ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Local Area Subdivisions (please read)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
We are looking to completely revamp local area meets over the coming weeks. The imminent arrival of the new forum platform makes arranging meetings incredibly easy and we want to take full advantage of this.

One aspect we have spoken about is dividing all regions into smaller subdivisions to encourage more members to attend. Let's call them micro meets.

The idea being that micro meets could be organised during the week and then larger meets incorporating all subdivisions could be arranged at weekends.

We would need each subdivision to have its own rep and for them to regularly communicate with the other reps to coordinate the bigger 'weekend' meetings.

What we need to know from you guys is how best to divide the areas up into actions. Does your area even need dividing up?

There will be an application process for area reps once we have everything in place.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
CS Admin

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I would suggest -

Bristol & Gloucester
Somerset (From Bristol to Exeter?)
Devon
Cornwall

I dont think its appreciated not only how large the region is but also how long it takes to get anywhere if you live away from the M5

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Sunglasses_Ron I appreciate I'm probably asking too much but is there any scope to create completely new regions? For example, west Dorset could be classed as South West or South Central but doesn't fit well in either.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
ok chaps it's your region so ii'll leave you all to come to an agreement in how best to divide it up. After all you guys that know these areas a lot better than I do.

Try not to have to many subdivisions or the micro meets will end end with one man and his dog turning up. We aren't going to be able to make it so that meets are on everyone's doorsteps all the time.

Hopefully they'll be some more people along to have some input too :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Sunglasses_Ron I appreciate I'm probably asking too much but is there any scope to create completely new regions? For example, west Dorset could be classed as South West or South Central but doesn't fit well in either.

It's definitely something we can look at.

Like I say it's your region so we want to make this work for you guys.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If you're going to sub-divide a region perhaps it's worth suggesting some towns/locations where regular meets might take place?

It's all well & good saying Dorset & Somerset should be a sub-region, but take a look on a map and see just how many miles that covers from one corner to the other.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No, not sorted at all! What about Bristol and Gloucestershire?

Somerset is a bit of a no mans land. Do we have many members?

I forgot to include Avon. Avon, Somerset and Dorset. (Which combined are still smaller than the Devon and Cornwall region)

Plenty of members in Somerset.

Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Hampshire may all consider themselves SW in a country with 4 regions (NW, NE, SW and SE), but we have South Central region too, which at the moment seems to be incredibly small and underused whilst SW is frankly massive. Which is why I think they should be incorporated into SC and made more active between themselves.

In terms of having cities to meet at, Plymouth and Frome/Salisbury seem like very central points. Meets at Exeter were very popular with members from that area but it ended up excluding people from Cornwall.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
If you're going to sub-divide a region perhaps it's worth suggesting some towns/locations where regular meets might take place?

It's all well & good saying Dorset & Somerset should be a sub-region, but take a look on a map and see just how many miles that covers from one corner to the other.

That'll be down to the reps to sort out once they are appointed.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
South west does definitely need breaking up a bit, I'm a pretty good case of being in between regions here in Shaftesbury. 1hr+ from most of the South Central meets in southampton area, and even more from anything bristol / exeter etc.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
A gif of what I was proposing. The SC region isn't exact.

swregions.gif
First frame just shows the region we're talking about.
Second shows the setup at the moment.
Third shows my original proposal. The SWS region is huge though hence:
Fourth suggests cutting off the top of Devon to equalise the regions out and the divide is at an imaginary line drawn from Lyndon to Exmouth.

banther can you draw out what you think the subdivisions should be? I'm not being sarcy or anything, I just genuinely want to see your proposal. Here's the above map:
counties_in_england.png

Speaking for the majority of the active members in the south west that actually turn up to meets, we will not be travelling to Cornwall for any meets for the foreseeable future. It's just too far for everyone, and I can't remember the last successful Cornwall meet.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Speaking for the majority of the active members in the south west that actually turn up to meets, we will not be travelling to Cornwall for any meets for the foreseeable future. It's just too far for everyone, and I can't remember the last successful Cornwall meet.

Nobody is asking you to go to Cornwall.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
If this turns into a pissing match it'll get locked.

I'm not going to put up with arguments in here. From what I understand there's a lot of s**t that's gone on in the SW and I won't have my plans jeopardised by bickering.

The final decision on how the areas are split up will be made by admin. I just wanted to get some input for you guys. Anyone who wants to apply for an area rep role can do so when we begin the application process.

Just saying x

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I personally don't want to turn this into a pissing match. What's done has been done and it's time for the region to move on TBH.

So, what to do with Cornwall? Have a seperate rep for Devon and a seperate rep for Cornwall?

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Well if south central think they should be split up into 3 sections then Cornwall and Devon definitely should be IMHO due to the travel times involved.

PH2 172
So, what to do with Cornwall? Have a seperate rep for Devon and a seperate rep for Cornwall?

What a brilliant plan,I should have thought of it myself!Lets have local Reps and meets by county.Kent,East Sussex,West Sussex,Surrey,Cornwall,Devon etc.
It works in Essex ffs.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
From a South Central point of view, I'm not too fussed on whether places like Gloucestershire or Dorset fall into South West or South Central, it shouldn't really matter as people will just head for their nearest meet, but if South Central does grow to include those new places then it will need further sub-dividing otherwise people just won't travel.

South Central hold regular meets in Reading, Basingstoke & Bracknell to cater for the M3/M4 contingent, in Portsmouth, Southampton & Winchester to cater for the 'coastal' element of South Central. The only area which doesn't have a rep or decent organisation is the Oxford/Banbury/Bicester/Chipping Norton area but hopefully that will change with RDR's vision.

I can't speak for Devon & Cornwall, but I have a few suggestions for the others:

1) A sub-region with meets in Swindon/Bath/Bristol/Gloucester/Cheltenham would make sense, looking at a map.

2) Down south another sub-region could cover places like Bournemouth, Weymouth, Dorchester & Blandford Forum?

3) And another sub-region for Salisbury, Shaftesbury, Andover & Warminster, to keep Nik happy ;)

At the end of the day I have no idea whether there's any appetite for meets in these areas anyway but we can't expect people to travel too far to stand in a car park and have a few doughnuts. I'm of the opinion that we should give people the opportunity rather than not bother just because nobody said anything. If you build it they will come.

I'll leave it to true South Westerners to cover off the rest of the region, which, geographically is very large but not very densely populated so it's going to be difficult but Bridgwater/Barnstaple/Exeter/Taunton seems to make sense as a sub-region.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Wise words Tim. ;)

The way I see it is that we have to give it a go.

I think it may take a while to start getting lots of people to meets, but the Essex region of SE started fairly small and now have over 30 cars turning up to some summer meetings. Little acorns and all that ;)

We really want to encourage new members to start get involved in mores club social activities.

The test will more than likely be next summer as it's difficult to get people out and about during the winter months.

Thanks again for all your positive feedback! It's been extremely useful ;)

BG 182 FF
this seems a good idea, i'm right down in cornwall so every meet is a long drive, Exeter, Bristol ect

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
From myself a Rep in the plymouth area is a good place to work from for the Cornwall - Devon area

Exeter needs one also to control mid SW

and then a northern SW rep.

each way they travel then is about 40 mins to the edge of the area they populate.

and yes you can say plymouth to the lizzard is 1.5 hours drive but IMO unless you want a huge drive out you wouldnt go down there.