ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 Track Car Project

Clio 220 PH2
Not answering for Dan, but he asked the exact same question I wanted to! I'm going to run 'lightweight' rear door cards, so those little panels that cover the hole. But also want to hide all my wiring.

Never done anything wire related before. Own a soldering iron thats never been used, so I guess I'm almost there 😂
Having the door cards at the rear helps as you can imaging giving the back a cleaner look. You will need to channel the wires over the rear wheel arch and down to where the old front seat belt used to be that allows wires to go to the other side of the car and to the multi plug by the passenger foot well.
I will grab lots of pictures for you both and then it's a bit easier to see rather than me waffling on haha
But a soldering iron is good you may need that if chopping begins on wires haha
It's not the hardest job in the world but worth it when you are finished

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
When I did mine I undid everything apart from the ones that go to the spoiler. So that's the main connector in the passenger footwell, a sensor near both seat belts, the one in a the middle of the car, both rear lights and earths, the rear plate light, roof Ariel and speaker wires. Then I took the main connecter to start with and fed it through the top panel in the passenger rear quarter then out by the passenger seatbelt. Run that line behind the seats then through the driver seatbelt up to the driver rear door card and all the way to the rear light. It isn't as bad as I have made it out. Just unplug everything apart from the wire going to the spoiler and it's obvious what you have to do.
I almost get you! thanks for that mate. It's just where is the main connector running to now? Instead of going along that sill by the passenger or is it still there?

Pics will definitely help me thanks @Ben NBR Cup will be running rear door cards at a later date but not at the moment.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I almost get you! thanks for that mate. It's just where is the main connector running to now? Instead of going along that sill by the passenger or is it still there?

Pics will definitely help me thanks @Ben NBR Cup will be running rear door cards at a later date but not at the moment.

For the main line it in the same place down the passenger footwell and outside of the seats. If you remove the original plastic clips it falls down quite nicely and is hidden by the seat runners. Like Ben said once mine is sprayed I will be getting some sort of clip or sticky pad to hold it all down and make sure it doesn't catch on the seat runners.

Clio 220 PH2
@dann2707 i personally haven't seen one, if you are tracking wires let's say you want to remove the wires from the wiper motor to the main plug get a multi meter set it to continuity and pick a wire you want to remove and touch that with your prob, now go the the connector block and with the other lead (of your multimeter) touch the pins until your multi meter gives you a reading normally it will say 0.02 that means you have found your wire. If you see this reading of 1 keep looking as that means infinity and you haven't got the right wire. That's how we did it without a wiring diagram and touch wood it's all working fine :)

I managed to tuck the rear wires on mine withough cutting/stripping anything. They still run down the outside of the sill as for that some cutting would have been needeed, but the rear looks tidy and thats good enough for me.

Also, car looks amazing! Been following the build for a while and I'm loving the progress.

Clio 220 PH2
I managed to tuck the rear wires on mine withough cutting/stripping anything. They still run down the outside of the sill as for that some cutting would have been needeed, but the rear looks tidy and thats good enough for me.

Also, car looks amazing! Been following the build for a while and I'm loving the progress.
I only cut mine because I wanted it to run down the sill of the car because I am sad and have OCD haha
Cheers thank you very much :)

Clio 220 PH2
Here some pictures of how I have rooted the wires I am still working on the wires so some of it looks a bit messy but gives you an idea
image.jpeg

Wires at the rear lights and the cable to the number plate light. (Right hand side)
image.jpeg

Earth point for the lights (left hand side)
image.jpeg

Cables go over the rear wheel arch. Bit messy but not seen but will be tidied up :)
image.jpeg

Not a great picture but this is the wires behind the rear door cars (black line on the right hand side)
image.jpeg

Across the rear of the seats wrapped in insulation tape and to the fuel pump bit of zip tieing in green of course lol

Clio 220 PH2
image.jpeg

This is where the cable splits for the lights and the fuel pump
image.jpeg

Crossed over to the other side where next it will run through the sill this is where we had to cut the wires
image.jpeg

This where it exists the sill and connects to the multi plug
And these are the sticky pads I have used to keep it neat behind the panels
image.jpeg

Clio 220 PH2
Finally got round to fitting my radio and also has a hands free setting on it as well :) all the mods on this track car haha
The only down side is at 70mph I can not here the radio haha the joys of a loud exhaust and stripped interior
I have Velcroed it to the dash so when I get to the track I can remove it and go even faster :)
image.jpeg

Clio 220 PH2
Hi mate, what are you doing for a heater/blower?
I am not going to run them I don't feel at the minute I need them and just wrap up in a jumper when it gets cold lol
My roof scoop brings enough cold air into the car for me to stay cool on warm days
Maybe if you wanted to run heater look at the classic Mini (the car) heater matrix I have been told there one of the smallest heater matrix out there if it's something you want to keep small and out the way ?

Clio 220 PH2
Little update
The car went down to EFI on Monday to get a remap done to make sure the car is running sweet with the mods I have done. While I was in the area me and my friend popped to demon tweeks to get a new visor for my helmet and a fire extinguisher for the car (hopefully never need to use it) I will be fitting it Wednesday so I will get some pictures once fitted plus a new sun strip as well.
Here's a picture of the car on the dyno
image.jpeg

Had to run the car with no bonnet just to keep it cool normally you have to have the bonnet up but being fibre glass it might of broke with the fan lol
image.jpeg

Massive thank you to Chris at EFI he is a star I would highly recommend him if you are thinking of getting a remap spot on
The car with no map on made 182bhp (just the mods I have done) and then after Chris did his magic it now is running 188.3bhp which I am over the moon with :)
The car is also booked on a track day at donington this Friday so I shall get some pictures of the car there :)

Clio 220 PH2
Another little update
Managed last night to fit my fire extinguisher and my sun strip ready for my track day tomorrow which I can not wait for :) I will try and get some videos and upload to YouTube for you to have a look at
Here are some pictures of the sun strip and fire extinguisher
image.jpg

image.jpg

Just missed the brake lines with the drill which was nice :)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think it looks nice on the car and really does help with the sun very happy with it

Clio 220 PH2
Had a brilliant day at donington on Friday the car was a massive improvement over the last track day it's night and day better than before I am so happy with it. However it didn't come without war wounds I managed to get a stone chip on the windscreen and the bonnet started to break at the front so we had to use the trusty duck tape haha
How the car started in the morning
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

An hour and 47 minutes into the track day the duck tape came out lol
image.jpeg

And the little chip hard to see but it's there
image.jpeg

It's just above my phone in this picture
Here's some more of the day
image.jpeg

Had to buy a green visor for the helmet to match the car haha
image.jpeg

Also as well I met up with @NorthloopCup who popped in to say hello it was great to have a chat and put a face to the name :) thanks for coming to say hello mate

Clio 220 PH2
Today the two track toys met up to say hello to each other, my go kart is being rebuilt to hopefully be raced next year all fingers crossed. The Clio is not going anywhere that's my big boy toy lol :)
image.jpeg

New tyres are needed for the Clio and a set of rear pads before the Nurburgring at the end of September looks like the wallet is coming out again haha it's all good fun though :)

Clio 220 PH2
Oh gosh, I scrolled down then and thought that was a stretcher not a go-kart hahaha

Glad you enjoyed the track day mate!
Haha a stretcher would be more comfortable than than fibre glass seat lol
Cheers mate have you got any planned in your beast ?

Clio 220 PH2
Been a little bit quiet on the old Clio front lately but the old gal has had some new mods done to it :)
I have gone through a set of rear exhaust mounts in less than a year so I thought I would make myself the uprated powerflex black edition bushes to make sure the exhaust doesn't keep melting my bumper
Here a picture of them
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shiny and new bushes
Also while I was upgrading the mount I would do the engine mounts and stabiliser bar as well because the engine is rocking and the exhaust manifold is hitting the subframe
Old
image.jpeg

New
image.jpeg

Did the gearbox mount as well but I forgot to take a picture of it sorry all
But here's a picture of the engine mount
Old
image.jpeg

New
image.jpeg

I also took the metal block that sits under the engine mount as well ( that weights a lot)
Made a massive difference to the car once it was all fitted feel really solid and complete. It almost feels like the car and engine are one

Clio 220 PH2
Those mounts make a huge difference don't they!

Nice update buddy I had wondered where you had gone. Thought you may have got stuck in your cage again haha
They do mate I am really happy with them :)
Haha yeah I have been prepping for the ring at the end of the month.
Haha I only got stuck one more time since the last picture haha it's doing the wiring where i end up getting stuck

Clio 220 PH2
Another small update to be added I had to buy new front tyres for the Clio as donington pretty much finished them off for road driving they will do another track day but as I have a big old drive to Germany soon the best and safest bet was to put new fronts on. I went for in the end the toyo R888Rs as I have only good things to say about toyo track tyres so stuck with what I know. Just a few pictures of the new rubber fitted :)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking forward to testing these out see how much different they are to the standard 888s the next update will be getting the car finished for the ring :)
Cheers
Ben

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Are you not tempted to go for 15"s?

Tyres are wayyyy cheaper and the standard 182 wheels are ridiculously heavy. I noticed a massive difference just on the road from changing down an inch. the car feels way more nimble after

Clio 220 PH2
Are you not tempted to go for 15"s?

Tyres are wayyyy cheaper and the standard 182 wheels are ridiculously heavy. I noticed a massive difference just on the road from changing down an inch. the car feels way more nimble after
That will be my next purchase I am going to save some pennies and when autosport happens in Jan I am going to treat it to a new set of TD 1.2s. I have been wanting 15s for a while but because I had already got new tyres on the 16s I didn't want to be buying wheel and tyres twice but I think I will burn the tyres out on the 16s and uses them as wet wheels and have the 15s as track and I can not wait for cheaper tyres haha.
Also it's might be having a full respray and maybe a colour change But still keeping the green haha

Clio 220 PH2
Got back from the Nurburgring safe and sound without too many problems the car did brilliantly round there I am really happy with it it did a 8.52 on its first outing (I wasn't timing it was just off my video I know the time) few things I want to change getting 15" wheels are a must because of the tyre hitting inner arch and maybe stiffen the suspension up on the front
Here's some pictures from Spa still waiting for the pictures to come through from the ring
We took 4 cars with us to play with :)
The tradition euro tunnel bacon batch before we leave
IMG_1239.JPG

On the train with my GB sticker mod without sticking to the panel (detailing tape used)
IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

Got to Spa safely found a few clios a very nice silver 200 :)
At Spa had group photo :)
IMG_1259.JPG

Also managed to get the car on skylimits website in there promo video :)
And the traditional selfie picture haha
IMG_1246.JPG

Last picture of this post is the pizza we had in Germany and then when the pictures come from the ring I will add them to the post :)
IMG_1255.JPG

#bigpizza haha

Clio 220 PH2
Finally managed to get the pictures from frozen speed from the DN event here are some of them :)
IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

Not got it jumping yet haha
IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

Holding off the Aston Martin here lol
IMG_1302.JPG

Really happy how the pictures have come out :)
Really feel the car need stickering up to make it look like a race car not sure if that's a good idea ?
Any suggestions?
Hopefully new wheels soon I will keep you posted

Clio 220 PH2
Small update but not a modification update the car did its final track day of 2016 at Bedford on Saturday in very wet conditions. I had never driven the car in the wet on a track before and the car was amazing so much fun had a smile on my face all day. The car had so much lift off oversteer (may of helped that happen haha) I had a few video but not sure how to upload them to here does anyone know ?
There were a few clios there on the trackday all of them looked really nice and when really well round the track I would say they were one of the fastest cars there #goteamcliosport
Here's a few pictures after the day was over forgot to take some through the day
IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

Mine and dads car together both when really well
Also I would just like to say the 888r were really good in the wet they had a lot more grip that we were expecting (both mine and dads are on 888s)
Only down side was the roof scoop leaked a bit so came out with wet trousers lol
Hopefully some more mods in the new year for the car, new wheels are top of the list and maybe a spoiler not sure yet
Hope you all still enjoy the thread, the mods won't be as thick and fast as I want to spend the money on learning to drive the car fast and then get back on the modifying game lol
Thanks everyone :)

Looks mint. Does that mean another aerocatch for the centre of the bonnet? Or some of those elastic quick release things? :smile:

Whats the process for removing that big chunk of metal, and does it actually serve a purpose? I remember reading about it a while ago but never got around to it. Will be putting black powerflex engine mounts in mine soon so may as well do it while I'm at it.

Clio 220 PH2
Looks mint. Does that mean another aerocatch for the centre of the bonnet? Or some of those elastic quick release things? :smile:

Whats the process for removing that big chunk of metal, and does it actually serve a purpose? I remember reading about it a while ago but never got around to it. Will be putting black powerflex engine mounts in mine soon so may as well do it while I'm at it.
Thanks mate :) I think I need to come up with a solution for the bonnet rather than duck tape lol I need to keep a clean look I am not sure if lowing the height of the bonnet will help but an aero catch is a possibility
How I did it was lift the engine up remove the engine mount completely and there's one bolt that holds that big block thing in, remove that and lift it out and then refit the engine mount and job done. It hasn't effected my car a part from saving some more weight :) I see no reason for that block to be there
Best time when you are doing the engine mount mate just get rid of that block :)

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Small update but not a modification update the car did its final track day of 2016 at Bedford on Saturday in very wet conditions. I had never driven the car in the wet on a track before and the car was amazing so much fun had a smile on my face all day. The car had so much lift off oversteer (may of helped that happen haha) I had a few video but not sure how to upload them to here does anyone know ?
There were a few clios there on the trackday all of them looked really nice and when really well round the track I would say they were one of the fastest cars there #goteamcliosport
Here's a few pictures after the day was over forgot to take some through the day
View attachment 171679
View attachment 171680
Mine and dads car together both when really well
Also I would just like to say the 888r were really good in the wet they had a lot more grip that we were expecting (both mine and dads are on 888s)
Only down side was the roof scoop leaked a bit so came out with wet trousers lol
Hopefully some more mods in the new year for the car, new wheels are top of the list and maybe a spoiler not sure yet
Hope you all still enjoy the thread, the mods won't be as thick and fast as I want to spend the money on learning to drive the car fast and then get back on the modifying game lol
Thanks everyone :smile:

Looking good! Have you had any thoughts on a spoiler? I've been toying with the idea recently and was talking to my Motorsport prep guy who was interested to see the difference it would make.

Clio 220 PH2
Looking good! Have you had any thoughts on a spoiler? I've been toying with the idea recently and was talking to my Motorsport prep guy who was interested to see the difference it would make.
Well I have seen a few clios with these BYC spoilers that are a big big spoiler goes from the middle of the boot to the roof. I think it looks really smart and I believe they are about £326. I watched a video once about front wheel drive cars with spoilers and how it effects the car and with a spoiler the car was nearly 2 seconds fastest round the track. They were saying just because they are front wheel drive they benefit from having the back of the car pushed down giving it more stability in high speed corners.
I will put the link up if I can find it again
But this is the spoiler on someone else's car
IMG_0540.JPG

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Well I have seen a few clios with these BYC spoilers that are a big big spoiler goes from the middle of the boot to the roof. I think it looks really smart and I believe they are about £326. I watched a video once about front wheel drive cars with spoilers and how it effects the car and with a spoiler the car was nearly 2 seconds fastest round the track. They were saying just because they are front wheel drive they benefit from having the back of the car pushed down giving it more stability in high speed corners.
I will put the link up if I can find it again
But this is the spoiler on someone else's car
View attachment 171850

Sweet. Buy one, meet me at Bedford. I'll stand on the line and "photograph" you. We'll do a few laps with and a few without the spoiler. Then I will know if it's worth buying one. :cool:

Clio 220 PH2
Sweet. Buy one, meet me at Bedford. I'll stand on the line and "photograph" you. We'll do a few laps with and a few without the spoiler. Then I will know if it's worth buying one. :cool:
Haha it's definitely on the list of things to buy and want lol
Haha sounds like a good plan to me mate if it makes it go round the track slower I will sell it to you for a good price haha :)