ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Marky's Cup

178hp 172 Cup
well to save me time ( a lot of it ) i will copy and paste my WIP thread from my forum onto here!!

its not a major project like some being built but it will b an on going one and who knows how far it will go ;)

...............................................................................................

original post 30 April '07

well as most of u know i brought myself a new toy a couple of weeks back!! i wanted something that i could tune and over time make into a great Track car but still keep it road leagal at the same time. For now the car will b my main car with the pug as a true show car. I brought a really clean 52 plate Clio 172 Cup with only 30k miles on the clock. making a great base car. the car is totally standard apart from the previous owner brought 17" Speedline Turini's instead of the standard 16s. here is a few pix of the car as i brought it:
DSC04257.jpg

DSC04256.jpg

DSC04259.jpg

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04260.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

The car is fantastic as standard and with a 0 - 60mph time of only 6.5 sec it aint no slouch either. but me being me i cannot keep anything standard for long and within a couple of days i called up Jon @ 2 Modified and ordered an ITG Panel Filter to get the car breathing a little better. I know most people get full induction kits but a performance panel filter is the only way that u will not loose any power. with Indiction KIts if they aint got a good cold air feed more often than not although they sound awesome they loose u power. Here is the filter:
ITGPanelFilter.jpg

I booked myself into Selsdon's very own Norris Designs for Thur evening last week to get it fitted. Here is a few more WIP pics from last Thur:
Off come the standard air box with the standard Filter
26-4OldFilterOff.jpg

the standard Filter was so so clean, infact it had only doen 1k miles
26-4OldFilter.jpg

then with the new filter back in the air box it was all fitted back together...
but as well as the new filter we wanted to remove the Acoustic Valve fitted at the bottom of the cold air feed. The valve is fitted to make the filter quieter which obvoiusly had to go. So off came the ns front wheel
26-4WheelOff.jpg

then with the wheel off and the inner arch off too we could clearly see the valve at the bottom of the cold air feed
26-4AcousticValve.jpg

after a lot of fiddling around the valve was off
26-4ValveComingOff.jpg

26-4Valve.jpg

now all that needed to do was fix back the bracket which held the vavle and the car horn and job done
26-4BackTogether.jpg

after a couple of hours messing about in the dark we put the car back together and headed for the Norris testing ground. Initially it felt no different from standard and made no more noise but after jus 15 mins driving it got a little louder.
now after 4 days of abuse u can clearly hear it. it aint nothin like the noise of an Induction Kit or nearly as loud but as u hit 5k it really does suck in that air and makes a really nice hissing sound. response also feels a little better too. but i am sure with more mods the ITG will get better.
a massive thanx to the team at Norris Selsdon for a last minute bookin & jon @ 2 Modified for a great competative price.
Roll on the new mods......... they wont b far away thats for sure :)

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 12th June '07

well its about time i updates my WIP for the Cup.

No pix as of yet but they will follow real soon.

Firstly i ordered my front brakes from 2Modified last week. It consists of Brembo HC Front Discs with Pagid Blue Pads. I also ordered Goodridge Hoses all round and some racing fluid is still to b ordered!! i am hoping to hav these this week to fit asap
icon_smile.gif

also at the beggining of last week i noticed my exhaust started blowing ( a common problem for Renault Sports at 30k miles ) and within 2 days the exhaust mid pipe had pretty much disitegrated. So the Cup is off the road for the minute till the new exhaust arrives. I ordered a full system from K tec yesterday alond mith a de cat. The system is pretty much the same as the GDI one ( recessed ) and i am sure it will b a good improvement on the standard system too. The full system and de cat should b with my by Mon or Tue next week!!!

So fingers crossed i should get some pic updates early next week and hav both the brakes and exhaust on for F&F
icon_smile.gif

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 15th June '07

the car now sits on 4 axle stands!! i hav taken off all the wheels and they go off for a refurb tonite!! the previous owner had curbed 3 of the wheels, only lightly, but i want them 100%. They are gettin done not only coz of F&F next weekend but also coz i can sell them for more if they aint got any scuffs on them!!!
am still waiting for the brakes to arrive but the exhaust should be with my by monday or tuesday!!!
sorry bout image quality, pics took using phone!!
15.jpg

15-1.jpg

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 5th July '07

i will put the full WIP pics up later!! i would hav sooner but hav been so so busy workin i aint had any chance!!!
anyhow...
the day b4 F&F show my brakes and exhaust finally arrived!!! atleast i could get the exhaust done and hav the car on the road for the show!!!
DSC04666.jpg

my Brembo High Carbon Discs and Pgid Blue Pads alone with Moqip Braded Hoses!! happy days
DSC04667.jpg

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 5th July '07

Update: New janspeed Exhaust system and De Cat
on the friday b4 the F&F show my exhaust finally arrived and so did it came the Norris Crew on Selsdon ( Mr Frost )!! we got started around 3pm and as i had already removed part of the exhaust it made things a little easier!!
here is a pic of the rear of the back box where the pipe has jus perished!! the backbox was literally jus on there!!!
DSC04675.jpg

now with the full sytem and cat off the car we could put the old and nerw system together and compare!!
DSC04672.jpg

the exahust system was a full Janspeed system and Janspeed straight through de cat!! the back box was a recessed system so the rear bumper would need cutting for it to sit right!!!
DSC04673.jpg

after a couple of hours fuckin about we finnaly got it fitted!! it wasn't too bad to fit but the hardest part is bolting the de cat onto the bottom of the manifold!!! it really is tight and u cannot c what ur doin!!!
DSC04702.jpg

DSC04703.jpg

DSC04705.jpg

i really like the system as i really wanted a recessed system instaed of the normal exhaust that hangs below the rear bumper!!! the sound is really good too!! not too loud but jus right!!! :) there is still a surround to go onto the bumper above the exhaust to finish it off but toher than thats its all good!!!
i big thanks to Norris Selsdon yet again for a great job in gettin the car back on the road!!
nexy stop in WIP - the brakes!! update soon :)

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 6th July '08

Update: Refurbed Wheels
As my car was off the road without an exhaust i thouhg ti would get my 17" Speedline Turini wheels refurbed!! Tony's ( 206cc ) mate Lee would do them for me on the cheap and over the weekend b4 F&F so that sounded good and i had them done!!
tbh they wasn't even all thats bad b4 the refurb but i wanted them spotless ;)
here is a pic of the wheels when i got them back!! as i can tell... god as new :)
DSC04668.jpg

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 6th July '07

Update: Polished Coolant Tank
I managed to pick up the polished cooland tank from Ed via Jay at F&F show!! as he striped his 182 i thought that i would hav it to look good when i end up gettin the rest of the engine tidied up:)
I managed to fit it the same day as my breaks, last Friday ( 29th June )!!
Here is a few pics of the WIP!!! from the old coolant tank to the new one fitted!! hope ya like :)
DSC04696.jpg

old tank
DSC04698.jpg

polished tank in box
DSC04699.jpg

DSC04700.jpg

polished coolant tank all fitted!!!
:) :) :)

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 6th July '07

Update: Brembo HC Discs, Pagid Blue Pads & Moquip Hoses
On the Friday 29th i finally got my breaks fitted!! with the help of Mr Frost again me started around 9pm!!
DSC04706.jpg

old brakes... coming off
DSC04708.jpg

the braided lines where changed on the fronts first!! didn't really take too long but needed doin!!
DSC04709.jpg

with the caliper upbolted and the disc removed we are all ready for the new brakes to be fitted :)
DSC04710.jpg

the Brembo High Carbon Discs looked so so much better and should provide better braking performance...
DSC04711.jpg

...especially when coupled with the awesome Pagid Blue Racing Pads!! after seeing some the the x2c clio sport crew already running these pads on track and not a hint of brakes fade i know they are what i need!!!
DSC04713.jpg

with the fronts all done all that needed doin now was to fit the rear braided hoses!!!
after fittin the discs, pads and hoses all we needed to do was bleed the old brake fliud and replace with some secret racing fluid ( pics not provided as the fluid is TOP SECRET FORMULA ) ;)
with the job all done and around 1.30am its time now to road test the brakes!!
at 1.30am in the mroning with the roads empty i drive up the A23 towards the Caterham Bypass ( A22 ) which is a 60pmh road!!! but b4 i even get there i get caught doin 46mph down the Purley way by a Laser Gun and some well hidden coppers!!! needless to say after a £60 fine and 3 points later i am not most impressed but the job still needs doin :twisted:
when we finally got to the bypass i could bed the discs in a little!! doin several stops from 60mpg down to 30mph the brakes feel terrible!! like braking on Ice!!! another set of stops and not much different!!! another set and a slight improvement!!! by the 6th or 7th set of tests they are gettin a lot better!! then all of a sudden on a brake test they jus bite!! and bite alot harder than b4!!! the discs are slightly bedded in!!!
all they need now is several days of normal driving and braking and they should b properly bedded in!!! when that is done its time to bed the pads in........... and that will take a little more bottle and a lot more speed :)

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 1st Oct '07

Updated: Mon 1st Oct
Its about time i updated my wip on the cup!!! a few things hav changed over the past month :)
*well b4 i was due to go on holiday i ordered up a set or H&R Coilovers!! i have been lookin into what Coilovers are best for the clio's and for the price range i was lookin at H&R's seemed the best option!! they are only height adjustable but from what i hear the dampning is set at a very good setting for track and road use. Thanx to Jon @ 2Modified for sorting me a decent price on the coilovers ;)
*i also ordered up myself a decent Cold Air Feed from VenAir as the ones u get on the standard air box are not all that great!! the 80mm jobbie should do a better job :)
*luckily both of these came the weekend b4 i was goin away on holiday so i had time to get them fitted b4 Modded Uk. The usual suspects where called and we got on with the job at hand. Me, Frosty, Matt and Dan spent the Friday evening changing my suspension. Unfortunatly i didn't hav a camera to document the WIP properly but the end result is clearly visible and the result from the ride was so obvoius!!! the car handled so so much better!! hardly any bodyroll compared to b4 and the handling around bends was more direct. the car felt much more composed when being driven hard.
*the same evening we managed to do the CAF too!! the old air feed was ditched and the new one run down into where the fog light used to be!! it has defo improved the airflow into the air box!! not that u can feel and difference but the exhaust is definatly louder!!
i also managed to order from 2Modified a set of H&R Camber Bolts b4 i went away, but more on them later ;)
*we got back from holiday on the Thur and on the Friday i took a trip down to maidstone for my next mod on the cup. After handing over some more cash i was en route back home with a Half Cage!! The cage's hav came outta ex Motorsport Vision Clio Track Cars and normally retail for £550+!! as soon as i got home me and Pea got on with the job as i was determined to get the car looking different b4 Modded Uk!! with the back seats out it took me and Pea best part of an hour to fit the cage!! it was a little fiddly and tight to get the cage in but we did a good job and it looks the nut :) the bottom bars fit into the front and rear seat belt mounts and the main frame is bolted to the to cross bars.
most people noticed at the show and i gotta say the car look so much better already!!
i am yet to take any pics of the car as it is now but here is a few pix from the show taken by Lau on Nigels Camera!!
CupModdedUk.jpg

CupCage.jpg

* a week after the show i had my car booked into Mark Fish Motorsport for the suspension to be setup!! me and Dan got up there around midday and had a good chat with Mark and a god look at some of the cars he had up at his workshop!! for those who dont know, Mark used to race Clio Racers and has one numerous titles along the years!! He now sets up a lot of the Clio Cup Racers and a fair few customer cars who want the best outta their cars on track!! The guy is the Guru for Clio's :)!! In the workshop there was a Clio Cup Racer, numerous Clio track cars, a rolled Megane Track car and a Mini Race Car!! We was there for 4 hours while Mark set up my H&R's with my camber bolts!! He also set my ride height, although it was pretty much spot on when we did it!! The also sorted my tracking which was miles out!! the car now sits 30mm lower on the front and 50mm at rear!! the front wheels also hav 2 degree camber and the tyre pressure has been adjusted so i get the best outta the car on corners!! what can i say other that fuckin awesome!! the car handles fantastic now!!! i can corner so so much faster and it feels so stable!! roll on track days :)
well thats it for now people!! i hopefully get my new wheels back this week so i can update u with them and some new pix!!!

Last edited:
  178hp 172 Cup
original post 9th Oct '07

Update: 9th Oct
well they hav been on a week now and i should hav updated this section last week!! i wanted to get decent pix but hav not had time tbh!! i will do it next time the weather is better and i can clean the car!!!
anyways b4 i went on holiday i dropped of a set of 16" Speedline Turini's down to Dave @ Hybrid in Harlow, Essex!! i wanted the wheels refurbed and painted b4 Modded Uk but it wasn't to be!! anyways i got the wheels back last Tue and i gotta say i am over the moon with the finish!! as well as the refurb i wanted them painted in white!! and they really make the car look 100 times better!!
the wheels are wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1's so the grip is really good!! am well pleased and now that the suspension i set up i can really give it some :)
here is a few night pix!! i will post day pix when i can :)
DSC04948.jpg

DSC04950.jpg

178hp 172 Cup
original post 12th Nov '07

Update: 12th Nov 07
its been a while but i hav a new update for the CUP :)
a few weeks back i purchased a small engine tidy up mod!! i hav been after one for a while and when one came up 2nd hand at a reasonable price i snatched it up!! its nothin much but a small start!! i intend not only for this car to be a great track and b road car but also to look good at shows also!! i suppose its a bit of the Show Car Driver coming outta me :)
here is a few pix and i am sure they will spk for itself!! a defo improvement :)
IMG_0046600x400.jpg

IMG_0043600x400.jpg

IMG_0044600x400.jpg

IMG_0069600x400.jpg

also...
...jus after my birthday i ordered up a new set of seat's from 2 Modified!! as my budget wasn't huge Jon agreed that he would do me a deal including one of his ex display seats and a new seats direct from Cobra!! the deal he gave me saved me a few hundred ;) and although there is a few small problems they can be sorted at a later date and tbh its only if i wanna b anal about things ( the Carbon Weave is different between the seats, due to one being new and the other old ). anyways people here is a few pix!! Cobra Misano's :)
IMG_0054400x600.jpg

IMG_0068600x400.jpg

IMG_0066600x400.jpg

178hp 172 Cup
original post 27th Jan '08

Update: 27th Jan
its been a while since i hav updated my WIP on the cup but i hav now added a new mod to the car!!
as most of u know i was running an ITG Panel Filter in the standard air box and what a bit of kit that was for the money ( £40 )!! really did increase throttle response!! but with more mods on the way the panel filter has had to make way for its bigger brother!! the ITG Maxogen IK :)
on many a Clio forum there is a lot questions asked about this peice of kit!! is it value for money? etc well at £360 rrp is aint cheap and tbh i wouldn't pay that sort of money on an IK but when one came up cheap ish 2nd hand i had to hav it!! acording to the tuning company doing the next step on the cup, the Maxogen is the best IK out there regardless of it being the most expensive!! i fully understand that to get the best out of it thcar need to be remapped but that wont b long!!
anyhow i finally got round to fitting the IK on sat with help from Terry!! what a b*****d!! the IK is so big and tight to fit it took ages!! not an easy job :twisted:
standard airbox
DSC05325600x450-1.jpg

removed
DSC05326600x450.jpg

the maxogen Carbon Heatshield in
DSC05327600x450.jpg

DSC05328600x450.jpg

fully in with the ITG Silicone 90 degree elbow
DSC05329600x450.jpg

DSC05330600x450.jpg

well after fitting i started the car up and straight away the IK sounded so much louder than my panel filter i had b4!! so we took the car for a test drive!! disaster.....
the Maxogen had been rubbing on my silicone hose for my coolant and split it in half!! the car was pissing coolant everywhere!! not good
anyways i managed to limp the car home and Frosty managed to get me a new hose for this morning!! nw with the new hose on and a plastic collar round the hose all is good!!
it was recommended that i disconnect the battery for half hour to re set my ecu after fitting the maxogen which i done and the car feels to pull slightly harder than b4!! nothin much but defo harder to 7k!! the noise is silly!!! it is so so loud!! the car sounds totally different!! it really roars when u plant ur foot down!! all in all i am happy with the maxogen :)
roll on the next mods :)

clio 200 F4Rt
with the Bailey header tank, how do you tell the fluid level? is there a gauge on the side?

otherwise good stuff!!