ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some opinions on this, didnt flush old coolant enough

So i did a coolant flush yesterday and everything seemed okay, i ran a house through the system until the rad was poring out completely clear water. But obvsiously ive not flushed it enough or through some of the necessary hoses, cause even though when I topped it up with the fresh type d and it stayed green while i was giving constant revs and topping up, I took it out for a drive and checked it again, it was brown and nasty. Now I have 10 litres worth, ive used just under 5 and am confused as to how much is actually a correct full systems worth cause I see people saying different things. Is it just over 5L or 7l?

I dont know whether to flush it again now cause im not sure if I have enough coolant or order some more and wait. Or wait even longer and get a whole new hose set, cause eventually want the car to be as fresh and new as and now really would be the time to do this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTC-MOTOR...d=263161939227&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Thanks

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Im probably going over the top but I :
remove lower rad hose and drop coolant.
hose through the bottom pipe on the reserviour for 5 minutes or until clear.
bottom rad hose on.
fill with water heat engine up and turn heater on inside car.
after 1 -2 mins drop bottom rad hose again and drop the water.
hose pipe again in the bottom hose on the res for lols.
then bottom rad hose on
fill with type d
turn car on - 2krpm till engine heats - bleeding using the thermostat bolt.
top up as necessary.

Thats the gist of it. Im sure there must be another way of getting the old coolant out of the heater matrix.

Im probably going over the top but I :
remove lower rad hose and drop coolant.
hose through the bottom pipe on the reserviour for 5 minutes or until clear.
bottom rad hose on.
fill with water heat engine up and turn heater on inside car.
after 1 -2 mins drop bottom rad hose again and drop the water.
hose pipe again in the bottom hose on the res for lols.
then bottom rad hose on
fill with type d
turn car on - 2krpm till engine heats - bleeding using the thermostat bolt.
top up as necessary.

Thats the gist of it. Im sure there must be another way of getting the old coolant out of the heater matrix.

nice one thanks! my mate was talking about filling with water and closing the bottom hose off but didnt know to start the engine or not

dan's cast offs.
drop coolant, get dishwasher tablet, i use fairy platinum, mix it with hot water to dissolve it and then fill coolant system with water and add it to it. run it for day or two, 30-40 ish miles. drop it and do same again. that should sort it.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
.....and don't forget to add rinse aid :wink::tongueclosed:

Thanks for the info @bloke

I think i am gonna get the hoses now, might aswell get it done this time round instead of waiting till next flush or wasting the coolant

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
On a serious note, after flushing through I blew through the hoses to ensure as much water was out as possible, yet still only manages to get 6 litres back in....

On a serious note, after flushing through I blew through the hoses to ensure as much water was out as possible, yet still only manages to get 6 litres back in....

so it definitely is a full 7 litres? Cause i only managed under 5 litres... Dont know how over 2 litres was still in there tbf. As I said earlier, dont know if ill need to get more coolant now : /

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Pretty certain it's 7 litres! I've done mine twice now and only managed to squeeze in about 5 1/2 litres to start with, then the level dropped after driving a couple hundred miles (presumably due to airlocks).

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai as above ensure you get the hose flow through the block itself also, they'll be coolant in that and just blasting the circuit from the header tank connections wont always get there

Yeah I did not flush through the block so thats pretty much it tbf. Thanks for the heads up, I should be fine next time. The thing is I have never done any of this sort of thing ever and i get all the instructions on here or google/youtube but everyone explains is slightly different and I end up having to piece it all together and make my own method based on it all.

So when I top the new type d up after its been flushed with water and definitely clean, I close the bleed screw when it starts poring out, top it up full and start the engine. Do I leave the header tank open while it warms up? When would I close it and when do I need to re open the bleed screw to let more air out?

Right so flushed 2 times with water+tablet and its getting clearer but I screwed up (no pun intended) and have done some of the thread in the bleed hole and its kinda just leaking ever so slightly, ive managed to tighten a tiny bit before it goes loose again and its stopped but I dont trust it, as a quick fix can i find a very slightly bigger screw to go in? Theres a housing on ebay for 13 quid but ideally dont want to spend anything. Any advice? Thanks

330i. E30 Touring.
Right so flushed 2 times with water+tablet and its getting clearer but I screwed up (no pun intended) and have done some of the thread in the bleed hole and its kinda just leaking ever so slightly, ive managed to tighten a tiny bit before it goes loose again and its stopped but I dont trust it, as a quick fix can i find a very slightly bigger screw to go in? Theres a housing on ebay for 13 quid but ideally dont want to spend anything. Any advice? Thanks

Tap the thread again, and use a different bolt.