ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Killed my brakes!

182cup & 172 racecar
God like, lol no.

Just wish people would actually read their own posts etc, before posting.

Bet most the people don't even know the weight of their car etc, which is another deciding factor in brake choice.

Plus we've had millions of brake threads, and all these include somebody who has managed to warp discs!!

I'll go now and leave you all to it.

Clio's don't need 2k brakes.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Had brake fade in the 182 FF i had but that was at the end of a long track day and the pads were low and the discs were well worn. Replaced them and they were all I could want. I really can't fault the standard setup in the Clios. The Cup has really nice brakes. Work great in the wet despite the lack of ABS. For the 15min sessions most of us rank amateurs should be doing they do just fine.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The last track day I did, I had to emergency fit some £17 halfords pads in the paddock area after the ds2500's fell apart after 2 laps.

I shared the car with a mate so it was out all day and the brakes were fine! Obviously not as responsive as the higher end stuff but no fade, no pad deposits and no disc warping.

182cup & 172 racecar
New to the thread so don't know
What brake set up have you got plus car weight etc

Stadard discs front and rear
Standard calipers front and rear, minus rubber bits because they melt.
Ebc yellows in the rear, Ebc blues in the front.
Car fully loaded with me in, is 960k

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How come you run Yellows in the rear Tony?

I've read everyone says standard is best for the rear. Does it balance the Blues out?

clio 172
I have yellow stuff all round with standard rear discs and Brembo front discs bradded hoses all round high boiling point brake fluid no fog lights car stripped 2 seats 6 point roll cage and I am having problems with my front EBC yellow stuff pads after 10 laps at Rockingham
ac4de7cb24a2c2b39fee3e01dee6729c.jpg

clio 172
Would the blue stuff be better or Carbon Lorraine pads or should I ditch the Brembo disc
Really getting fed up with it tbh
My missus drives the car on track with no problems
I can drive it also no problems bit a soon as I try running it at race pace I end up with no brakes very quickly

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Would the blue stuff be better or Carbon Lorraine pads or should I ditch the Brembo disc
Really getting fed up with it tbh
My missus drives the car on track with no problems
I can drive it also no problems bit a soon as I try running it at race pace I end up with no brakes very quickly
I'd keep the brembo discs but get better pads. There's been plenty listed in the thread mate.

182cup & 172 racecar
I would try the blues, they are for a slightly heavier car. Don't worry about bits coming off, that means they are working.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've just gone back to the OEM calipers running.

Goodridge braided hoses
ATE super blue fluid
Brembo HC discs
CL RC6 Pads
Arch liners removed

Looking forward to seeing how they fare on the track :)

172 Track Car
I've just gone back to the OEM calipers running.

Goodridge braided hoses
ATE super blue fluid
Brembo HC discs
CL RC6 Pads
Arch liners removed

Looking forward to seeing how they fare on the track :)

Good combo, we often use it in the winter. If you cook the fluid try to remember when you last changed it as Superblue has a vastly different wet and dry boiling temp.

172 Track Car
What brake fluid do you use Alex?

Castrol SRF, the main difference is that it retains a lot higher wet boiling point making it more forgiving if you don't change it very often. You might be fine though, so see if you get away with it. We ran blue for a long time.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Castrol SRF, the main difference is that it retains a lot higher wet boiling point making it more forgiving if you don't change it very often. You might be fine though, so see if you get away with it. We ran blue for a long time.

I've heard that's meant to be good.

I'll keep a eye on the ate super blue, it's cheap so I can afford to change it regularly if needs be.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
No nothing at all. Used 2 or 3 sets now and no problems. I do file/grind down the edges of the backing plate of them.

Have you had problems with discs using them aucky ?

I warped a set at Anglesey on the GP layout (warped or not, the symptoms were the same).

I assumed it was an isolated incident until someone else mentioned it.

clio 172
What's the braking efficiency on the rear of the Clio 172/182
I've been told they don't do much??
Does anybody on here use a Brake bias system on there 172/182

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What's the braking efficiency on the rear of the Clio 172/182
I've been told they don't do much??
Does anybody on here use a Brake bias system on there 172/182
On a normal 172/182 it's around a 70/30 split. On a 172 cup there's next to no braking effort on the rear and they usually fail mot as a result. This was setup this way by the renaultsport engineers as they had no abs. It's probably nearer 90/10 on the split on a cup tbh.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
My rears on my cup are mostly minor surface rust. They get a little cleaner each track day. I'll get round to changing them at some point. Handbrake works well enough.

RS RIP
old thread dig-up:
I mounted the DS2500's and did quite some filing down on the backing plates. Terrible stuff , just changed back to OEM pads.. Even when the brakes were not on , the wheels did not run freely and got real hot. The braking (after running them in properly) was also not all that . The OEM's (just now running 30 miles) are already far better. Mind you i don't do track but very spirited road driving.
A genuine f**king loss of money, these Ferodo's. Shame, but hey i learn every day

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Rsr's are okay. Predictable but don't offer much outright grip and squeal thier tits off when on the rather tame limit
Never used ds2500 as they're just a road pad basically aren't they? CL RC6 I use but they are dusty and noisey lol