ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to get a 182 Cup, I think....

Celica GT-Four ST205
Hi folks,

In the not too distant future I'm looking to ideally swap my Gt Four for a 182 Cup. Purely because it's my daily driver and a swap would save so much hassle. As I'm self employed and work away from home, the less time off work the better.

I've always liked the 172/182. Like the idea of small, gutsy and chuckable cars. I've owned this Celica since March last year (25th to be exact) and love it to bits. I love the noises, her looks and the way she drives but, and it's a big BUT, the cost of keeping her fuelled is crippling me. Ok, don't drive it as hard but I didn't buy it to pose in! It's that fast and has sooo much grip I'm scared it's actually too easy to drive and I'm losing my edge... Could just be that I'm not 18 anymore but anyway, we'll glaze over that. I'm wanting a good daily driver that can put a smile on my face. I was going to go derv but nah :)

I've had a look through the stickies about the specs and buying guide and a FF182 is the way I want to go. Well, i want a 182 Trophy but i'm being realistic here. I'm open to people's opinions though, i.e which is "best", which to go for/lean towards. It'll be a daily driver and weekend warrior so want reliability. Any specific, common or expensive faults i should look out for? Anything else to keep an eye out for?

I'm fussy with my cars though. I'd really like to have the recaro seats, in fact, I really don't think I'd get one without them. I love the turinis but I understand they're only standard on the 172? Correct me if I'm wrong though. Also, is the 182 Cup only available in 2 colours, Inferno and racing blue? Really not keen on the racing blue. Liquid yellow is absolutely gorgeous and I've always liked arctic blue.

Depending on cash/cars for sale I'm looking to swap or sell in a month or so but as you all know, a lot of things could change in that time.

Basically I'm after people's opinions and experiences, any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Astra VXR
Hi buddy I am also looking to get back to the rs for much the same reason only it's my mrs that's racking up huge miles on the Vxr.
I have had x3 clio's the 172cup, 172 and ly 182. I too have also had a gt4 ( I still regret selling it) the clio is a good compromise between performance and daily use ability, the handling on the clio is great also so not too much difference there with the gt4. Personally i will be going for a ff182 as it has the toys to make even long journeys more bare able and the Xeon light are to die for. Found the 172 cup to be too hardcore for daily commute and icy mornings. The 172 was nice but for a wee bit more you can have 182. The cup version of 182 Is not any faster than the ff 182 so you mite as well have the luxuries. Can't speek for a trophy never had one but do research Sachs dampers first they can £ for re builds. I'd personally steer clear of a ly although the colour is stunning it attracts too much unwanted attention and also unfortunately people like to see a nice car and vandalise it. Mother of pearl paint is extremely hard to touch up! That's just my opinion and experience vaveing owned a range of clio's and the gt4 hope it helps you abit.

RB 182
Turinis came standard on the 172 cup and the 182 Trophy, silver on the 172 and Anthracite on the Trophy.

If you're wanting Recaros, it'll be a lot easier for you to get a trophy as the value of them now-a-days is mouth watering to say the least. And finding a 182 with Recaros is as rare as rocking horse s**t to be honest.

Just make sure you're buying one with the belts all done and as close to full service history as possible - becoming a paid member of the forum and keeping an eye on 'cars for sale' would definitely be your best bet.

The only bit of advice I could give you, is make sure your minds made up on colour/spec before looking to buy a car.. Or you'll fall faster than a lead balloon.

Refurbing the Sachs now with cornering force and I think Cooksport do it too isn't as expensive as BG.

You won't lose alot of money if any on the Trophy either and you'll get the recaros, turinis etc that you want.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
I nearly bought a celica gt four st205 instead of my LY off of a friend. But in the end opted for the LY, due to rarity.

172 Cup
If you're a fan of luxuries then a standard 172 or 182 FF would be the way to go. As mentioned, for piece of mind, look to get one with good service history/plenty of documented evidence of regular maintenance. It's particularly important to know about whether the belts and tensioners have been done, and preferably the dephaser pulley too!