ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just took my acoustic valve out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I still need to take mine out. Which pipe is it that I need to plug?

Peperami said:
Not arguing for or against, but why do renault fit them if it slows the car down?
Noise restrictions having it lower the noise ofr places like switxerland

Phase 1 172's don't have it.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Without wishing to start a billion page thread...is the noise that much different? Obviously if it was fitted to restrict noise...why have i answered my own question?? lol

R35 GTR
Trophy 298/500 asked Acoustic Valve on Clio Trophy's Induction Cold Air Feed

Can someone with an intimate knowledge of the design and manafacture of the 182 please explain exactly why there is an electronically operated valve in one of the two air feeds to the air box? It is creating a lot of interest on certain forums and I'm sure there is a valid reason for it's presence but it would be useful to know what it is doing as removing it seems to improve pick-up and engine response without any obvious detrimental effects elsewhere.

Allen Collen responded on the 27-07-2006 The indution noise will be different if you remove it - there could be some marginal improvement in performance but only if there was not enough air available when the butterfly was open. It is controled by the ECU and its objective was to reduce induction noise in line with an EU directive.
http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/experts/questiondetail.asp?QuestionID=882&ExpertID=6&TopicID=1

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i dont have any data to back this up, but it definately works, there is a definate sharper throttle response. MPG has gone up by 1-2 as well, not bad, lol.

Clio 172 mk2
Chat to Ben R about it

There has been quite a few threads on this valve and he basically reckoned the engine can't 'see' the valve anyway.

i had a great guide to remove this and when i got the wheel liner of the could get the spanner wrench of the bolt to take the valve of bugger!! so i put everything back on and gave up however listening to this for something free i think i will have another try at this i get some better air feed to go into the standard air box with an itg air filter?...would this work quite well?

182 Full Fat
clidge said:
i had a great guide to remove this and when i got the wheel liner of the could get the spanner wrench of the bolt to take the valve of bugger!! so i put everything back on and gave up however listening to this for something free i think i will have another try at this i get some better air feed to go into the standard air box with an itg air filter?...would this work quite well?

Yeah speak to andy905 on here re the air feed. Im still really ahppy with results!:cool:

Golf GTI PP Mk7
^not convinced? lol. tbh i didnt think itd make any difference, only did it for the sound.

took it off, doesnt sound much different but like i said, its much sharper. god knows why.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Removed mine a long time ago, cant say I noticed any difference. Same with de-cat and all other minor mods like that.

It's probably just a performance placebo ;)

Removed mine from my cup this evening, just been for a spin around the block - sounds better and seems a little quicker, couldn't really test it properly as its raining and i aint got abs ;-)

VaVa
placebo.jpg

Clio 172
If your old valve had failed or seized in the shut position or wasn't opening all the way it's 100% possible removing it will make the car feel better, you might have just got used to the slight reduction in performance you had before. That's assuming the valve is the only intake, if the air box has got another opening I might be chatting s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.