ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
This thread made me go out and buy this today from Tesco earlier (£27). Not played it yet though. Just started the install and update download (2.3Gb).

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
It is very Assassin's Creed a tad in its combat/running engine. Though the story, Middle-Earth background makes it 100x better.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely f**ked in work today... started playing this last night around 9pm just to 'have a couple of hours' on it... next thing it's nearly 4am! Oops. It's such a gratuitously violent and satisfying game to play though. :)

Absolutely f**ked in work today... started playing this last night around 9pm just to 'have a couple of hours' on it... next thing it's nearly 4am! Oops. It's such a gratuitously violent and satisfying game to play though. :)
Glad you like it. Its addictive gameplay!

Put about 40hours into it so far! I completed in around 33 hours, which is a ridiculously long time to complete! Just enjoyed roaming and slaying in between the story parts so much! You'll enjoy the photo shoot mode too Andy [emoji5]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Put about 40hours into it so far! I completed in around 33 hours, which is a ridiculously long time to complete! Just enjoyed roaming and slaying in between the story parts so much! You'll enjoy the photo shoot mode too Andy [emoji5]
I've not played with the photo mode yet; just aimlessly wandering around and building up my character and doing the challenges. I've not really done much in the way of the storyline yet. Uploaded a quick video just a moment ago (PC version). Nothing special, just a random encounter and getting my ass kicked! LOL!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
Had a couple of hours on this earlier. Its bloody mint! Didn't find it particularly hard though. Loving the execution moves.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've not played with the photo mode yet; just aimlessly wandering around and building up my character and doing the challenges. I've not really done much in the way of the storyline yet. Uploaded a quick video just a moment ago (PC version). Nothing special, just a random encounter and getting my ass kicked! LOL!

LOL. Good vid. Wait till you unlock 2 hit streak moves so you can do 2 executions in the same streak. Very satisfying.

Some very cool unlocks actually.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
Ok so its getting a bit harder. It's a clever game, a good concept and the combat is very intuitive. Love some of the names.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. Good vid. Wait till you unlock 2 hit streak moves so you can do 2 executions in the same streak. Very satisfying.

Some very cool unlocks actually.
Yeah, I should perhaps stop wandering around and actually go and advance the storyline a bit... it's so much fun though! :blush:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
I get distracted very easily. Annoying when the same t**t keeps killing u though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Put three hours into on the PC this afternoon. Early impressions are very good, though as with the vast majority of 3rd-person perspective games, the camera angle can become infuriating at times.
The control input I find to be a little haphazard too. It's one of them that neither works brilliantly on the 360 pad, nor with the K&M. Too frequently, it becomes a button mashing exercise and more often through luck rather than skill, I manage to pull of the move or sequence that I was hoping for.
Increasingly, I'm finding it much easier to simply make the enemies aware of me, climb up the nearest structure - allow them to follow and then simply boot them off when they get to the top. Enemy archers are by far the worst - simply because when engaged with closer enemies and that 'wonderful' camera focuses on what's not really important - you can end-up a pin-cushion in no time.
Still, I can see the potential with it and I am enjoying it so far. I'll certainly be carrying on with it.

D.

DCi
I'll echo everything you've said there apart from I haven't had the idea to climb up a tower yet

(Went for PC in the steam sale woo)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'll echo everything you've said there apart from I haven't had the idea to climb up a tower yet

(Went for PC in the steam sale woo)

I was a bit too eager in the sale. I bought it when it was down to £24.99 (I think) and then the following bloody day, it dropped to £17.99 - typical!

I'll probably have another bash on it later today when I'm back home.

D.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Stupid game. Took me forever to realise that every time I died those uriks would get promoted lol. Kept dying, died a little inside when I realised the game will never end. Now ive realised and I'm 3 warlords down and a handful of captains!

Best "mod" by far is the jump stun. (Stuns the enemy as you jump over them) I'm flying through them now

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Erm.
Another hour and a half into it - I'm still awaiting for the 'wow' moment to arrive. I despise the insta-spawn of the enemy. For three times on the trot, I wiped out three troops of inbound green knobheads, only to venture a little too far on the bit of map I was on - and that became the fourth and fifth wave of seemingly endless enemies. The likes of the Saints Row series are much better in making you feel like you're working towards reducing the enemy numbers, rather than face an eternal onslaught.

And the control method - grrrr - that is really testing my patience at times. I'm always wary where an input is assigned to two functions. Tap it once for Action A and then press & hold for Action B. A recipe for disaster - especially when there are combos of such inputs to carry out. Maybe it because I always prefer K&M - I don't know?

Maybe it will get better - but I'm finding it a bit 'meh' at the minute. Regular combos of x40 and x50 are being scored through my hands, but I just don't feel like I'm really achieving anything?

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is there a reason why the Y&B button combo doesn't always work for executions? Is there a cool-down period between when you can use them?
Also just had a mission that simply involved me running between three sets of uruk scouts on the back of those dog-things and killing them. Fair enough. But the quantity to kill was more than the total enemies present - so the game simply respawned the uruk scouts again to be killed a second time? :S Yawn.
How do people go against captains that are ranged experts? The instant I engage them (assuming they can't immediately be stealth killed or headshotted according to their intel) - some other minion uruks turn up and I'm just picked off at range while dealing with them - especially when the captains have explosive arrows.
It really does have massive potential this. But the never-ending respawning of the enemy is beginning to grate on me. I just don't feel like I'm making any significant progress and worse, what is the actual point to what I'm doing? Some of the stealth kills are totally silly - literally walking up when even Stevie Wonder would know I was there before brutalising the said victim. I've seen the sole uruk talking to himself on regular occasions before stabbing the gormless idiot through the head. I've also ledge-killed several uruks when their companions are literally a few feet away, with no comeback.
I would have liked to have seen more customisation of your character and equipment, rather than tack-on the rune options. Allowing me a chance to recover 32.38% focus every third attack is far too accountant-speak for my liking. Adding three serrated teeth to the blade edge which massively increased the chance of beheading - would be far more preferable. And being a ranger all the time? Meh.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You have to stop dying to make progress. The more you for the more the higherarchy (sp?) stays full.

As for the ones with strength against ranged attacks, take out the archers, then go in for the kill. Most of them, if they are good with ranged attacks are s**t with combat attacks.

Your executions will only work with an 8x combo or higher (5x if you've bought the upgrade)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Is there a reason why the Y&B button combo doesn't always work for executions? Is there a cool-down period between when you can use them?
You've got to get the combo/hit steak up to 8 (Or if you've upgraded your abilities to reduce this to 5). Then you can do the Y/B execusion.

Don't get the never ending respawn comments..... wouldn't the world be empty very quickly if they never respawn? Every open world game has respawn. If every gangster/pedestrian in gta stayed dead the world world be quite empty, very quickly!

The nemesis table comes into its own later in the game, when you get to control it. I won't elaborate as it will spoil the game a bit. But you'll see what I mean further in....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You've got to get the combo/hit steak up to 8 (Or if you've upgraded your abilities to reduce this to 5). Then you can do the Y/B execusion.

Cheers - I didn't realise that you needed to build up the hit streak beforehand - that makes sense!

Don't get the never ending respawn comments..... wouldn't the world be empty very quickly if they never respawn? Every open world game has respawn. If every gangster/pedestrian in gta stayed dead the world world be quite empty, very quickly!

The nemesis table comes into its own later in the game, when you get to control it. I won't elaborate as it will spoil the game a bit. But you'll see what I mean further in....

I know what you mean about the respawning - L4D2 which is rife with respawning - is one of my all time favourtite games. But in SoM - it appears to me that the respawning it just too frequent and far too prevalent. Killing 5 uruks by blowing up their campfire walking a little aways, then seeing another 5 turn up at the same spot just gets tiresome. Especially when you get to large structures/encampments where walking from one end to the other sees the uruks respawn back at the start again. It's like painting the bloody Golden Gate bridge - it never ends! ;)

Similarly, when you get 'points' for rescuing slaves, it's very easy to walk a little distance and then come back and re-rescue the slaves again. This comes back to the point I'm saying about not feeling like progression is being made - apart from a few upgrades, I don't feel like the game has moved on from 6% save game I had, to the 14% save.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
My mrs has just bought me this in Reading, and she's on her way home now. I'm excited :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
10 hours in an I'm a midge's dick from uninstalling it.

My god is it a bloody frustrating game to play!

Not sure I'll have the patience to get anywhere near the end, I reckon.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You sound like your really enjoying it lol

Well my original 360 pad almost met that Input Graveyard in the Sky earlier! I never loose it badly either - but this just tips me over the edge. I'm constantly feeling like I'm two or three processes ahead as to what's happening on the screen and I don't think I've ever used the 'Y' button so much in my entire life.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ha ha. I've lost it a few times but only on line. Have high hopes for this game, let's hope the pad stays intact