ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My First Clio Sport 172

2003 Clio 172 Ph2
G’day my name is Mike, and this is my first post.

I picked up my first even Renault, a 2003 Clio Sport 172 Ph2 just before Christmas with the intention of the car becoming a street legal track toy (as I don’t have a trailer), I was considering a Peugeot 206 GTI 180, but the Clio was much better priced and just felt like a better platform to build on. The plan this year (once the car is sorted) is to attend as many hill climb events as I can, as that is what I enjoy most.

I have owned far too many FWD Nissans and Hondas that have been used on and off the track over the years. My current daily is a tuned 2009 Nissan 370Z all NA, other than it being my daily it is a little too heavy and tail happy for twisty hill climb work.

I picked the Clio up cheap with 185,000kms on the clock. There were clearly a number of issues with the car, including some that I am still discovering, which comes with the price.

The good) The top end of the engine was rebuilt at 180,00kms, with new cam belt, tensioners, gaskets, waterpump, etc. It has heaps of compression and feels great (with the exception of a lumpy idle , it feels like it has been cam’d, but it hasn’t?), maybe a candidate for RS tuner further on.

Engine mounts, clutch and radiator are recent. The body and interior are in good shape considering its age (and that I am now its 7th owner…)

The bad) The battery lasted a week. The front wheel bearing and bushes have more play than I would like. The brake rotors are shagged. 3 of the 5 alloys are either buckled or flat spotted. The stock airbox is gone, a 4” pod was floating next to the battery with no supporting brackets, so it literally started to destroy itself while bouncing around. The Exhaust system is stock, with the exception of a boy racer 4” cannon. I had the system sound tested and it registered 99.5db @ 4,000rpm, which isn’t legal around here so that has to go! The aircon compressor is dead, and the aircon hoses are cracked. The drive belt is so loose that it is running under the bottom guide pully and can be moved with my fingers. The factory fuel line has hardened and shrunk, it no longer sits in the retainers, it simply rubs on the head, block, timing cover and heat shielding. Oh and in typical Clio fashion all the jack points are shagged…

I spent a lot of time with the car over Christmas and following lots of internet research later. I decided to just sort it properly and started ordering parts. Some items have arrived, others are still on their way from the UK!

· Powerflex Black front swaybar, rear beam and rear top mount bushes
· Lower front wishbones with better castor, new ball joints and bushes
· All four front and rear wheel bearings
· DBA 4000 (T3) front & DBA (T2) slotted rear brake rotors
· EBC Yellow Stuff front & rear
· Whiteline front camber bolts and rear ARB kit
· Speedy Carbine 16x7 black wheels
· Nankang NS-2R 205/45/16 stickys
· Goodridge SS braided lines
· Stock (modded) airbox (legal requirement)
· K&N panel filter

I still need to order some coilovers and front top mounts (maybe I’ll end up with a Pure Motorsports top mount and strut brace kit). I am really looking forward to having all the parts at hand. The Clio is currently rolling on the new wheels and tyres, the airbox and battery have been sorted. The rear seats, complete stereo are out, the aircon system is half out. Need to get an aircon delete kit now...

So looking forward to just getting this toy sorted!

The car sounds like it's going through a whole heap of change! Clearly this is only for the better though :up:

Certainly the Pure motorsport Top Mount and Strut brace kit are a great addition as everyone on here will pretty much agree. So I'd order one and whilst you're at it, you might as well order their aircon delete kit

I'd Recommend paying the £12 for the full membership and as long as you don't mind paying the postage to Australia, you'll pick up some rather good bargains in the for sale section

all the best with the build :up: