ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Pro RAM

I want to upgrade the RAM on my MacBook Pro. It's a mid 2012 model (I think), with the CD drive. It doesn't have a retina display if that helps.

I currently have 4GB. I was looking at upgrading to 8GB.

Any recommendations on what to buy/where to buy from?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Tricky. You could do with being a bit more specific in the MBP specs.

It's easy to see what spec the memory is in the 'About this Mac' drop down. I'm guessing that it's old enough to be prior to Apple's stupid, stupid decision to hardwire memory to their motherboards.

Tricky. You could do with being a bit more specific in the MBP specs.

It's easy to see what spec the memory is in the 'About this Mac' drop down. I'm guessing that it's old enough to be prior to Apple's stupid, stupid decision to hardwire memory to their motherboards.

Yeah, apologies, I am at work at the moment so don't have the specs.

I'll have a look tonight and update.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I went on the Crucial website and input all my specs for my old late 2011 MacBook Pro and it told me what I needed. I got 2 x 8GB from them also for my 5K iMac.

Have you got a solid state drive in the MacBook? That is by far the best upgrade I did to mine, it made it so much quicker.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That was only a stupid move in the eyes of their consumers!
That's just taking things too far though, imo. I'm all for them wanting to up-sell people to the next model. But allow them to upgrade in a year or two and stretch the longevity of their kit, FFS.

Very selfish. Very greedy. HP do it on some of their laptops too. :angry:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
That's just taking things too far though, imo. I'm all for them wanting to up-sell people to the next model. But allow them to upgrade in a year or two and stretch the longevity of their kit, FFS.

Very selfish. Very greedy. HP do it on some of their laptops too. :angry:
Most other tier 1 vendors give you a dimm slot for expansion though.

Thanks for the responses chaps and apologies for the delayed reply.

I've attached a screenshot. Hopefully this helps.

@Darren S @adamlstr @R3k1355 @Ben-

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 22.41.50.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I used the crucial website last year and put 16gb in mine, cost about £60 at the time.

Same spec MacBook as yours @.Adam.

Edit - just seen it's doubled in price!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I used the crucial website last year and put 16gb in mine, cost about £60 at the time.

Same spec MacBook as yours @.Adam.

Edit - just seen it's doubled in price!
It will be following the traditional 'U' pricing of memory. Starts off expensive, then plummets and is clearly back on the expensive climb as the memory spec gets older and less likely to be produced.

Is RAM the right way to go, or am I better opting for an SSD?

My MacBook isn't slow as such, it would just be nicer to be a bit nipper when I have multiple Safari tabs open, documents etc.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I would go with both if you can. I'm going to be sticking a SSD in mine soon.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is RAM the right way to go, or am I better opting for an SSD?

My MacBook isn't slow as such, it would just be nicer to be a bit nipper when I have multiple Safari tabs open, documents etc.
Yeah - as Daz says - go with both if you can. An SSD not only provides much quicker access times - but it's lighter than a standard spindle drive and also uses less battery.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I'd recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P736UEU/?tag=cliospnet01-21

You could get a cheaper version - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F9G43WU/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Or spend a little more and get a higher capacity, i.e. 480 GB.

And you'll need a fairly large USB to create an OS install to be able to install the OS on the SSD, fairly straight forward to do. There's loads of guides around and it'll probably take a few hours for the fitting and install. I went for a fresh install and didn't back up from time machine when I did mine, I just copied over the files I wanted to keep on a USB stick afterwards.

Here's my spec and it feels just as quick, if not quicker than my 2016 5K 27" iMac with 24 GB ram and 1 TB fusion drive (i5 processor).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 18.55.20.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 18.55.20.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 90
Brilliant. Thanks for the information guys.

I think I will take the plunge on both SSD and RAM when funds allow. I had a little look at some guides as you said and seems relatively straightforward.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It's a very easy to do, just take it slow if you've never done anything like it before.