ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 172 misfire/emissions/timing problem

OK guys, help me out here, please!

I bought a 2001/X Mk1 172 a couple of weeks ago. Full Renault service history, 30K miles, no HPI, etc. Seller seems decent, the cars very tidy, and Im very happy. Or at least I was, until 24 hours after getting it home.

I took it out for its first proper run (just learning the car, not thrashing it, I hasten to add!) and I had a ball for the first 90 minutes... but then things turned sour.

Out of nowhere it developed a misfire. It could maintain speed, but it struggled to accelerate. If I tried to gain speed the engine would splutter, similar to running on three cylinders. The emissions warning light would flash immediately afterwards.

I stopped to let the car cool down to see if it was just a glitch, but after restarting the problem persisted.

The next morning the starter motor struggled, and the next time I attempted to start the car the starter motor died altogether. Off to the local main dealer, then.

First job was to replace the starter - and the section of loom it fried in the process (I thought that was what fuses were for?!). There was a hope that an iffy starter had been causing a drain on the electrical system, but unfortunately this doesnt appear to be the case as the misfire continues.

Now the problems really begin, because the dealer seems a bit stumped. A compression test returned AOK and iffy plugs have been ruled out. The next suspicion (from diagnostic tests) was a leak in or around the inlet manifold. But now they reckon that this is misleading and suspect that the timing may be out for some inexplicable reason. But they dont seem too confident about that as they are checking "other stuff outside the engine" first, in the hope of saving me a big bill. (Some hope!)

So, any ideas? To summarise, the car runs fine when driven (very) gently, but boot it in any gear and it soon splutters and fails to deliver power. The emissions light will flash shortly afterwards. Remember that this problem came on very suddenly - one second all was fine, the next it all went pear-shaped.

Theyve now had the car for nigh-on two weeks so, as you can imagine, Im a little bit miffed. (In eight years with my old Mk1 Golf GTI even the worst problem only ever resulted in a three-day absence and a 300-quid bill. Read it and weep! ;))

Any suggestions gratefully received. And, yes, I will accept "getting the car away from a Renault dealer" as a suggestion! ;)

Over to you...

Volvo S60 T5

If its fried the loom, then maybe the ECU is damaged or there may be a high resistance in the wiring.

Plugs etc ruled out, what about the coil pack?

Needs a full wiring check from ecu to engine sensors etc

Your local dealer should be able to connect the Clip(reno diagnostic kit) and road test, as the light comes on it should store a fault code, wont be to hard to diagnose at all IMO

320d M Sport

i know exactly what it is

mine did it, took reno 3 months to fix as they couldnt diagnose it.

Tell them to speak to Rob @ Renault altrincham, hes the service manager. theres a few posts on here about it. Its summat to do with throttle potentiometre or the sensors or something. oonly does it when u floor it right? then drops to 1000/2000rpm, then if u keep doing it the emissions comes on?

sooner or later u will get the leccy warning light too.

joke huh!!!?

Black 182 + Recaros

I had a similar problem (not quite as bad) with my 172 MK2. After 3 weeks they discovered it was the coil.

Work carried out by Holdcroft Renault in Crewe.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My guesses are...

Damaged HT lead
Knackered spark plug(s)
Coil problem
Or...

Throttle Position Sensor
Lambda Sensor

But I reckon its one of the three above, something ignition based.