ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mechanical oil temp gauges

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys, I recently bought this gauge

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/racetech-oil-pressure-oil-temperature-dual-gauge-pt1014b

And it has a mechanical temp gauge, i've dunked the probe into some boiling water and the gauge is failing to move.

I don't have to do anything stupid like earth it? surely not as its mechnical?

Anyone got any idea or shall I just wait till its on the car and hooked up to the oil... haha i just want to sort everything whislt fitting before re-assembling everything as at the moment its easy to get to by the oil filter if I do need some additional instrumentation

Thanks

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
How long did you leave it in the water? It's got to be fully immersed and will take some time to heat up and give a reading.

172 Ph1
Where is the oil temp sensor going @dan2707 ?

Can't do no harm in earthing it while your testing it .
Why don't you measure the resistance while your dropping it into the water to see if it changes with heat

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How long did you leave it in the water? It's got to be fully immersed and will take some time to heat up and give a reading.
About 20 mins or so Alex.

Where is the oil temp sensor going @dan2707 ?

Can't do no harm in earthing it while your testing it .
Why don't you measure the resistance while your dropping it into the water to see if it changes with heat

It's going into a sandwich plate. Just updated my thread with pics.

Ive just checked and it's earthed as I've tightened it to the engine block but couldn't test it with water when it's in the engine block obviously.

172 Ph1
About 20 mins or so Alex.

It's going into a sandwich plate. Just updated my thread with pics.

Ive just checked and it's earthed as I've tightened it to the engine block but couldn't test it with water when it's in the engine block obviously.

Then just measure its resistance change if it's all fitted up in the block now .
See how you get on [emoji1303]

172 Ph1
IMG_6732.JPG

Took mine out earlier for a hoon , temps ok [emoji1303]