ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I finally had a chance to spend a couple of hours on the car this weekend, so I got the the ASTs and the rear ARB fitted.

All seems good, although on a test drive around the block I'm sure I could hear some knocking. I can't see anything obvious though.

I'll re-check over the suspension parts this weekend when I investigate the nasty rubbing noises from the front.

There's no touching on the body by any of the springs, and no rubbing on the front wheels on full lock when maneuvering around my drive (Had no MOT at the time to road test again). So I'm yet to find what the knocking from before was. The rear springs are pretty close though so maybe it could be these under compression or movement.

On another note, I finally fitted some proper harnesses that I picked up for a bargain.
image.jpeg

With a massive helping hand from @GrahamS I removed the shitty/tatty Polo rad to replace it with a nice new ally Direnza one. Thanks to @NorthloopCup for some adjustments to the pipes and @Kelv for sorting out the fan mounts, fan and rad support brackets.
image.jpeg

G also showed me how to do a lovely wiring install with the fan so it looks proper OEM.

The rad hasn't been put in permanently yet as I need to fit some rubber foot mounts then mock up my oil cooler and lines first.

I'm very tight for time at the moment so the car will be sitting as is until the 23rd when we have another car day and hopefully get another big chunk of the DIY done.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Looks smart, love the photo bomb, lol. Could you share the links to the rad and fan, after the same myself, looks a very neat job btw. Cheers

Looks smart, love the photo bomb, lol. Could you share the links to the rad and fan, after the same myself, looks a very neat job btw. Cheers

This is the one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM...ROCCO-CADDY-/150980635337?hash=item232725aac9

My mate paid £100 for one recently, so it looks like the price changes every now and again.

This one looks like it could be the same too but I'm not certain: (same Ebayer I got mine from - 2fast2cool2)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...ADIATOR-RAD-/232005775967?hash=item36049f325f

The fan is just a universal £18 one from eBay.

@GrahamS came down again this weekend for another car day. Our aim was to finish off the oil cooler install, and get the car running so some track days can be booked before the Summer is over.

After a slow chilled out start, the afternoon approached and we'd not got much done. It was looking like we'd run out of time at one point, so we battled on.

Somehow G managed to get a photo of me actually doing something...

FullSizeRender_zpsccpywqza.jpg

"Don't disturb me when I'm cleaning my room"
IMG_2806_zpsqe1tqylc.jpg

A few shots of the rad and oil cooler in place. I'll get some more at some point, we were rushing to get it finished so I forgot to take some more.

IMG_2803_zpsm5ebj49z.jpg

IMG_2805_zpslr5kqvpm.jpg

IMG_2804_zpshnlglgir.jpg

We then went for a little road test, frequently stopping to check for leaks. Excuse the VERY squeaky brakes, they sound rather odd on the footage.

Thanks to Pro Line Motorsport for supplying the cooler and lines. They do some top quality race car builds as well as specializing in automotive plumbing.

Graham and I have both booked Bedford on the 20th of August if anyone else fancies it. @M.C..

Nice work @Martin. like the brackets :up:
Car sounds great.
I'm at Bedford tomorrow RS day but I may pop down for the day if I am not doing anything and grab a passenger ride if that's ok.

Yeah man come down and bring your helmet if so.

The brackets are Graham's excellent design.

Have fun tomorrow.

Ps thanks for your help with ordering stuff :smile: The plate and lines fit ok at the moment, but when the temp sensor and remote pipes for the pressure sensor get fitted it could get a bit tighter for space haha.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
So pleased that is came out so well in the end. Couple of hose separators an it's a pretty perfect install.

For a little bit more detail on the fittings. We used m5 rubnuts on the cross member to absorb vibration from the engine, seal the hole and for ease of removal if ever needed. http://www.masterfix.com/en/products/blind-rivet-nuts-bolts/rubnut/ These should also stop any metal fatigue on the brackets.
It's got 35mm bolts from the bottom of the bracket, through the 20mm nylon spacers and then into x-member.
The bottom bracket is not designed to hold any weight but to prevent back wards and forwarded movement. There were many cardboard templates like project binky!
The brackets are made out of 1.5mm ali plate with the rest of fittings consisting of m5 rivnuts, shorter bolts and loctite.

Next stop Bedford :smiley:

edit: I caught Mart vacuuming the grass at one point.

The SEN layout doesn't have the good corners in, chicane then fast left hander, gutted! Now im less keen ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Going to be reading through this tonight with a big cuppa! To give me some ideas, nice one mate!

Can you link me to the velcro please if you would be so kind?

You'll need a big cup of tea then!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XIKDLQ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

The SEN layout doesn't have the good corners in, chicane then fast left hander, gutted! Now im less keen :wink:

I've done it before. The day my clutch died. It's not bad to be honest, makes a change to the normal layout which I've done a silly amount of times now. The hair pin is a little tricky to get perfect.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Looks good. I like how you've mounted the rad and oil cooler.
Did you make them yourself?

I did an evening at Brands last night. The car felt great and more importantly there were no leaks from the new cooler and rad install.

I did however get black flagged for noise and my evening was cut short. But I was grateful to have even got on track at all after failing the static noise test.

It was a shock to me, as I have a Milltek with a centre section, and I've always been around 90db! The car seemed to be miss firing and having an issue at high rev, causing it to stutter and crackle/backfire. I replaced the worst injector and it felt a little better so I tried again. I was still ever so slightly flicking over the 98db limit unfortunately, but, as the guy could see I had an issue he let me on in the hope that actually driving the car might clear it out. The car felt absolutely fine to drive on track, I didn't notice a problem at all. My dad did about 15 laps and I did about 20 laps before I then got black flagged on a 10/10ths lap. I was 90db on the drive by so we packed up and went home. Although I suspect this could have been ITB noise as the new shift light is allowing me to rev right up to the limit a lot easier.

I've got Bedford booked for next weekend so there's a bit of a rush to get it checked and sorted now. Graham is down mine again tomorrow with his Cup for some jobs on that, so once that's done we'll plug mine into CLIP and see what it says etc.