ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 15" Track wheels - Which are the best?

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Currently run a 172 cup track car with 16" Turinis. Looking to sell the turinis and buy some new 15" wheels to run. I've found Team Dynamics 15" for £259.00 - but the wheel size is 6.5 x 15. The tyres im looking at are either 195/50/15 Federal RSR or 205/50/15 Federal RSR. Would I need a 7 x 15 wheel size to accommodate these tyres?

Any suggestions to what brands/where to purchase some good new 15", 7 x 15 wheels, and also a good place to get tyres from?

Here's what I found http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/team-dynamics/jet/silver/15-inch - the 15" TD Wheels, seem a good price but as mentioned are 6.5" x 15.

Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
6.5 not a problem for 195, for 205 I would probably personally go for a 7 but I am sure the manufacturer will say they are in spec.

Unless you are racing, it really wont matter TBH

Renault Clio 172 cup
Nothing wrong with 195's on 6.5j. I've run 205's on 6j and 6.5j.
In reality you can get away with 6j with 195's , however if you're buying brand new wheels and its for the track 7 inch would be the preferable option.
Also 260 for some Team Dynamics sounds fair to me.
As for tyres..... mytyres.co.uk, tyretraders.com, camskill.co.uk , all sell track rubber.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Thanks for all the fast responses! It's just casual track use, but if i'm buying new wheels I may as well go for the best option. I've just realised on the wheels mentioned it does say 8x100/108 though? It does say will fit Mk2 renault clio (could be non-sports..) But surely 8 bolts won't fit a 172 (or am I being really stupid here?)

Also found Pro race 1.2's for £385 that are available in 7 x 15, whereas the other Team Dynamics wheels don't offer 7 x 15. Any other wheels worth looking at?

Thanks again

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
4 * 100
+
4 * 108

= 8 bolts, but you only use 4 of them

Thanks for clearing that up, makes a lot of sense now lol! So running 205 on 6.5 is okay, but if your running 6.5 your better off just buying 195s, am I correct? Not sure if it's worth the extra ~£130 for the TD 1.2s compared with the cheaper TD wheels, is it worthwhile for the more preferable wheel width? I want to do it properly as I'm buying brand new wheels/tyres, just want to weigh my options up, doing 4-5 trackdays a year most likely. Thanks

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
I run 15" turinis on my track cup and they're only 6.5J. I run 205/50 R888's as well with no issues.

Ah right, looks like I'm being a bit picky with the 7" then, seems 6.5 is fine unless as Chip said you're in a racecar!

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Well the TD (Pro Race) 1.2s will be worth more if you intend to sell them on at some point and will probably be lighter too and look better if that matters.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well the TD (Pro Race) 1.2s will be worth more if you intend to sell them on at some point and will probably be lighter too and look better if that matters.

^ This IMHO

I'd go for the pro race in your situation, its the "better" solution (lighter, wider, easier to sell on later on etc) and looks better too I think.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Think I will go with the Pro race 1.2s, as you said easier to sell on and a lot nicer looking!

Any suggestions for suppliers of good price alloy wheels? Chip-mk1 M.C.. is1

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Yeah literally just been looking and they seem decent, but its £30 more for silver compared to gloss black wheels?! Madness.

It is odd that. Especially as they seem to offer the black gloss in the widest range of offsets. It's not like they are getting rid of end of line stock.
That said, the silver ones, even at just over £400 are pretty good.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the silver are more as they all come out the production line black and then have to be painted silver over the top of the black coating iirc

personally I wouldn't buy new, absolutely no point at all, just trawl the classified for some second hand pro race ( I sold a set of pro race 1's for 180 recently, strong, light and imo good looking wheel, perfect for track)

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
the silver are more as they all come out the production line black and then have to be painted silver over the top of the black coating iirc

personally I wouldn't buy new, absolutely no point at all, just trawl the classified for some second hand pro race ( I sold a set of pro race 1's for 180 recently, strong, light and imo good looking wheel, perfect for track)

Only problem with second hand is, you never know 100% what's happened to them. They could have damage, dents, or even internal damage/fractures you would never see - which isn't very confidence inspiring when pushing it around a track. That's my take on it at least.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Only problem with second hand is, you never know 100% what's happened to them. They could have damage, dents, or even internal damage/fractures you would never see - which isn't very confidence inspiring when pushing it around a track. That's my take on it at least.

I can see that POV, however ime its been based in fear over experience. I've never used anything but used wheels and provided you check them over first, ring them for cracks and then fit tyres and balance there is no reason to fear

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Another quick question - what PCD can the Clio use, is it 35 & 38? And what about the bore etc? Anyone to enlighten me on what specs I should be looking for when purchasing the wheels would be great, what's suitable, what's not suitable etc. Thanks

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you want offset (ET) of between 43 and 36 odd ideally to be issue free

PCD is stud pattern which is 4x100 for all 4 stud Renault hubs

centre bore is 60.1mm, so look for same or larger (can use spigots to bring bore down easily, but have to machine smaller bore wheels up to fit, PITA)

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
PCD is 4x100 centre bore is 60.1
wheel specs here
Clio Renaultsport 172
Wheel: Renaultsport 7x16 ET48

Clio Renaultsport 172 Cup
Wheel: Speedline Turini 7x16 ET38

Clio Renaultsport 182
Wheel: Renaultsport 7x16 ET45

Clio Renaultsport 182 Trophy
Wheel: Speedline Turini 7x16 ET45

Pat 182

ClioSport Club Member
  cliosport 182
Baz just put forsale thread up for set of 2118 speedlines :approve: 15"x7"

Cheers Pat

is1

Integra Type R DC2
James
If you currently have a 172 Cup on Turinis (ET38), you want an offset of 38 or less, otherwise the wheel will tuck into the arches a bit more.
ET35 would be ideal as you'll get 3mm more "poke".

Pat 182

ClioSport Club Member
  cliosport 182
Sorry mate cant help that :dapprove: cracking wheels tho :approve: go on lad treat yourself :cool:;)

Proper track wheels and very strong

Pat

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
James
If you currently have a 172 Cup on Turinis (ET38), you want an offset of 38 or less, otherwise the wheel will tuck into the arches a bit more.
ET35 would be ideal as you'll get 3mm more "poke".

Thanks for the response mate, I sort of understand what all that means, but not entirely! What tolerance have I got then? Will - 15x7 e35 4x98 58.1 or 15x7 et35 4x100 57.1 fit? I guess the 4x98 is a no go, what about the bore sizes? Does it need to be exaclty 60.1 to fit without modification? Thanks again

Last edited:

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Bore will need to be MINIMUM of 60.1 or you would have to get the bore machined out to 60.1 if it was smaller, larger bore is OK as you can get spigot rings to reduce the bore.
PCD will have to be 4x100 nothing else will fit.
offset if you have a cup you will need et38 as a maximum (you could always use spacers to push the wheel out from that size)

for example if you went for a et30 wheel it will stick out a further 8mm than the standard wheel
or to achieve the same with a spacer you could get a et38 wheel and fit a 8mm spacer

how a play around on here for offsets you may understand it a bit more
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

172 cup
Quick question for you all, i have a cup with 16" turinis on i want to put some O.Z f1s on but someone has told me that it may effect the speedo and cornering etc. how do people go down to 15s without effecting anything in a bad way, currently running 195/45/16 thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Quick question for you all, i have a cup with 16" turinis on i want to put some O.Z f1s on but someone has told me that it may effect the speedo and cornering etc. how do people go down to 15s without effecting anything in a bad way, currently running 195/45/16 thanks
It won't effect the speedo in any hardly noticeable way at all mate so I wouldn't worry personally. The only way it could effect the cornering is because the oz f1's have a different offset and as a result the wheel sits more in board when compared to the cup turinis. This means you've decreased the track width back to the same as a normal ff 172. There's enough people out there running cups on oz f1's with no complaints, so I wouldn't worry yourself tbh.

172 cup
It won't effect the speedo in any hardly noticeable way at all mate so I wouldn't worry personally. The only way it could effect the cornering is because the oz f1's have a different offset and as a result the wheel sits more in board when compared to the cup turinis. This means you've decreased the track width back to the same as a normal ff 172. There's enough people out there running cups on oz f1's with no complaints, so I wouldn't worry yourself tbh.

cheers have started a thread for this now but will they look silly sitting further in?
Thanks

Vw caddy tdi
Any renault sport wheel will be fine the 182 and trophy/cup have a wider track due to slightly diff running gear 16s have larger rolling radius so the 45 higher offset pulls the stance in slightly. The 15" on a ph1 et42 and willy wheels et38 iirc with smaller overall size and rolling radius due to being a 195/15/50 makes up for the narrower track with the lower offset pushing the wheel out slightly.

is1

Integra Type R DC2

Thanks for the response mate, I sort of understand what all that means, but not entirely! What tolerance have I got then? Will - 15x7 e35 4x98 58.1 or 15x7 et35 4x100 57.1 fit? I guess the 4x98 is a no go, what about the bore sizes? Does it need to be exaclty 60.1 to fit without modification? Thanks again

As per Chip's post, these won't fit.
The best thing to do is to call John Harris at DT and explain that you want them for a Clio 1*2. He will take care of the PCD (4 x 100) and the centre bore (most likely by selecting Team Dynamics' larger bore, say 67.1mm, and sending you 7mm spigot rings to make up the difference to 60.1mm).
You can (and probably should) specify the offset as 38mm or just under (the offset range seems to be pretty good). A 38mm offset will position the wheels the same as Cup Turinis and for every 1mm less than 38 mm will poke the wheel outwards by the same.
I say specifically select the offset because if you leave it to them, they may send you say a 42mm offset which would work for a 1*2 but will leave your wheel tucked in by 4mm.
I wouldn't want that.