now there is a funny buzzing/humming noise coming from where the interior light is, anyone had similar problems? cheers

arctic 182 black wheels
humming noise is motor inside the light unit, same problem on mine phoned renault and they said car was an import

arctic 182 black wheels
not really, no difference in uk car and nothin on doc's 2 say it is, but they said it wud be worth a grand less so they gave me £500 and 2yr warranty, luckily coz my driveshaft went 2wks l8r

ph2 172
i feel like ive been stiched up, it doesnt say anywhere on hpi or anything about it being an import how the hell is anyone to know! bit gutted now.

arctic 182 black wheels
i gave renault my chassis no. and reg and it cum bak as a parallel import which makes no sense 2 me but i wud check with them 2moro, also all my m8s have got a little red l.e.d next 2 there gear stick but mine hasn't by the way they are all 182's so not 2 sure about 172

Clio 172
it wouldnt start once and you think you've bought a dud. lol, think thats a bit of a quick judgement. whats the rest of the car like? mileage? previous owners? etc etc etc.

ph2 172
got it private paid 3650 for it 52 reg fsh with 59000 3 previous owners looking around i thought it was a fair price for the condition. so does having the fan in the light bit mean its an import car?
true what you say about wont start once just panicing i guess, now im bloody worried its an import, mine has got a ittle led next to the gearstick. anyone else know anything about any differences between uk and import?

Last edited:
  arctic 182 black wheels
not 2 sure m8, like i say all my m8's didn't have and mine did and it come an import, the worst thing was i foned trading standards and they said dealerships don't have 2 advertise that it's an import

with the not starting ,
i have found that the batterys on these have to be 100% i have tried putting a perfectly good battery off another car on the 172 and wouldnt start just made the clicking noise as you say i would recommend putting one on it especially with winter around the corner because it will only get worse with the temp change ...
the car could of been stood for a while and let go flat due to lack of use ...
hope this helps ..

Clio 172
mine hasnt got a red led next to the gear stick. i think they are related to the alarm system but i dont think that all UK models were fitted with one. so that doesnt mean it is deffo an import because it doesnt have one. not 100% sure though.

ph2 172
yeah im going to get a new battery tomorrow and see how it goes from there. going to have to ring renault up tomorrow and find out about this import thing.

ph2 172
just dont want to hear any bad news, its a bit wrong how ther is no way of finding out on the hpi or v5 and have to ring renault, might be worth adding to the buyers guide.

arctic 182 black wheels
good luck m8, hope its not BUT if it is don't back down, either take the car back or get some money back off them, update plz when u find out

In between cars....
Im not fussed tbh, if its not listed on the HPI it cant be that important, theyre the same car so i wouldnt loose any sleep over it :)

ph2 172
yeah true, i know what the guy bought it for origanally and it doesnt seem an import reflected price, also a quick search people say import differences are no alarm, no window etching and no locking wheel nuts mine has all that apart from cant see window etching cant see very well its dark.

In between cars....
Ive got all the above as well, happy days!! lol wouldnt worry about things to much buddy, new car jitters!!

ph2 172
lol nor do they nick windows ie no etching strange people across the pond, but surely someone could just fit locking wheel nuts after, mine has lock wheel nuts and alarm but no etcing

Clio 182
If its an import when you run a HPI check on it it wont give you an engine number and sometimes will not give the full vehichle trim. It may just say renault clio.