ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 Track Car Project

It's on the SEN circuit. I've never driven that layout before so will be a nice change from the GT layout. Be good to see you there.

Clio 220 PH2
It's on the SEN circuit. I've never driven that layout before so will be a nice change from the GT layout. Be good to see you there.
Ok mate nice one. I have done that layout before and it's a good circuit I like it. Nice for the clios
I will try and make it :) be nice to catch up again

Clio 220 PH2
Finally I have managed to get the drivers side harness fitted it been a week of getting frushed with it and spending money on different parts they are in and look great. I have the other set coming on Monday so will fit them the week after next as I am at Le Mans next week :) and then just trying to sort insurance for the car and we are all good to go :)
Here are some pictures of the harnesses fitted
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi
With those harness, do the shoulder straps wrap round a cage ? And.. Did you use the schroth brackets both sides on the seat subframe ?
Looking good as usual :up::up:

Clio 220 PH2
Hi
With those harness, do the shoulder straps wrap round a cage ? And.. Did you use the schroth brackets both sides on the seat subframe ?
Looking good as usual :up::up:
Yes matey they wrap round the rear part of the cage (looks like a strut brace but is part of the cage) I will get some closer pictures of the strap round the back and the brackets.
And yes mate I ended up using the schroth B23a snap brackets because the space I had the eye bolts wouldn't work. I was told by MSAR I believe they are called these snap brackets are safer than the eye bolts. Again I will get some picture to show where I have bolted them. Really good brackets to be fair and can be bent to suit the car and angles :)
Cheers mate I am very happy with it :)

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Nice one Ben that's good to know..I do have a harness bar and pictures would be great.
I'm changing my subframes to the ones that @JON FOZ has designed. My old cobra ones have a bracket on them for an eye bolt for the inner lap strap and the outer lap strap clips on the original seat belt rail. The schroth brackets will solve my problem :up:.

Cheers Andy

Clio 220 PH2
Nice one Ben that's good to know..I do have a harness bar and pictures would be great.
I'm changing my subframes to the ones that @JON FOZ has designed. My old cobra ones have a bracket on them for an eye bolt for the inner lap strap and the outer lap strap clips on the original seat belt rail. The schroth brackets will solve my problem :up:.

Cheers Andy
I took some pictures as soon as I got home :)
Yes that's the subframes I use there are brilliant drops the seat down perfect nice and low and well built. Yes if i was going to do it again I would use these snap brackets there are so much easier to use and look smart as well.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The centre brackets are bolted down with the subframe
image.jpeg

The picture isn't brilliant for the outer one because I had no room to get my camera in because of the roll cage but this might give you an idea how it sits in the subframe
image.jpeg

I hope this helps matey :)

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I took some pictures as soon as I got home :smile:
Yes that's the subframes I use there are brilliant drops the seat down perfect nice and low and well built. Yes if i was going to do it again I would use these snap brackets there are so much easier to use and look smart as well.
View attachment 157696
View attachment 157697
The centre brackets are bolted down with the subframe
View attachment 157698
The picture isn't brilliant for the outer one because I had no room to get my camera in because of the roll cage but this might give you an idea how it sits in the subframe
View attachment 157699
I hope this helps matey :smile:

That's great Ben :up: didn't mean for you to get on it straight away :up::up:
Many thanks

Clio 220 PH2
Aren't the harness points meant to be on their own and not on a seat bolt?
I am pretty sure they are ok to be used with a seat bolt (subframe) I would never bolt a seat belt bolt to the seat I am pretty sure you are not allowed to do that. These brackets are designed to be used for tight spaces and to be bolted down with other components. Porsche use these a lot in there cars when the come with harnesses.
I did double check with a motorsport place and they said it was ok to do as long as the bolts are strong enough

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
f**king pointy shoe brigade on the Aston stand wanted a slap! I mean what do they look like it's not 2008 anymore.

Car looks lovely Ben, well done.

Clio 220 PH2
@Ben NBR Cup I have just booked onto the general car day at Bedford on the 9th July. Be good to see this there if you can make that date?
Hey up mate I am unfortunately not going to make the track day that weekend I have work that I can not get out of I am afraid. Are you planning anymore trackdays in July ?

Clio 220 PH2
Finally got the old gal on the road had it MOTed and got the geo sorted want to change it to be more aggressive on the camber I think, it's set to about -2 degrees want more like -2.5-/3 degrees
However really enjoying the car nothing has broken on me yet or fell off (touch wood) just need to get the thing booked onto a track day (need to confirm which one)
Also got the car cleaned and it has come up really well :)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some pictures of the car clean now
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This car has been built on the fuel of Orange Lucozade and Chinese food the many bottles that has been drank I feel the car needs sponsoring by Lucozade haha
So here's a picture of the car having a drink of our zesty beverage haha
image.jpeg

I am going to say stage one of the build is complete we have the majority of the big stuff done now I can do track days and other bits like go to shows with it but this doesn't mean the mods will stop I still have many more plans for this car they just won't happen as fast as stage one but I really want to make this a super super track weapon and maybe one day put it on slicks and go racing :)

Finally got the old gal on the road had it MOTed and got the geo sorted want to change it to be more aggressive on the camber I think, it's set to about -2 degrees want more like -2.5-/3 degrees
However really enjoying the car nothing has broken on me yet or fell off (touch wood) just need to get the thing booked onto a track day (need to confirm which one)
Also got the car cleaned and it has come up really well :)
View attachment 159390
View attachment 159391
Some pictures of the car clean now
View attachment 159392
View attachment 159393
View attachment 159394
This car has been built on the fuel of Orange Lucozade and Chinese food the many bottles that has been drank I feel the car needs sponsoring by Lucozade haha
So here's a picture of the car having a drink of our zesty beverage haha
View attachment 159395
I am going to say stage one of the build is complete we have the majority of the big stuff done now I can do track days and other bits like go to shows with it but this doesn't mean the mods will stop I still have many more plans for this car they just won't happen as fast as stage one but I really want to make this a super super track weapon and maybe one day put it on slicks and go racing :)
Looks really nice and clean mate, now get out and use it ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Clio 220 PH2
Looks really nice and clean mate, now get out and use it :wink:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Haha cheers mate
Yes mate put some miles on it not used to having a car drink so much fuel though haha my daily is only a 1.2 haha
But yes it's not one of those cars that never sees rain haha

Clio 220 PH2
This looks bloody incredible. My fav track car on here!!
Thank you very much mate I really appreciate that still deciding whether or not to have stickers on the side make it like a racing car (but tasteful stickers) maybe even BB Motorsport make my own sponsor haha

Clio 220 PH2
Just thought I would make a list of all the parts that have been fitted and changed on the car. Maybe a handy list for someone who's thinking about making a track car give you some ideas :) this is the first section of the mods like I have said in previous posted there will be more to come watch this space :)
He's the list I may have forgot some but this is from the top of my head
-Bilstein B14 suspension
-Eibach camber bolts
-15mm front wheel spacers
-Full stud conversion
-CL RC5+ pads
-Brembo high carbon discs (not grooved)
-Braided brake lines
-Millers DOT 4 racing brake fluid
-Black series Poly brushed anti roll bar (front)
-Toyo R888 tyres
-Whiteline anti roll bar (rear)
-1.0 degree camber shim (rear)
-Standard rear discs
-Federal DS Performance pads (rears)
-Black series poly bush rear top bush for the damper
-K-tec induction kit
-Full K-tec stainless steel exhaust (K-tec ultra with non res centre section with decat)
-Cm composite splitter
-Cm composite canards
-Cm composite roof scoop
-Cm composite fibre glass spoiler
-Cm composite fibre glass doors
-Pure Motorsport fibre glass bonnet
-Pure Motorsport fibre glass boot lid
-Cold air feed brake ducts with piping to the callipers
-Aero catch front and rear
-Full latch delete on bonnet and boot
-Heated front screen
-Poly windows, driver and passenger with lockable cat flaps
-Poly rear window with wiper delete
-Re-painted roof in black
-Full FIA custom cages welding in Roll cage with front strut supports
-Corbeau Pro series seats with custom stitching and logo and custom painted back with carbon fibre HANS support (drivers standard size, passenger XL)
-Ultra low subframes
-Schroth clubman III ASM 4 point harnesses with rotary buckles.
-Schroth B23a snap brackets
-Sabelt Renault Sport racing steering wheel
-Pure Motorsport air con delete
-Full air con delete (everything)
-Full heating and blower delete (no heater matrix or rads)
-Lower dash delete only running top of the dash
-Custom centre switch panel
-Rear wiring reduction
-Hidden wiring behind panels
-Pure Motorsport full carbon fibre door cards front and rear
-Fully stripped interior with sound deadening removed
-Full re-spray inside (white)
-Full repaint on the roll cage (green)
-Fibreglass panels repainted (body colour)
-Black parts painted on the bumpers
-Repainted fibre glass spoiler (black)
-Green parts painted (Mirrors, scoop)
All mods done vehicle weighing in at 942 kg more weight to be removed :)

This car wouldnt of happened without the help of all my mates that have helped me out spending hours and hours in a cold garage every week thanks guys :)

I would just like to say a big thank you to you brilliant people for all your help this would of been a lot harder without your advice and guidance and it's a great forum. I shall be staying on here for a while :)
Thank you all :)

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Just thought I would make a list of all the parts that have been fitted and changed on the car. Maybe a handy list for someone who's thinking about making a track car give you some ideas :smile: this is the first section of the mods like I have said in previous posted there will be more to come watch this space :smile:
He's the list I may have forgot some but this is from the top of my head
-Bilstein B14 suspension
-Eibach camber bolts
-15mm front wheel spacers
-Full stud conversion
-CL RC5+ pads
-Brembo high carbon discs (not grooved)
-Braided brake lines
-Millers DOT 4 racing brake fluid
-Black series Poly brushed anti roll bar (front)
-Toyo R888 tyres
-Whiteline anti roll bar (rear)
-1.0 degree camber shim (rear)
-Standard rear discs
-Federal DS Performance pads (rears)
-Black series poly bush rear top bush for the damper
-K-tec induction kit
-Full K-tec stainless steel exhaust (K-tec ultra with non res centre section with decat)
-Cm composite splitter
-Cm composite canards
-Cm composite roof scoop
-Cm composite fibre glass spoiler
-Cm composite fibre glass doors
-Pure Motorsport fibre glass bonnet
-Pure Motorsport fibre glass boot lid
-Cold air feed brake ducts with piping to the callipers
-Aero catch front and rear
-Full latch delete on bonnet and boot
-Heated front screen
-Poly windows, driver and passenger with lockable cat flaps
-Poly rear window with wiper delete
-Re-painted roof in black
-Full FIA custom cages welding in Roll cage with front strut supports
-Corbeau Pro series seats with custom stitching and logo and custom painted back with carbon fibre HANS support (drivers standard size, passenger XL)
-Ultra low subframes
-Schroth clubman III ASM 4 point harnesses with rotary buckles.
-Schroth B23a snap brackets
-Sabelt Renault Sport racing steering wheel
-Pure Motorsport air con delete
-Full air con delete (everything)
-Full heating and blower delete (no heater matrix or rads)
-Lower dash delete only running top of the dash
-Custom centre switch panel
-Rear wiring reduction
-Hidden wiring behind panels
-Pure Motorsport full carbon fibre door cards front and rear
-Fully stripped interior with sound deadening removed
-Full re-spray inside (white)
-Full repaint on the roll cage (green)
-Fibreglass panels repainted (body colour)
-Black parts painted on the bumpers
-Repainted fibre glass spoiler (black)
-Green parts painted (Mirrors, scoop)
All mods done vehicle weighing in at 942 kg more weight to be removed :smile:

This car wouldnt of happened without the help of all my mates that have helped me out spending hours and hours in a cold garage every week thanks guys :smile:

I would just like to say a big thank you to you brilliant people for all your help this would of been a lot harder without your advice and guidance and it's a great forum. I shall be staying on here for a while :smile:
Thank you all :smile:

Car really looks great. Will be borrowing a few ideas for mine. Did you have to extend the rear wiring to hide it in the channels? Something I'm tackling tomorrow as it's driving me mad.

Clio 220 PH2
Car really looks great. Will be borrowing a few ideas for mine. Did you have to extend the rear wiring to hide it in the channels? Something I'm tackling tomorrow as it's driving me mad.
Cheers mate :)
No we didn't need to extend it the cables they are just long enough to be hidden. Now the only wires I have going to the back are for the brake lights the rest of the wiring have been removed so I am not sure if the likes of the rear wiper wires reach but definitely the fuel pump and rear lights you shouldn't have a problem with. Are you planning on channeling the wires down the sill ?
I know your pain mate but when it's done it's worth it :)

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Yeah that was the plan. Bit worried about stripping it down and something going wrong. But my ocd is kicking in and the wiring is really starting to bug me. Wanna get the interior sprayed with a cage in the next month(ish) and wanna get it looking clean for it.

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah that was the plan. Bit worried about stripping it down and something going wrong. But my ocd is kicking in and the wiring is really starting to bug me. Wanna get the interior sprayed with a cage in the next month(ish) and wanna get it looking clean for it.
I had to cut the loom to get it down the sill because the connector blocks wouldn't go through but once it's pulled through re-solder and its fine.
I haven't had any problems cutting the wires back, I didn't cut any wires that are under the dash because I wasn't sure with that one haha.
Onces they are hidden it does look smart and clean especially with the inside being white :)
What colour scheme are you thinking of having ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I had to cut the loom to get it down the sill because the connector blocks wouldn't go through but once it's pulled through re-solder and its fine.
I haven't had any problems cutting the wires back, I didn't cut any wires that are under the dash because I wasn't sure with that one haha.
Onces they are hidden it does look smart and clean especially with the inside being white :smile:
What colour scheme are you thinking of having ?

Cars black. got 2118's coming in anthracite and a few odd bits in yellow. unsure on what to do with the interior color. I wanted to go anthracite but was told it would get very hot as im probably gonnna go the a/c delete and polly windows route so might go white. cage will be yellow though.

one from today: needs more anthracite

IMG_4404.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
Cars black. got 2118's coming in anthracite and a few odd bits in yellow. unsure on what to do with the interior color. I wanted to go anthracite but was told it would get very hot as im probably gonnna go the a/c delete and polly windows route so might go white. cage will be yellow though.

one from today: needs more anthracite

IMG_4404.jpg
The car looks smart I like the yellow and black combo, maybe you could have the mirrors in yellow as well :)
I really like the white combo from how mine has come out I think with a yellow cage would look really good. As well in bright sun the yellow will reflect and tint the white interior and that would look good.
Are you going to keep the heater matrix and fans ?
The poly Windows do get hot because they don't have a tint in them like glass does but once you are driving they don't get silly hot.
What about having the grill in anthracite ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
The car looks smart I like the yellow and black combo, maybe you could have the mirrors in yellow as well :smile:
I really like the white combo from how mine has come out I think with a yellow cage would look really good. As well in bright sun the yellow will reflect and tint the white interior and that would look good.
Are you going to keep the heater matrix and fans ?
The poly Windows do get hot because they don't have a tint in them like glass does but once you are driving they don't get silly hot.
What about having the grill in anthracite ?

Feel like im hijacking your thread here :p yeah the mirrors are going yellow and the grill will go anthracite when i get round to those bits. just want to get it track ready and get it out before "summer" goes again. Ive jumped on the group buy for some carbon fibre door cards so need to look into the poly windows a bit more and do it all at once. I havent really looked into the whole heater system, I need to find a good guide to removing the whole dash (i can only find the top of it) so i can have a good look and see what needs doing.

Clio 220 PH2
Feel like im hijacking your thread here :tongueout: yeah the mirrors are going yellow and the grill will go anthracite when i get round to those bits. just want to get it track ready and get it out before "summer" goes again. Ive jumped on the group buy for some carbon fibre door cards so need to look into the poly windows a bit more and do it all at once. I havent really looked into the whole heater system, I need to find a good guide to removing the whole dash (i can only find the top of it) so i can have a good look and see what needs doing.
It's all good mate haha :) that will look good mate nice and bright
I know what you mean mate I had a similar thing with mine I wanted it to be finished so I can use it through the summer
For the side windows I recommend going to ACW motorsport plastics that's where mine are from and they are spot on the guy who runs it is really nice and if you say you are from the forum he knocks about 5% off from memory. He is much cheaper than plastics 4 performance and the quality is still top line.
The lower dash removal is a bit more of a pain but it's not as scary as you think once the top part of the dash is off access to the lower bolts is much more simple. Once all the bolts are out it will need a good pull and it will come out. I recommend taking the steering wheel to give you plenty of room

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
It's all good mate haha :smile: that will look good mate nice and bright
I know what you mean mate I had a similar thing with mine I wanted it to be finished so I can use it through the summer
For the side windows I recommend going to ACW motorsport plastics that's where mine are from and they are spot on the guy who runs it is really nice and if you say you are from the forum he knocks about 5% off from memory. He is much cheaper than plastics 4 performance and the quality is still top line.
The lower dash removal is a bit more of a pain but it's not as scary as you think once the top part of the dash is off access to the lower bolts is much more simple. Once all the bolts are out it will need a good pull and it will come out. I recommend taking the steering wheel to give you plenty of room

cheers will look into the windows. took your advice and tackled the rear loom today. unplugged everything apart from the spoiler end then fed everything through the sides and managed to hide most of it. looks way better now. turned on the car to test the lights, and it started then died. my heart just sank. what have i done? spend 20 minutes crapping my pants trying to figure out what wire i had stripped out wrong. i hadnt plugged the main connector in (passenger footwell). i laughed, cried and called myself a d***head in the same breath. 😅

Clio 220 PH2
cheers will look into the windows. took your advice and tackled the rear loom today. unplugged everything apart from the spoiler end then fed everything through the sides and managed to hide most of it. looks way better now. turned on the car to test the lights, and it started then died. my heart just sank. what have i done? spend 20 minutes crapping my pants trying to figure out what wire i had stripped out wrong. i hadnt plugged the main connector in (passenger footwell). i laughed, cried and called myself a d***head in the same breath. 😅
Haha that's good everything is sorted even I was panicking when reading it thinking my advice has ruined his car. I would imagine I died because the fuel pump wiring runs through that plug so it was just running on stuff in the pipes. Glad it's all come up looking good matey have you got any pictures of what it looks like inside now ?
I have had a few heart sinking moments with mine haha I started it once and it ran but I had no rev counter fuel gauge the dials had stopped work completely (released I hadn't connected the earths lol) :)

Clio 220 PH2
Regarding the rear loom, where abouts did you feed it through the sides? Any chance of a pic please? I'm not enjoying the wires running where the side trim used to be so is there a way to hide that too? Thanks!
When I get back today matey I will take some pictures of where I have rooted all the wires. It's good fun wiring isn't it. Are you planning on running rear door cards ?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Regarding the rear loom, where abouts did you feed it through the sides? Any chance of a pic please? I'm not enjoying the wires running where the side trim used to be so is there a way to hide that too? Thanks!
When I did mine I undid everything apart from the ones that go to the spoiler. So that's the main connector in the passenger footwell, a sensor near both seat belts, the one in a the middle of the car, both rear lights and earths, the rear plate light, roof Ariel and speaker wires. Then I took the main connecter to start with and fed it through the top panel in the passenger rear quarter then out by the passenger seatbelt. Run that line behind the seats then through the driver seatbelt up to the driver rear door card and all the way to the rear light. It isn't as bad as I have made it out. Just unplug everything apart from the wire going to the spoiler and it's obvious what you have to do.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
When I get back today matey I will take some pictures of where I have rooted all the wires. It's good fun wiring isn't it. Are you planning on running rear door cards ?

Not answering for Dan, but he asked the exact same question I wanted to! I'm going to run 'lightweight' rear door cards, so those little panels that cover the hole. But also want to hide all my wiring.

Never done anything wire related before. Own a soldering iron thats never been used, so I guess I'm almost there 😂