ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mintno1's PH1 172 Progress Thread

Have been up North for Christmas and New Year, always good to come back and see the Clio where it's supposed to be, it's obviously been nice and cold while I have been away will see how happy it is when I fire it up in the morning!! Have been buying bit's for it over Christmas will update once they all arrive :smile:

31251721263_7c30b6dabc_h.jpg

That's a great photo.... possible shot for next year's calendar?

Been enjoying reading through your thread mintno1! Seems like we are going down very similar paths with our phase1s .... finding niggly problems but having fun solving & fixing them... the only problem with that 'list' is that for every job that gets ticked off at least other two get added to the bottom!

PS; loving the E36 M3 - not as 'hardcore' as some of the other M3s that there's been, but I think they were the 'sharpest' looking whilst still being quite subtle - they certainly becoming more & more desirable, gone are the days of picking up a nice one for £6K! Back at the beginning of the noughties I had an E36 325TDS - that was tweeked somewhat & went like stink! This was in the days before 'performance diesels' were the norm or even known about - so it surprised a few people! That car had the M3 front bumper & suspension & I loved how it looked....

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
That's a great photo.... possible shot for next year's calendar?
Been enjoying reading through your thread mintno1! Seems like we are going down very similar paths with our phase1s .... finding niggly problems but having fun solving & fixing them... the only problem with that 'list' is that for every job that gets ticked off at least other two get added to the bottom!
PS; loving the E36 M3 - not as 'hardcore' as some of the other M3s that there's been, but I think they were the 'sharpest' looking whilst still being quite subtle - they certainly becoming more & more desirable, gone are the days of picking up a nice one for £6K! Back at the beginning of the noughties I had an E36 325TDS - that was tweeked somewhat & went like stink! This was in the days before 'performance diesels' were the norm or even known about - so it surprised a few people! That car had the M3 front bumper & suspension & I loved how it looked....

Not bad for a phone photo, lit by the family wagon headlights :smile:

The list is never ending!! MOT due this month so all being well will get past that and then we'll see what else happens, have you been buying/working on bit's over Christmas? You aren't a million miles away from me will have to meet up at some point and compare notes.

Loved the M3, such a capable car and like you say good looking but relatively subtle at the same time, shouldn't have sold it but had a new business that had just started and it was wasted not moving much, someone flew over from Germany and bought it!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Quick update, apologies no pics, over Christmas bought a cup spoiler in the wrong colour :smile: so will have to get that sprayed, on the lookout for a decent bodyshop at the minute. Also bought 25mm hubcentric spacers for the front with the appropriate longer bolts from @cpaterson76 and 5 & 10mm behind hub spacers with appropriate bolts from @KitsonRis for the rear. Haven't got round to fitting them yet as drove the car on Wednesday and it threw it's toys out of the pram, managed to get it plugged in thanks to @AlexW and I need a new injector :down: haven't ordered one online as yet as I was planning on going to the North Weald meet this weekend and it wouldn't have got here in time so might have to venture out tomorrow and find one.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I think i may have some spare injectors at home G.

If you have that might help me out, funny thing is i paid for the injectors to be cleaned on the group buy and have kept putting off taking them out and sending them and now one has gone, serves me right :smile:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Kept busy this morning, went over and grabbed an injector from @Dr Jekyll (Thank you again :up:) can you tell which is goosed and which is new :smile:

31353663653_750257824f_h.jpg

Then after wandering round car garages looking at family cars, or what we can get away with calling a family car, managed to get the injector fitted to the Clio and now back running as it should which is always good! Then managed to fit the front spacers that I bought over Christmas, have some before pics below and will get some after pics tomorrow

31353666243_78bf22e990_h.jpg

31353665383_fb245e3b26_h.jpg

31353664873_119be23a14_h.jpg

31353664373_d51de6f030_h.jpg

Also remembered I also ordered some 3D printed wheel centre's for the Oz F1's which should be here soon, will get some pics when they arrive. Off to the meet at North Weald tomorrow!

Wow those photos really highlight how far in the arch the front wheels are! I was thinking 'is 25mm too much?' until I saw that......... bet it looks great, look forward to seeing the after photos :up:

Good stuff with the injector, it's a close call but think I can spot which is the new one :grin:

P.S. love the wheels on this!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Wow those photos really highlight how far in the arch the front wheels are! I was thinking 'is 25mm too much?' until I saw that......... bet it looks great, look forward to seeing the after photos :up:
Good stuff with the injector, it's a close call but think I can spot which is the new one :grin:
P.S. love the wheels on this!

I think 20mm looks great but because of the camber I am so glad I went for 25mm, it looks so much better now, will be interesting to see how it drives when I take it out tomorrow for a proper drive. All the injectors looked the same so will have to get some ordered when Euro/GSF or alike when they have a special discount on. Unfortunately I don't know what the paint code is for the wheels so not sure what I am going to do with the centre's I have ordered!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ph1s can take much more space under the arch, not sure why. I have seen 30mm on one before!

You more than welcome mate. Glad it's sorted now. CS can be great at times with help :)

Also, GSF have a discount code this weekend. 48% off car parts: JAN48 :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Ph1s can take much more space under the arch, not sure why. I have seen 30mm on one before!
You more than welcome mate. Glad it's sorted now. CS can be great at times with help :smile:
Also, GSF have a discount code this weekend. 48% off car parts: JAN48 :up:

It could take another 5mm but I think I am at my maximum of what I am comfortable with, CS has been worth the membership fee already 10 times over :smile:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look at Renparts on eBay for injectors. They are a very good price, sub £35 each if I remember right. Im sure I paid less than £95 for three last summer.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Have a look at Renparts on eBay for injectors. They are a very good price, sub £35 each if I remember right. Im sure I paid less than £95 for three last summer.

They are a good price on there, will be worth a look now I am not under pressure to get it fixed and running again :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Some after fitting pics of the front spacers, again car is filthy, was filthy before I drove to the North Weald meet this morning and now even more so. Light was fading but you get the idea

32071531971_916fc0d73e_h.jpg

32041284462_7ce787eb18_h.jpg

32041283182_b111bcb2eb_h.jpg

32071532731_2817d739d8_h.jpg

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yeah that looks much better :up:
Is the back going out a little as well?

Yep, have 5 & 10mm spacers to try on the back, will probably be 5mm but they were being sold together so I thought why not :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks lovely mate nice clean car, and the v6 & m3 in the first post are bloody awesome [emoji7]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely shouldn't have sold either the V6 or M3 :smile: Ph1 needs some work but it will get there, how's sunny Darwen, I was born in Bolton so not a million miles away!

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I definitely shouldn't have sold either the V6 or M3 :smile: Ph1 needs some work but it will get there, how's sunny Darwen, I was born in Bolton so not a million miles away!

Hahaha sunny Darwen! As I'm here inside can hear it pouring it down outside..

I'm at top of Darwen too. top of a666 [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Hahaha sunny Darwen! As I'm here inside can hear it pouring it down outside..
I'm at top of Darwen too. top of a666 [emoji106]

Sounds about right :smile: First house I bought was in Egerton so just over the moor, or whatever it is, still get back regularly, all family and lot's of friends still up around there :up:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yep not good! It's No.4 really that I think will tip it over the edge, No.6 I already knew about as already have a replacement washer pump and the others aren't that major but it's the cumulative effect unfortunately

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
You going to get the garage to sort it then or take it elsewhere? Don't scrap it or strip it!

Unfortunately knowing what else needs doing and the fact that the service history is pretty non existent I don't think it's getting fixed, it's a shame but I don't think it makes much sense

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Oh no sorry to see that, but I get what your saying about the rust 😧 been there myself with previous cars, not an easy choice to make

If I had owned it longer it wouldn't be happening, if it could have just waited till next MOT before it failed :) I will be looking for something to replace it with soon