ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Macbook Pro..

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I'll have to add a SSD to my 2012 and dream of having a new one :cry:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've been waiting for the new line to be launched for months ... the pricing is crazy though!

I have an original 15" Retina MBP but I dont think I could ever justify buying like for like!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I watched the Keynote and before the prices were announced I convinced myself I "needed" one and add one of the new LG 27" screens to replace my 2010 27" iMac. However once the price was announced I thought bugger that.

Will it be any better than my current iMac? Probably not.

Though if some of you computer expects say otherwise I may look at it again.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
With student discount and nearly all options selected (Only 1TB storage selected) the 15" comes in at £2996.40. Without discount is £3330. Ridiculous pricing.

Makes the Microsoft Surface Studio PC look like a bargain.

My MD's just gone full spec on one, comes to about £4k !! And he's getting some apple care shizz for £300.. He only wants it to watch movies on too! :frowning::eek:penmouth:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Finally! Been waiting for this since f**king march.

My MagSafe PSU only needs to hold on another 3 or 4 weeks now! (I think it's the third one I've been through)

7684ae74e25b61d154d3a728e449b3fd.jpg

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Finally! Been waiting for this since f**king march.

My MagSafe PSU only needs to hold on another 3 or 4 weeks now! (I think it's the third one I've been through)

7684ae74e25b61d154d3a728e449b3fd.jpg
If you manage to bend those ones then you wouldn't stand a chance with the later type (not the USB C type). Awful design.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If you manage to bend those ones then you wouldn't stand a chance with the later type (not the USB C type). Awful design.

Except that the cable is separate from the charger on USB C as opposed to being part of the charger on MagSafe, so no spending 70 odd quid on a complete charger when the cable inevitable breaks, 17 quid for an Apple one. Half the issue I have is that my power outlet is on the other side of the computer, so it puts strain on it, at least I can choose which side this time....

Plus MagSafe should have had a removable cable from the charger, pretty much everybody I know (who actually uses a laptop out and about) has gone through at least 1 charger, it's normally quite fun when they go as well. Indoor fireworks.

Pffft...Tiss...Smoke...Flame...

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Except that the cable is separate from the charger on USB C as opposed to being part of the charger on MagSafe, so no spending 70 odd quid on a complete charger when the cable inevitable breaks, 17 quid for an Apple one. Half the issue I have is that my power outlet is on the other side of the computer, so it puts strain on it, at least I can choose which side this time....

Plus MagSafe should have had a removable cable from the charger, pretty much everybody I know (who actually uses a laptop out and about) has gone through at least 1 charger, it's normally quite fun when they go as well. Indoor fireworks.

Pffft...Tiss...Smoke...Flame...
Yeah....but i said NOT the USB one. The design after yours and before the USB type is far worse!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah....but i said NOT the USB one. The design after yours and before the USB type is far worse!

Ahh soz, get you now! The one before mine as well I believe exited straight out as well, yeah, pretty dumb decision - there was probably a 5 minute video with jony Ive talking about how it revolutionary comes straight out! If I have to hear another f**king Ive voiceover I'm gonna crack.

MagSafe was a brilliant thing but completely flawed by the cable being physically attached to the charger. I think there's already a magsafe USB C adaptor for sale (As per the newer MacBooks), so will probably get one of those.

My MD's just gone full spec on one, comes to about £4k !! And he's getting some apple care shizz for £300.. He only wants it to watch movies on too! :frowning::eek:penmouth:
Ha, so my FD just decided that she wants one too, so she's sorting out the spec now, this will snowball as my apple addict colleague will probably get one next.
The thing is today, three of them in the room have iphones, two top spec 7 things & a 6s, and all have phones that don't work properly 😂

dk

911 GTS Cab
Saw one of these in the Apple Store st the weekend, f**k me it's nice, so small, just wish they did a 17' one :(

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm gonna go for a Dell XPS 15" laptop instead of one of the new 15" Pros. You can fully spec out the Dell and it'll be more than £1000 cheaper. Pricing on the Pros is ridiculous and I just cant justify blowing that much more money for the "Apple Experience". Their Pro machines are no longer actually Pro.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I'm gonna go for a Dell XPS 15" laptop instead of one of the new 15" Pros. You can fully spec out the Dell and it'll be more than £1000 cheaper. Pricing on the Pros is ridiculous and I just cant justify blowing that much more money for the "Apple Experience". Their Pro machines are no longer actually Pro.
😂 And in 1 year your dell will be a POS and worth 1/2 what you paid and the Macbook will still be awesome, and still be worth 4/5ths of what you paid for it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The macrumors forums are absolutely f**king hilarious.

Essentially it all boils down to the fact that people can't afford them and they're whining like f**k giving all the excuses under the sun as to why Apple have totally got it wrong - apart from it being the most successful launch of their notebooks ever.

I'm still (for the moment) running on a Mid 2010 MBP and prior to that I had a PowerBook G4 for about 7 or 8 years as my only computer, so basically this is going to be a huge step up.

Bottom line if "specsmanship" is your "be all and end all" then don't buy a Mac and that has been true for forever - but only now does it seem to have become a "big" issue....

Apple have always been among the first to remove ports, I read an article somewhere yesterday which said that people were whining about the missing ports and that apple should have kept some legacy ports, but the moment you keep legacy ports the peripheral manufacturers get lazy and it takes longer to get products using the new ports. It took YEARS for USB to finally get proper support because people were still using serial, parallel and ISA/PCI etc expansions.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So £3k (With student discount of course) for the reasonably well spec'd 15" Pro is the price you pay for the computer. Add into that £19 for a USB-C to USB-A dongle, £50 for the cheapest power adapter, £19 so you can charge your iPhone 7. Those are just the basics really without taking the piss, though SD card reader adapter (£19?) would be nice also. Pricing on these is ridiculous (Particularly post Brexit UK). Ballers only for this one I'm afraid :smile:

Anyone watched the video on YT where it shows the Wifi slows significantly (In 50% of cases even stops working) when you plug peripherals into the new 13" Pro? I'll find a link. Inconvenient if you wanna
😂 And in 1 year your dell will be a POS and worth 1/2 what you paid and the Macbook will still be awesome, and still be worth 4/5ths of what you paid for it.

What its worth 7-8 years down the line really doesn't both me as with children they (PCs/laptops) can become their homework stations. Saying that, where can I find out how much my iMac would be worth?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Where is the bloody Edit button?

The iMac is a 27-inch Mid 2011, 3.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Radeon graphics, 1.256TB of SSDs.

Would I even notice a difference jumping to one of the new Pro laptops? Weather is be the Dell XPS or MacCrook Pro?

*Found the edit button*

I fear I'm just wanting something new and shiny as opposed to needing.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Im only EVER wanting something new and shiny. If i only bought stuff i NEEDED id be f**king minted. I have a Pro Retina thats less than 2 years old. I use it for the internet and photos. Do i need a new MBP? Do i f**k! Will i get one? f**king right i will..

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So today the wife ruled out the Dell XPS as she doesn't like Windows. Though she thinks a 5k I Mac is a better choice over a new Macbook Pro.

Played with one of the new Pros (Non touch bar 13inch) and really liked it. can type really fast on it with its new keys which I kinda liked.

Decisions decisions.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So today the wife ruled out the Dell XPS as she doesn't like Windows. Though she thinks a 5k I Mac is a better choice over a new Macbook Pro.

Played with one of the new Pros (Non touch bar 13inch) and really liked it. can type really fast on it with its new keys which I kinda liked.

Decisions decisions.

What MacBook Pro would you be after? Touchbar or non touchbar? Is she going to be using it in just one place?

There's always the ultrafine 5k display.....

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Pauper 256gb 13" with touch bar for me. Still £1688 with AppleCare and student discount, it's not justified but f*ck it I want one. Also don't like the idea of owning my late 13 retina without AppleCare which has just expired as I have thoroughly rinsed it over the last 3 years.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I haven't seen any details yet, but have they really taken away USB slots?
It's got usb c, the connector has all sorts of interfaces on it (thunderbolt, usb, display port etc).

You can use standard USB peripherals but you will need an adaptor to change between USB c and usb a.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's got usb c, the connector has all sorts of interfaces on it (thunderbolt, usb, display port etc).

You can use standard USB peripherals but you will need an adaptor to change between USB c and usb a.
f**k sake. What an utter ball ache.

This is literally apple seeing how far they can push people into buying their products. Everything is standard USB at the moment, everything. Moving 100% away from that really is just being c***s.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

This is literally apple seeing how far they can push people into buying their products. Everything is standard USB at the moment, everything. Moving 100% away from that really is just being c***s.

It's not the only laptop that has only USB c, I believe HP have some as well.

USB C is appearing on a lot of phones now, it supports power delivery (there is no charger socket on the MBP now, you just plug the charger into whichever USB c socket you want.

Any devices which you have that have a non built in USB lead could just have a cable swap and you're in business.

The USB C plug is the future because it's not just limited to the USB protocol.

The problem with not moving and keeping legacy connectors is that it means that adoption of the new connector happens much slower, by killing it completely the device manufacturers are forced into using the new standard much sooner.

Worth the tiny bit of *hassle* that you *may* have if you have to use an adaptor.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

theverge-share__16_.0.0.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's not the only laptop that has only USB c, I believe HP have some as well.

USB C is appearing on a lot of phones now, it supports power delivery (there is no charger socket on the MBP now, you just plug the charger into whichever USB c socket you want.

Any devices which you have that have a non built in USB lead could just have a cable swap and you're in business.

The USB C plug is the future because it's not just limited to the USB protocol.

The problem with not moving and keeping legacy connectors is that it means that adoption of the new connector happens much slower, by killing it completely the device manufacturers are forced into using the new standard much sooner.

Worth the tiny bit of *hassle* that you *may* have if you have to use an adaptor.
Indeed, people need to move with the times, and Swain it's Apple leading the trend, just like removing the headphone socket off phones, the peripheral companies will actually do some changes now.

Just bought a HP spectre laptop for a mate and that only has USB c too, when I told him he was fine with it, and what are all these devices you're plugging into laptop USB ports all the time to care? Everything is wireless these days, you backup to the cloud, use online file sharing services live onedrive etc.

The only thing I ever plug in is an external hard drive for transporting large files, a dongle is not an issue. I've got the new MacBook, that just has a single USB c on it, do it's not like Apple haven't already been doing this for a couple of years, I can't even charge and plug something in at the same time without a multi dongle, you get used to it and don't even give it a second thought.

We're in a wireless and cloud world, the only cable I use is the power cable (which I admit, I do miss the magnetised cable on my MacBook, plugging into a USB c port is a bit fiddly compared to a magnetised connection)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I agree with everything but for the removal of SD card slot. All other means of transfer off of SD card are pants.