ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY CAR DIES!! :(

clio 1.2 16v dynamique
ok so it doesnt die for long but the problem is if im sitting idle the rev counter will sit at about 1000rpm but it drops every few second almost cutting out and in most instances it will cut out so im always feathering the accelerator to keep the revs up a little. someone told me its the vacuum hose got a crack and letting to much air in. he didnt even know what car i had and said renault straight away. is this a common problem easy to fix?
and if it is the vacuum pipe where is it??

Mine did this and it was the fly-by-wire throttle. After it stalled if you opened the bonnet (with the ignition still on) you could hear it making some horrible crunching noises. It's a 172 mk2 ph2, but I guess the 1.2s don't have that. Renault replaced the throttle under warranty after I'd told them what was wrong!

It could be a vacuum hose, there are lots, good luck finding the cracked one. Check they are all securely in place as a starter. Look to see if any of them have perished rubber.

I guess the 1.2s have single point injection, so no idle air hole to clogg up?

I'm sure someone who knows 1.2s will respond.

R26 F1
My GF had a 1.2 16V and it did that.
Check the wee black box at the back of the engine bay, hers was letting water in and the wires also needed re-insulated inside it

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Had the same problem with my 172.

On approach to rounabouts or junctions the revs would fall and just keep falling until it stalled.

Throttle body was replaced and this seemed to cure the problem (touch wood).

C

caz

Found another forum with 335 pages on problems with clios! mainly cutting out. not impressed - bought it in may and the first time i drove it it started cutting out! electrical fault light comes on, cuts out and you have to start it again. it also cuts out when i'm rolling to a stop at around 20mph, if u put your foot down on the accelerator it will stop then go again, although burns the clutch! also if i put petrol in and start my car up again the petrol light comes on - miles just disappear! sometimes the gauge will finally work again days later! put some petrol in on friday and it did this - the miles only came back yesterday!

unfortunately i bought this from a private owner therefore no warranty - gutted! really want to sell this car but don't want it to be cutting out on a test drive!

waste of my money definitely!

Clio MK 4
could be lambda sensor. Mine been cutting out and couldnt find the problem. At the moment it not cutting out anymore lol don't know why

C

caz

sounds expensive whatever it is - was also jumping out of first gear today when i was at a roundabout - joy! getting my exhaust fitted this weekend so i'm hoping my friend who is a mechanic will be able to have a look at the wiring loom just to see if it is rubbing!

Cliosport 172 2001
cornflakes same thing was happening to me but when they replaced my speed sensor on my gearbox (separate problem) the mechanic said i had a vacuum tube hanging down he reconnected it and now my car runs perfectly hope this helps.