ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal Vibration / Rattle at high revs / deceleration

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Hi all,

I have recently developed a loud rattling noise from what I assume is under the car during higher revs and at deceleration, again at various speeds.

Had my MOT yesterday and had a look under the car and no apparent problems with the heatshields or exhaust (Janspeed full system), the rear shield recently secured with larger washers, and all the mounts / joints have been replaced by Protyre in the last 12 months.

Does this sound more like a Cat failure or one that is imminent?

Thanks

Daniel

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Have had the exhaust / heat shields checked and slight adjustments and still the noise remains at certain rev ranges.

May be just my car OCD but would like to get to the bottom of this, have suggestions of worn engine mounts or possible clutch fault, any ideas guys?

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Long shot for a 'rattling noise' but...How close to your exhaust trim is your exhaust?

I had a problem with my janspeed moving a lot vertically under lift off and catching the trim. Re aligned with a cable tied bolt in the mount. Never had the problem again.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Yes have had this problem in the past but the backbox sits perfectly now after fitting the Powerflex rear mounts. This move vibrates and you can hear the plastic, but this is more of a metallic rattle / vibration.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Think I may try and adjust the engine mount slightly as that is the only thing I can think of at the moment but yes have a sneaky suspicion it is a heatshield, more likely to be one behind the bulkhead?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Heat shield or Manifold to CAT seal spring kit has pulled thru. You're gonna have to get under her i'm afraid.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Thanks for the replies.

Noticed this evening that the vibration is present when car is sat idle in neutral and revving it hard so hopefully this eliminates any suspect clutch problem.

The manifold to cat joint had the whole kit replaced last year using Renault parts.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Will check the guard later, one thing I have noticed this morning is the noise only seems to rattle when the car is at full running temperature which leads me to thinking it may be the cat (have had the emisions light on a few times in the last month) ?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Might be worth a try, I fitted larger washers last year and thought I had cured the rear end, it sounds more like its coming from the front. Will pop to Protyre at lunch today and see if they can find out what the problem is.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Appears to be no external objects or shield in contact with the exhaust and hangers all in good order after a visit to Protyre. Must therefore assume the problems lies inside the Cat or the exhaust system itself. Have not seen any horror stories with Janspeed system failing so assume my best bet is to look at replacing the cat?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Yes very tempted for the first time since ownership, where is the best place to source a replacement OEM cat, otherwise I shall go for the Janspeed decat to match the exhaust!

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Was just about to make this exact thread!!!

Manifold to cat springs! *goes to get jack out the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Baffles in the centre silencer is a possible rattle

It is either this or the cat so going to try replacing the cat first and see if the centre section (Janspeed) shows any signs of damage when it is removed.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I managed to source a new cat going on tomorrow with the cat mod to match the 2.25" mid section, but after a day of tinkering yesterday the noise has gone. I can put it down to a clip which holds 2 heat Shields together, or a bolt which was loose in the throttle bottle, very odd!

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Checked mine was the cat to manifold bolt, the s**t one to get at on the drivers side, can't even retughten as the nuts stripped on the threads

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Checked mine was the cat to manifold bolt, the s**t one to get at on the drivers side, can't even retughten as the nuts stripped on the threads

Common problem but I had a genuine kit fitted last year and the springs look good and tight. Still it'll all be off tomorrow for the new cat and retightened and checked for any leaks. A new cat probably isn't needed but may as well get it on given its brand spanking.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
After having the new cat fitted the car runs and pulls nicely bit still have this intermittent rattle / vibration!

I have noticed one of the cat to manifold springs is loser on one side, the kit wasn't replaced that long ago but could this be a possible cause?

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
After having the new cat fitted the car runs and pulls nicely bit still have this intermittent rattle / vibration!

I have noticed one of the cat to manifold springs is loser on one side, the kit wasn't replaced that long ago but could this be a possible cause?

If it's loose it will rattle mate, best off tightening both up as much as possible then seeing if it's still got a rattle

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
If it's loose it will rattle mate, best off tightening both up as much as possible then seeing if it's still got a rattle

The loose side will not tighten up anymore. I have done almost everything now and nothing is fouling the exhaust, decent clearance near the ARB so will try another cat to manifold kit. One spring set is solid on one side, does the springs loose tension or is it more to do with the washers / bolt itself?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
So after solid exhaust mounts, new centre mount, new donut gasket between cat and manifold, new cat and weld mod to match exhaust diameter, engine mounts, Evol dogbone mount and all hestshield clips the rattle continued until.....replacement Janspeed centre section.

Went for the unsilenced section over silenced which I've had on the car since 2009, and the noise difference is marginal without a decat. So, so pleased this has finally cured the pain of wondering and the expense!

Attachments

• DSC_0311.JPG
    DSC_0311.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    712.5 KB · Views: 146