ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mintno1's PH1 172 Progress Thread

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Thought after having the PH1 for the last few months it would be good to get a progress thread up as much so I can keep a log of what I end up doing to it. After selling my M3 nearly 4 years ago

6868983084_5bc0321509_h.jpg

and not being a stranger to Renault's after owning a V6 over 8 years ago

3987520477_90303d977a_o.jpg

and always wanting a PH1 I decided I would look for an immaculate example, low miles, rare colour, non modified etc. unfortunately I couldn't find any and then one came up in North London that wasn't expensive and looked solid enough although rough around the edges. I ended up going looking at it one Saturday and went back on Sunday to pick it up. It was everything I wasn't looking for but I guess that leaves money in the pot for upgrading/modifying that's they way I am looking at it anyway :smile:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Here is the PH1, the weekend after I bought it, and currently the only decent pic I have, need to get better at taking pics especially seen as this is supposed to be a progress thread

29140090534_a98de80679_h.jpg

From the factory it has both the aluminium bonnet and shift light. It also came with the following upgrades/mods - KTEC supersport (unsilenced) exhaust / Koni suspension / -1 camber (front) / Brembo high carbon discs / Ferodo DS2500 pads / RBF600 brake fluid / Yokohama AD08R tyres / Uprated gearbox doggone bush / Brake ducts instead of fogs / Ph2 rear lights. It had also just had all wheels refurbed, new rear brakes, new front lights and a recent service.

Last edited:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
So far I have

- Replaced rear exhaust mount with a custom made Sikaflex enhanced version as the standard item was goosed
- Sorted out a blow between the centre pipe and backbox
- Replaced the accelerator cable with a new genuine Renault cable
- Swapped the PH2 rear lights for PH1.5 rear lights (PH2 inners and PH1 outers)
- Cleaned throttle body and induction pipework and used a new TB gasket from Renault

It has also been to @AlexW and he has

- Sorted out a blow between the Cat and centre pipe
- New thermostat and coolant flush
- New Bosch after Cat lambda probe from EuroCarParts

It was also supposed to have new handbrake cables at the same time but the wrong ones had been sent out so it is going back to Alex this weekend for those along with a new to me washer jet motor from Renparts and a Pure Motorsport exhaust with decat to replace the KTEC. Will have a for sale post up for the KTEC next week probably.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
What are your plans for it? Do love a ph1:smile:
Its had a bumper spray job at some point so if its decent, get the bumper stickers on there.

Plans so far are fluid, I am not going to track it so am looking for a fast road kind of setup although no plans to strip it out and lighten it etc. am getting older and need comfort :smile: hence one of the reasons of swapping the KTEC, I have family up North and the KTEC drones on the motorway, great blasting round the lanes on a Sunday morning. Other than that hopefully just look after it, too many getting broken up for parts at the minute. I have acquired new to me drive shafts just in case, another aluminium bonnet (my wife is going to kill me if I don't shift it out of the house) new HT leads and side trim badges, new windscreen rubber surround. Enjoying having a car to mess about with again!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Love the m3 and the phase 1
Loved the M3, had some great fun in it, quickest car I have owned and pretty good on fuel too, shouldn't have sold it but I could probably say that about all the cars I have owned, has also now tripled in value and only going one way!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I'll be honest most of the car has been blown over and not particularly well, looks good from 5/10 feet but when you get up close not the best :down: it's on the list but quite low down am just trying to enjoy it at the minute and am managing to spend enough money on it as it is!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Those smart cars are fun. Nippy too
Yep had some great fun in that, feel faster because they are so small and low to the ground, always got 50mpg+ out of it no matter how you drove it although wheels made out of cheese and they had a tendency to let water in as mine did

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep I remember. We had a smart for two brabus thing in black. All singing, sat nav, heated seats etc. The wheels looked like they belonged in the arc lol.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Current plans for it are as follows in no particular order

- Front (20/25mm) and rear (10mm) spacers
- Clear side repeaters
- New fog lights (have already removed the brake ducting)
- New rear number plate light
- Steering wheel retrim (currently got a Mk2/3 wheel on but have the original one to retrim)
- Clean all the trim, arches etc.
- Find some alloy wheel centres and spray wheels silver
- New wipers
- Possibly a splitter of some kind
- Cup spoiler
- Cut down front licence plate
- Possibly some different wheels

Think that's it for now although the list changes on a daily basis 😂

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yep I remember. We had a smart for two brabus thing in black. All singing, sat nav, heated seats etc. The wheels looked like they belonged in the arc lol.
Always quite fancied a Brabus forfour with the 1.5 turbo engine

This looks a cracker of a Phase 1 and great to see one is being 'saved' as it's quite right, lot's are being broken now........ will be very interested to see the progress on this and more photos........ you'll have to add some interior and engine bay photos :cool:

As a side issue, that E36 M3 looks stunning! An Evo I assume? Also, the V6, wow! Must have been quite new when you had it?

dan's cast offs.
Good question, possibly, although wasn't told about them when I bought it

pagid used to fit but god knows what they put in the bag now but they don't fit that's for sure.

for the ktec exhaust get a centre box chucked on it, got one on the wife's was horrible, chucked a centre box on and it's great now.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
This looks a cracker of a Phase 1 and great to see one is being 'saved' as it's quite right, lot's are being broken now........ will be very interested to see the progress on this and more photos........ you'll have to add some interior and engine bay photos :cool:

As a side issue, that E36 M3 looks stunning! An Evo I assume? Also, the V6, wow! Must have been quite new when you had it?

I will take more pics!! :smile: Interior currently standard apart from steering wheel although that will eventually go back to original to, need to clean it and sort out grab handles etc. dash is slightly sticky too so will see what I can do about that if anything. Engine bay needs some work although again all standard as far as I can tell apart from a missing carbon canister

The E36 was an Evo yes and it was a great car probably the best I have owned, amazing condition considering it's age, it had been well looked after! The V6 was great too and I sold it too soon but unfortunately life got in the way and you can't fit a child seat in the back of a V6 😂

The E36 was an Evo yes and it was a great car probably the best I have owned, amazing condition considering it's age, it had been well looked after! The V6 was great too and I sold it too soon but unfortunately life got in the way and you can't fit a child seat in the back of a V6 😂

😂 that's true about the child seat! BUT........... at least you can say you owned one, that's very cool!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
pagid used to fit but god knows what they put in the bag now but they don't fit that's for sure.
for the ktec exhaust get a centre box chucked on it, got one on the wife's was horrible, chucked a centre box on and it's great now.

I was looking for a centre section but have bought a Pure Motorsport exhaust, am hoping the reviews are true and I love it once it is fitted, it currently looks good on the dining room floor!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
😂 that's true about the child seat! BUT........... at least you can say you owned one, that's very cool!

I would like to say I will own another one but the way they have rocketed in price who knows, will have to work harder!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Pms exhaust is superb. Had one on my old flamer
I have only heard good things, it wasn't cheap but I will sell the KTEC and make some money back, everyone who has had one seems to say how good they are I can't wait to get it on at the weekend!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Car has been back at @AlexW washer pump turned out to be the wrong one so have sold that and will have to find the right one. I had picked a set of driveshafts up a month or so ago from @plees and found out the car had play in the drivers side CV joint so swapped that over which was in much better condition, boots all good too! New PMS Exhaust from @cliosport-carl is on and sounds million times better, couldn't fit the decat so that will have to go on in the new year after the MOT. Handbrake cables all fitted too so it feels good to be able to park on slopes without the risk of rolling away 😂 managed to grab some pics as well, car is dirty and the light was fading quickly but you get the idea :up:

31609408981_6445b6a8e8_h.jpg

31609406701_357669e594_h.jpg

31609404201_06f46a9bb7_h.jpg

31351863790_156efc7807_h.jpg

30883440994_b7fbc1ff85_h.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
View attachment 172257 Had one for two years, was my first sport. Well had an arctic but hated it as i was coming from a quick Impreza. Owned this for two years and did my very first track day in it

What happened to it?

Had a quick passenger ride in a turbo'd clio earlier with approx. 250bhp built for road/track :up: I think I need to get out on track and give it a whirl have never taken any of my cars out on track

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After two years I sold it, 1500 ish. Rust was starting to bubble through on both arches :(. Lad who used to be on here stick a turbo on it, blew something and then stripped it.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
After two years I sold it, 1500 ish. Rust was starting to bubble through on both arches 😧. Lad who used to be on here stick a turbo on it, blew something and then stripped it.

A lot are getting stripped, I am going to try my best not too but who knows what might happen! I have to admit after going out in the turbo'd one earlier I can see why lot's of people go down that route