ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise when turning still!!!

Clio Campus Sport
Hi everyone I have 1.2 16v campus,
Had driver-side drive shaft replaced last month after having it replaced the month before with the wrong size.
But it's still knocking!
When my original drive shaft started knocking it was a distinctive deep clunk or knock when on full lock.
Now this new drive shaft is knocking when I turn the wheel at low speeds (parallel parking) or when stopped.
It's not as deep as the original drive shaft knock and it's not on full lock so I'm hoping it's not a faulty driveshaft!
Any other possibilities for the knocking sound?
Anything I should be looking for under the car?
There is a wheel wobble at certain speeds too but I'm sure that's a buckled alloy, but it's quite sporadic so cold it be related?
Jess

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Suspension top mounts are a common cause for knocking sounds, especially its knocking when stationary. There's a bearing in them that seizes when worn meaning the mount doesnt move smoothly

Clio Campus Sport
Brill thanks.
Just had a quick look, the rubber joins on the roll bars both look split.
Would I be able to check the top mounts myself easily?
The Haynes manual isn't being much help!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The roll bar links don't last 5 minutes I'm afraid, if it is the top mount you may be able to feel some clunking/knocking through the top of the strut in the engine bay but really you'd need to remove the strut assembly to check properly.

There is a chance it's a broken spring but I'd have thought this would have been noticed when changing the driveshaft

Clio Campus Sport
Watched a quick video on checking/ changing the top mount so I know what to look for now, later when my partner is home he can turn the wheel and I'll check the spring for sideways movement and clunking.
Would that affect the steering too?
Sometimes it seems to pull a little and steering wheel quite enthusiastically spins back to central when I let go.
Spring definitely not broken so that's good.