ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 POLO project. (PIC HEAVY!!!)

Clio 1.2 mk2
It begins,

polo1.jpg

Bonnet stripped

polo2.jpg

Rebuilding 5th gear

polo3rebuild5thgear.jpg

Painting badges

polo4paintingbadges.jpg

Lowering, but had a few problems with the wheels fitting

polo5lowering.jpg

polo6archpersuasion.jpg

polo7arch.jpg

Fitting and sitting nicely now,

polo8sittingnice.jpg

polo9low.jpg

Few pics of her up and running

polo10picofherupnrunning.jpg

polo11.jpg

polo12.jpg

Painted the rest of the badges and roof rack on

polo13.jpg

polo14.jpg

Clio 1.2 mk2
Dent free boot prepped and masked

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Painted the bonnet

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Picked the new engine up and set to work cleaning the 10 years of sh*t off it

IMG_0637.jpg

Painted the rocker cover with some black enamel paint.

IMG_0645.jpg

Got the wellers powder coated

IMG_0651.jpg

Painted the block (sorry about phone pics)

IMG_0653.jpg

and cleaned up the gearbox

IMG_0654.jpg

Little meet with the coupe, bready and next doors coupe.

IMG_0655.jpg

Finished cleaning the gearbox and painted it

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Clio 1.2 mk2
Borrowed an engine crane to get the old one out,

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Got the bready washed

IMG_0697.jpg

Fitted ben's new wheels, they rub tho so will need to roll the arches.

DSCF4627.jpg

Anyway getting back to getting the bay ready for new engine.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Using a road sign to plug the massive hole in the battery bay

IMG_0722-1.jpg

Before

polo111.jpg

After

polo112.jpg

Tried to fit the engine, but need to get a new sump as it won't quite fit in.

IMG_0723-1.jpg

IMG_0724-1.jpg

polo113.jpg

Clio 1.2 mk2
Painted the bready cus i got bored waiting for parts for the coupe.

IMG_0737.jpg

Took off the sump and oil pickup

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

The new sump came, DPD guy looked at me a little strange due to the little prank

IMG_0746.jpg

The difference

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

All back together

IMG_0749.jpg

Engine back in!!

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

These arrived

IMG_0815.jpg

Popped the rocker cover off to get it powder coated blue and took the arches off as having new ones without dents.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

Got the new wings on with the side repeaters welded up. Will be getting a full body respray soon.

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Wellers back on now new tyres have arrived

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Clio 1.2 mk2
Some green stuff arrived, can't fit just yet as it's raining

IMG_0851.jpg

Managed to get all the wiring pretty much done

IMG_0866.jpg

Getting the new brakes on

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Wheels didn't fit back on so had to get some spacers for the front which has given some awesome poke

IMG_0871.jpg

Rocker cover has come back

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

To get the wheels in line front and back, swapped the rear wellers (7) for a mates (8) so now sits nice

Hanley200111003.jpg

Hanley200111001.jpg

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Wow, alot of work there.
I wish I knew the first thing about grease monkey stuff but other than an oil change, i'm out of my depth.

Gonna look amazing once finished, I haven't seen an old polo like that in years.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good skills. i'd love a G40 to play with. i remember my grandad having one brand new..:eek:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Great project.... My mate had one for his 1st car and I loved it.

FF Clio 182 Silver
looks like its getting somewhere!

just remember...your "poke" will get you 3 points a wheel if your pulled over..so 12 points...no license...no point in having car...hmmm is it worth it...

Clio 1.2 mk2
looks like its getting somewhere!

just remember...your "poke" will get you 3 points a wheel if your pulled over..so 12 points...no license...no point in having car...hmmm is it worth it...

Rolling the arches and the bumpers aren't on yet so wont be as noticeable.

Awesome, My mate recently swapped his Mk3 GT for a G40. yes, SWAPPED!

What other plans have you got for it then?

Well awaiting a custom inlet manifold so i can get the bike carbs on, and new exhaust system (not a big 5 inch pipe) After that respray and maybe flocking the interior.

FF Clio 182 Silver
Rolling the arches and the bumpers aren't on yet so wont be as noticeable.

Well awaiting a custom inlet manifold so i can get the bike carbs on, and new exhaust system (not a big 5 inch pipe) After that respray and maybe flocking the interior.

ahh ok get you now...hope for your sake they aint noticeable lol

Mk2 Golf gti
That looks great, think im gona change my 6n 16v for a gt this summer, sooo much cheaper to insure!

1.2 expression
This isn't tommy, it's Alex, the owner of this car, though id better say what engine it is as somehow, even though i work with him and he's seen this progress, jack somehow didnt know what engine was in it :rofl:
At the moment, its a 1.4 16v out of a 6n, but the plans are to build a hybrid 1.6 16v out of 3 different engines in the future, cam it and stick it on mappable ignition, its been done before and the guy is running 180bhp, cheaply, nd more importantly reliably! Failing that, its going to be a g40 turbo build, but thats lots of money and i should be saving for a house!
i just want to get this thing running now, so the 1.4 16v will do, 130bhp in a car that weighs 600kg will do for this summer i guess..

I know about the poke issue, and the points for it, the rears, with the stretch sit inside perfectly in the arches, so they are ok, and the fronts will just about be when my arch roller finally arrives :)

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback guys :D

1.2 expression
Have to say, it all looks pretty slap dash "it'll do" to me! Will it pass an MOT like that??

Really? its been off the road for 5months and some of that is from when i originally had it from over a year ago!
What makes you think it wont pass exactly?

Really? its been off the road for 5months and some of that is from when i originally had it from over a year ago!
What makes you think it wont pass exactly?

I am not saying it won't - I am interested to know if it will. I would have thought the wheels sticking out that far would be a fail for a start? Things like using a sign to cover a hole and just welded into place cannot be safe? Same with the wiring that looks all over the place! It just all looks half arsed and like a death trap to me!

Clio 1.2 mk2
I am not saying it won't - I am interested to know if it will. I would have thought the wheels sticking out that far would be a fail for a start? Things like using a sign to cover a hole and just welded into place cannot be safe? Same with the wiring that looks all over the place! It just all looks half arsed and like a death trap to me!

The wiring isn't finished yet. It's just there like that so we can see where it all is before it all goes back properly. The arches wont be so much of a problem once the trim is back on. The sign i've no idea haha, but i think it's better than the whole that was there that it passed it's last mot with. But yehh it will be a lot tidier before it goes on the road.

Not to come across as a t**t, but if my car failed an MOT on the basis of having "a sharp edge" from a crack in the wing, I'm amazed a self welded piece of metal from a sign is let through.

But good on you for doing some work on your car yourself. No taking away from changing an engine yourself!

Clio 1.2 mk2
In all honesty I don't know if it will, and don't worry about it. I don't think your being a tw*t. haha
Will have to see how things play with the MOT. Not my car so not too much of a problem for me if it fails :p

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've seen MUCH worse pass, and I've seen much better fail! MOT is a bit of a lottery at times.

1.2 expression
The sign was because i had no metal to hand, and the sign was galvanised and wouldnt rust as that area is horrendous for rot, but has been sealed around the edge, and all painted, and since its been smoothed, its hard to tell its not original! Its the battery tray anyhow, so without undoing the clamp and taking it out, you wouldnt see it!
The arches are getting rolled tonight/tomorrow so the wheels wont poke out at all.
The wiring has been stripped back as ive ditched the ecu as im running bike carbs and an old mk2 vac advance ignition system, im removing the wires i dont need (about 3kg so far!) and cant do that whilst its all in the loom tape, in fact this morning, 20m of tape arrived to tidy it all back up again :D
Trust me, this is no rush job, and no expense has been spared, i hate to think how much ive spent on this bloody thing :/
Oh, and by the time its finished, there is nothing it should fail on, everything has been replaced! though emissions may be a slight issue :S

Last edited: