ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Iceberg 172

Clio 172
Ive now owned this car since around April this year and thought it was time to get an ownership diary / prog thread up and running.

I bought the car from Barron and a lot of credit has to go to him. Its been very well maintained with no expense spared. Furthermore hes a spot on lad.

I bought the car having become fed up with a reasonably spec'd sax, being stripped and wearing a harness in my suit on the commute to work became tedious and coupled with it being totally unsuitable for my 18month old daughter it was time to change. With a heavy heart it was time to sell up. This car introduced me to track days and once you have the bug.....

So I set out looking for something that I could use comfortably daily and take in about 6 track days a year (something ive fell massively short of this year). I was tossing up between a teg a clio and everything else within budget. Funds however became tighter thats when I became linked to this car, one visit and I was sold. It was clear how well looked after it had been.

Within a month of ownership I was suitably impressed and then it was off to the 'Ring. Brilliant times, Got in 10 laps and the clio lapped it up - annoyingly my old sax was there as a mate bought it, it was slightly quicker but then was running group n shocks 180lb springs and a quaife so I can live with that.

8d283932-1-1-1.jpg

fd53f5e9-1.jpg

e6b805f2-1.jpg

c3cbf0bc.jpg

85d5f879.jpg

97ea5c71.jpg

At the ring my PE2's basically died, so I got home and got some pzero Nero's, really good for the price, slightly screechy but epic in the wet with really good predictable dry handling.

I then got myself some camber bolts and have the front running -2. Made a really nice difference but im just keeping an eye on tyre wear to see how long they last and if its viable to stay like this.

Next up was a trip to cadwell park. I bought some ropey alloys too bang my 888's on and off I went

DSC_1131_exposure.jpg

DSC_1112_exposure.jpg

DSC_1068_exposure.jpg

DSC_1067_exposure.jpg

Up Mountain

DSC_0361_exposure.jpg

DSC_0158_exposure.jpg

DSC_0275_exposure.jpg

I had a truly epic morning until the car died on the track and my heart was broken. Suspecting engine failure I was gutted. Good news was it was only a dead alternator and a member of the 'failsport' lads sorted me with a new one for £25 - bargain and sorted her right out once fitted.

After a quick wash

JulyAug2010054.jpg

JulyAug2010055.jpg

JulyAug2010050.jpg

JulyAug2010048.jpg

JulyAug2010045.jpg

Other than that all ive done is enjoy its handling round the b's and I had to relace the rear discs - thanks to Northwest perofrmance for making this affordable.

So finally heres the spec

Fastchip Remap
AAS Cat back Exhaust
ITG Panel Filter

Eibach Sportline Springs
New OE Dampers all round

Brembo Max Discs
DS2500 Pads
Braided lines

K-Tec Carbon Splitter

Actually - could anyone answer this? Are the pro line eibachs stiffer than the sportlines? I had a drive of my friends standard 182cup and it felt more stiffly sprung than mine.

Thanks for looking

Ronnie

Clio 172
Cheers fella. Theres a few different sites where ring photographers post there pics for you to buy. I got some from frozenspeed which are ace. A friend came with us though and got some pics over the days too.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Looks well mate, the prolines are for 'go' and the sports for 'show' so may be stiffer but wont be as low :)

Clio 172
Cheers Sanders mate, done lots of searching and a lot are saying the pros and sports are similar for the upgrade in handling but the sports are lower. So will stick with what ive got - its already proven itself and is nice and predictable.

Im seriously considering changing steering wheel though, I quite like oe stuff so maybe a 197 wheel if I can find one thats affordable

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Im glad your enjoying the car :)

Its nice to see it being used properly

Carl

Clio 172
Yeah its spot on Carl mate and goes well too.

Splitter cracked today, work multi storey I was forced to have to go off the ramp straight and it caught. GUTTED.

Clio 172
Little update. Had been getting a slight rattle at high revs. Bit of searching and found the likely cause would be manifold catching subframe. So got this, powerflex dogbone kit

88027984.jpg

Just had it fitted today and also adjusted upper engine mount slightly. Good news is the rattle has gone, it doesnt make any additional vibrations and its gave the car a tighter feel. Oh and the gearchange is a bit slicker too. V happy thus far.

Just over a month ago i gave the car a clean and wax and it beaded like so. (blackhole and bananarmor wax)

d7aa8edc.jpg

92d2adf1.jpg

So after snow, ice salt and lots of muck its holding up pretty well as below

7de29ec6.jpg

a1dee071.jpg

Other than this the clio has done well in the snow with very few issues. California car scent freshners dont seem as strong in colder weather, annoying but better on your nose lol!!