ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 Door speakers?

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Hey guys

Just wondering what size can i fit comftably in my door speakers? i think its 13cm however could i squeze a little more?

Cheers.

Listerine & Poledo
As above, you can fit 17cm speakers in there, with a bit of work.

if you want to steer clear of subs or 6x9's, a set of amp'd 17cm's is your best bet.

I have a set of 16cm speakers in the door, fit in fine with removing the plastic bit at the back.

The "plastic bit" being the bit that stops water dripping off the windows going all over the uninsulated connections on the back of each speaker. Of course you're not going to get the Atlantic in your door but corrosion & broken speakers vs everything working fine?

Listerine & Poledo
16.5cm, 17cm, what's 5mm between freinds....

..unfortunately, 5mm between a set gap is a different matter.

But, as mentioned, an MDF ring can let you mount the full-fat 17cm (6.5") components.

The other option would be getting top-notch 13cm's with big-ass magnets and drive them from an amp, with plenty of sound deadening in the mix.

2001 1.2 Clio Black.
Okay cheers , could anyone point me in the right direction on getting a tastey pair of 13cm?

I have Juice -JS53 in the back and ill proberly head with Goodj's idea to get some good bassy 13cm for the door panels.

Cheers.

Listerine & Poledo
if you want to avoid a lot of rewiring, either of these.
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-q131c-renault.html
or, slightly better (so I'm told)
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-dieci-dsk-130.html

Dotn know anything about these ones
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ground-zero-gzic525x.html

but if you're ok with rewiring the doors to fit new crossovers (the above have in-line filters so you can use the existing wires I've heard these are good

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/focal-access-130-a1.html

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead, just searched the subject matter on Google rather than directly on CS.

Anyhoo, are there more options for speakers that just plug and play into the standard connector in the door? Also I've seen matched pairs, but are the rear ones any different to replace? Obviously I'd rather go the whole hog and jettison the standard toilet paper constructed speakers, but just wondered if it's as simple as the front (aside from having to pull out all the trim panels to access the rear ones).

Thanks!

WRX
The rear grilles just pull off, no need to remove any more than that. Bit of a wiggle around the seat bench iirc but just as easy as the fronts.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
The rear grilles just pull off, no need to remove any more than that. Bit of a wiggle around the seat bench iirc but just as easy as the fronts.

Is it really a case of find the slots and whip them off with a screwy? Having a flick through the Haynes manual left me thinking I had to remove a daft amount of trim panels on the 3dr.

1.2 16v clio
both the front and back have grills covering the speakers they can just pull off you will find 4 torx screws holding the speakers in place if you go for 5.25/13cm speakers that should be a direct fit the connectors will have to be cut off but all you do is buy crimp connectors and join them to the wires then that should be it

if you wish to go for 17cm speakers you will need to custom make speaker spacers to adapt the grill area to a mounting point for the bigger speaker but you will find the mdf spacer may be on show unless you do a beauty trim to cover it

WRX
Is it really a case of find the slots and whip them off with a screwy? Having a flick through the Haynes manual left me thinking I had to remove a daft amount of trim panels on the 3dr.
Yes, just follow the outline of the grille area and you can pull it out by hand on the back ones.

Derv 65, MPG > BHP
Thanks for your help guys :) I'm gonna stick to 5.25s for space saving, since I have nowhere to put an amp because I carry so much stuff.
I keep seeing speakers mentioning 2 way coaxial 4 Ohm and s**t like that: since electrical related stuff means absolutely nothing to me, is there anything I particularly need to get or ought to avoid when looking for said speakers? Matched pairs in the back and front, good brands, etc

Clio 182
Let me resuscitate this thread.
16.5cm, 17cm, what's 5mm between freinds....

..unfortunately, 5mm between a set gap is a different matter.

But, as mentioned, an MDF ring can let you mount the full-fat 17cm (6.5") components.

The other option would be getting top-notch 13cm's with big-ass magnets and drive them from an amp, with plenty of sound deadening in the mix.
Does that work without cutting any plastic away from behind speakers? Also how thick would the MDF need to be ?

I'm hoping to get 17cm speakers in without destroying the plastic in doors.

Thanks