ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 182 Track Project

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Great day at Croft, although we were having so much fun we never got any pictures 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here‘s one from the arse end on the way.

View attachment 1686129

Met @SharpyClio for the first time. Good to meet you fella and thank you for the loan of the towing eye. We got sorted in the end.

@Brigsy popped in with his missus and Bumblebee 225 and we had a good old natter.

Lots of fast machinery there today and a ridiculous amount of Red Flags. Never known anything like it, which just goes to show the lack of talent that turn up to these events these days. It’s a bloody track-day for god sake.

Anyway, back to the car.

Engine : Awesome. This is a seriously fast Clio and I mean fast.
Gearbox and Gripper : Brilliantly set up and you can get all the power down.
Steering : Garbage. I’m going back to EPAS
Suspension : If I hadn’t of had my other circuit car I’d have been happy, but it’s just not set up for my tastes.
Exhaust : 97 decibels at 5,500 rpm. Happy with that.
Driver : s**t. I’ve gone back over 😂

Things to do.

Racing clutch, just for added security and a lightweight flywheel.
EPAS.
Fit my roll centre correction kit.
Might go Spax 750Mc like my old car. Currently have the AST 5100 kit but I can’t get my head around having the back stiffer than the front. Change my mind.
Fit my new tyres as the 52s currently on it are dead.
Bigger radiator and an oil cooler, again no major issues, but just for peace of mind.

If I can get this car to handle on a circuit like my last car, I’ll have a very good car indeed.

Thank you for reading.
Good meet you today Jon, car was looking good. Looking forward to hopefully being on track with you 13th May!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Good to catch up mate. Your track clio looks spot on, sounded good on track

Got a short vid on drive by.

I was itching to get out yesterday but the queues looked big to get on so give it a rain check.

Im considering booking 13th May.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Good to catch up mate. Your track clio looks spot on, sounded good on track

Got a short vid on drive by.

View attachment 1686192

I was itching to get out yesterday but the queues looked big to get on so give it a rain check.

Im considering booking 13th May.
Thanks Jon. That’s the only footage of it in the wild. Super quick car. My mates in the Megane 250 Cup said they couldn’t get near me going down that straight. Just need to sort the handling out now and grow a pair 🎱🎱

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
My 1 photo from Croft. They actually managed 4 in total, that’s how bad the red flags were. We spent more time in the garage or pit lane, than out on track.

IMG_2928.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What's the engine spec again mate
Wossner Forged Pistons 12.8:1 (83mm)
Catcam Performance Camshafts 421s
Wossner one-piece Uprated Valve Springs
MLS Head Gasket / Seal set
Cylinder head Clean / De-coke
Hydraulic Lifter set
Head Bolt Set
Arp Con-Rod bolts
King Crankshaft Big Ends
King Crankshaft Mains
Crankshaft thrust washers
Keyway crank
Jenvey ITBs (45mm)
220.6 bhp/178 lbs ft torque

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Hydraulic Lifter set
Head Bolt Set
Arp Con-Rod bolts
King Crankshaft Big Ends
King Crankshaft Mains
Keyway crank
Jenvey ITBs (45mm)

Fast.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Hydraulic Lifter set
Head Bolt Set
Arp Con-Rod bolts
King Crankshaft Big Ends
King Crankshaft Mains
Keyway crank
Jenvey ITBs (45mm)

Looks similar to one of the engine dynamic build sheets that. Was looking at it the other day....

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What weight is the car at matey?
The last owner said 920kg but I think it's heavier than that. It has got a fibreglass tailgate, the bonnet's guts are ripped out, no carpet, racing tank (20 ltrs) but full interior.

My last car was fully stripped out but had a full RO22 roll cage, plastic windows, one seat. That weighed 940 kg.

It's lighter than standard, that's for sure.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Another shot from Croft - looks faster than it was.

53619610404_5e8a50ec59_k.jpg

Lots of changes to make before getting to Croft on May 13th so I better get my finger out.

Essential things to do
  1. Fit new custom Radiator, wire-up fans and controller
  2. Fit Roll centre correction kit
  3. Fit the ASTs with new springs and top mounts
  4. Fit the Cup air-con delete kit
  5. Fit new tyres
  6. Fit brake ducts and pipework
Not so essential but on the radar
  1. Find an old laptop and get the ECU 90 software on there
  2. Find an EPAS set-up

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
@Mr Underhill Remove the tape on the Bumper?. :)
Just there as a precaution as there’s a bit of wear on the quick release mechanism that holds the bumper on.

It causes the ends of the bumper to lift slightly and whilst I’m sure it’ll hold without the tape, I don’t want to be that guy who halts a trackday session if a Marshall thinks the bumper is falling off.

I always call the TDO over to discuss anything like this before hand, so if he’s happy, I’m happy.

Unfortunately the tabs inside the arch have been removed, so it’s not like I can put a u-clip in there and a bolt to secure it. I quite like the tape to be honest because #Trackcar

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of a mixed day. Spent the morning putting the 172 Cup delete kit on, but all the while I kept thinking it was going to be tight with my new radiator.

IMG_3003.jpeg

I went for a fabricated Aluminium rad from Pure Motorsport. Tis a thing of beauty 😍

IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg
IMG_3012.jpeg

Began cutting out some of the metal to make it fit and damn, the pas pipe and bracket get in the way.

IMG_3014.jpeg

It’s not out by much, an inch or so.

IMG_3015.jpeg

Even if I get a custom high pressure pipe made, I’ll still need to cut a chunk out of the bracket, which isn’t an option I want to take.

Oh well, these things are sent to try us. Tools down, hot bath and a cup of tea me thinks.

Thank you for reading.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Managed an hour tonight - finally no rain.

Whipped the Cup delete kit off - probably won’t be needing that now - and attached the power steering pump to the original upper bracket. Then mocked the radiator up with the Schroud.

IMG_3078.jpeg

It looks the dogs but it’s going to be tight with twin 9 inch fans and the alternator in.

IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg

A bit of gentle persuasion is going to be required 🔨 me thinks.

Nothing organised this weekend, so weather permitting, I should be able to make some progress.

Thanks for 📖

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Another fight tonight, but I think I’ve got the better of it.

Put the other delete kit back on with new belt and moved the PAS pipes further back to allow for fans.

IMG_3086.jpeg

Next problem is getting the radiator to seat properly on the subframe.

As you can see it’s tight.

IMG_3087.jpeg

Too tight! 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

IMG_3088.jpeg

I’ll just ream the holes a few mm and we’ll be good to go.

Last job was to plan the fan and thermostat controller wiring, so took to photoshop and mocked up a schematic.

fan-schema.jpeg

Should all come together this weekend 🤞🏻