ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Learning photography

I'm happy to write a full lens guide similar to what I've done so far with Motorsport etc, I've decided to modify them for my photography course so I could do with writing more of them anyway.

Clio
I'm happy to write a full lens guide similar to what I've done so far with Motorsport etc, I've decided to modify them for my photography course so I could do with writing more of them anyway.

What kind of photography course are you taking mate if you don't mind me asking?

A red missile
cheers for all your help :)

1 last question, a 2x convertor... does that do what it says on the box, double the length so a 300 becomes a 600mm? if so what happens to the aperature?

Yes it doubles the focal length.

A 2x usually reduces the speed of the lens by two stops (i.e. f2.8 to f5.6), you can also get 1.4x (which I have) which reduces it by one stop (i.e. f2.8 to f4) and 1.7x which reduces it by 1.5 stops. So a 80-200mm f2.8 would become a 160-400mm f5.6 with a 2x, or a 112mm-280mm f4 with a 1.4x.

They only really work on fast lens though, many cameras won't auto-focus with a lens slower than f5.6 (not enough light coming through) although they are still useable manually. You wouldn't want a 2x on a f5.6 lens, but it would be fine on an f2.8 lens.

One tiny addition to this, the 'experts view' is that a 2x converter degrades image quality by a noticable amount, if you head on over to the Warehouse Express forum, you'll find a thread about this, they're quite lucky over there as Andy Rouse frequents the forum and is only too happy to share his knowledge - seems a nice bloke, will help out and isn't afraid to say that somethings crap if he thinks it is. His advice was to take a hammer to a 2x converter and go with a 1.4, personally i've never been in a position to try both converters with the same lens/camera so I cant say, I am prepared to admit that Mr Rouse probably knows more about image quality that I do :) his work is stunning.

What kind of photography course are you taking mate if you don't mind me asking?

I signed up for the Open College of Arts ('OCA') Photography course, which leads to a BA in Creative Arts (Photography) it's essentially an Open University course. Signed up in August but we bought our first house shortly after so I've literally not even touched it yet. Regretting it to be honest, read through the entire course and I won't really be learning much at all, just going through the motions to get a qualification. I would rather put the time in taking pics for my own benefit, not following some predetermined path that I'm not going to enjoy.

One tiny addition to this, the 'experts view' is that a 2x converter degrades image quality by a noticable amount.

Yep, read much the same but have never used a 2x so can't really comment. The 1.4 is fantastic though, particularly if you've got a good lens to start with, I can't tell which shots I've used it on when I get home, no noticeable difference in my opinion.

Clio

I signed up for the Open College of Arts ('OCA') Photography course, which leads to a BA in Creative Arts (Photography) it's essentially an Open University course. Signed up in August but we bought our first house shortly after so I've literally not even touched it yet. Regretting it to be honest, read through the entire course and I won't really be learning much at all, just going through the motions to get a qualification. I would rather put the time in taking pics for my own benefit, not following some predetermined path that I'm not going to enjoy.

Been thinking of taking an evening class one. Seems pretty basic on the course notes but wondering if it would be any good to take a few photos along and just get some advice face to face and a few photoshop lessons.

Been thinking of taking an evening class one. Seems pretty basic on the course notes but wondering if it would be any good to take a few photos along and just get some advice face to face and a few photoshop lessons.

im doing an evening class sort of one did the introduction now doing the next one i spent most of the first course teaching people how to us the cameras and computers but it was good to get things explained properly and to be made to do the basics rather than ignoring them

Right, feel I should dump all my useful links into this as other people have done a good job of explaining most stuff..

Canon Metering Modes, how your camera reads light.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/part2/2E.html

Complete Newbie Guide (based around Canon's modes TV, AV etc.) Very similar to ukaskew's sticky. Aperture, ISO, shutter speed and the digital sensor crop.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

Controlling exposure, another look at Aperture, ISO and shutter speed.
http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/shutterandaperture.php

Terminology, a rather comprehensive list!
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/terminology/index.html

Last edited:
  VaVa
Nice one Pete.

I'm thinking that we need our own mod/admin just for this forum. ukaskew seems brilliant at doing write ups etc and it would allow him to sticky competition stuff etc

Sound feasible?

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Thought i'd post in this simply to say the advice is outstanding.

That 50mm looks bang on.

the lenses I have at the minute are
The canon 18-55mm kit lens..
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 70-200 F4.

But after seeing that 50mm one, I may need to buy that too, I cant help myself!