ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New project. Megane engined RS200 road car.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That does sound awesome! Very impressive job, can't wait to see what it's like once it's been mapped.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Unreal. The ease and returns of this swap are amazing, all things considered.
I think if mine were to ever pop (touch wood not) then I'd get this swap done. It turns them into monsters.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Picked the car up today, great job by Chris @ Efi Parts.
Had a run around the block, bit shocked at just how quick it actually is as a full weight road car, would love to build a lightweight race car with the same engine!
Cars home now and filthy as the weather has been awful.
7d12fd621f9a77f2a30121f3d36e0cc4.jpg

And obligatory dyno graph for those who like that sort of thing.
9dd7a2ef541b9300fafdb1550a4fb84c.jpg

Going to spanner check it all this week and put some miles on it make sure it's all ok.
Russ

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Damn good job. Just shows how slack renault were by not building the rs16 when this in their garage can put a mef engine in a clio! [emoji38]

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_0288.JPG
Hi @Russ Rallye I've been reading your thread, at origins Renaultsport at Goodwood 2016 spoke at length to a young man with a Megane engined Clio who's car had caught fire. It appears the insulation on the bulkhead near the turbo had caused the fire. It was for sale so was not being used on track but I think overheating may be why Renaultsport never made one. I must have deleted pics so I've posted one of my Trophy instead sorry. :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 188049 Hi @Russ Rallye I've been reading your thread, at origins Renaultsport at Goodwood 2016 spoke at length to a young man with a Megane engined Clio who's car had caught fire. It appears the insulation on the bulkhead near the turbo had caused the fire. It was for sale so was not being used on track but I think overheating may be why Renaultsport never made one. I must have deleted pics so I've posted one of my Trophy instead sorry. :smile:
Yeah that standard insulation on the bulkhead is a recipe for disaster, first thing I did was get rid of it.
I don't think cooling or over heating is an issue if it's done properly, I personally wouldn't run the Clio rad but people do, I think it's just a bit marginal with the Megane engine especially once modified and/or with track use.
Russ

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'm just curious how it compares to a Mk2 Megane, I like the meg but I do like these Mk3 Clio conversions at the moment

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Awesome thread, when I saw an X85 Cup shell in the classifieds my immediate thought was to Meg engine it. Would love to do this, top work Russ.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Just read this. Been thinking for a while about a Meg powered 197. Just need somewhere to work out of !

Any chance of a rough list of what needs doing/parts.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just read this. Been thinking for a while about a Meg powered 197. Just need somewhere to work out of !

Any chance of a rough list of what needs doing/parts.
Yeah no worries plenty of info around but roughly as follows. Btw it's probably far easier with a donor Megane as there's always loads of little clips, hoses, pipes, sensors etc that are missing and mates it an expensive task.
-Clio 197/200 base car
-Megane 225/230 engine inc all ancillaries and loom
-Use all Clio engine mounts, upper gearbox mount needs Clio top Megane bottom parts.
-Clio or Megane gearbox r26 box has lsd obviously
-ph2 Megane 225 or r26 Ecu, needs to go to efi or rst to have to have the immobiliser code transferred from the Clio base cars Ecu
-Engine loom to be modified to suit Clio body loom
-Megane decat downpipe, any should fit inc 3".
-exhaust solution to fit from downpipe to original system. Most use a miltek Megane front pipe cut to suit a clio standard system.
-Megane driveshafts, if new style need outer joints modified to fit hubs
-intercooler and pipework to suit, few different ways of doing this
-coolant system, same again various ways to do it but mostly using Megane hoses etc and adapting to heater matrix hoses and whatever rad/header tank you're using.

Probably some bits that I've missed but that's the general gist of it @Christopher.
Russ

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah no worries plenty of info around but roughly as follows. Btw it's probably far easier with a donor Megane as there's always loads of little clips, hoses, pipes, sensors etc that are missing and mates it an expensive task.
-Clio 197/200 base car
-Megane 225/230 engine inc all ancillaries and loom
-Use all Clio engine mounts, upper gearbox mount needs Clio top Megane bottom parts.
-Clio or Megane gearbox r26 box has lsd obviously
-ph2 Megane 225 or r26 Ecu, needs to go to efi or rst to have to have the immobiliser code transferred from the Clio base cars Ecu
-Engine loom to be modified to suit Clio body loom
-Megane decat downpipe, any should fit inc 3".
-exhaust solution to fit from downpipe to original system. Most use a miltek Megane front pipe cut to suit a clio standard system.
-Megane driveshafts, if new style need outer joints modified to fit hubs
-intercooler and pipework to suit, few different ways of doing this
-coolant system, same again various ways to do it but mostly using Megane hoses etc and adapting to heater matrix hoses and whatever rad/header tank you're using.

Probably some bits that I've missed but that's the general gist of it @Christopher.
Russ
Sounds easy [emoji1]

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Just read all of your work!! Great effort! Subscribed!!
Cheers mate, not sure how further the cars going to go to be honest as I'll probably be just using it for a while before selling it probably. Having had 3 months off at the start of the year hasn't done the bank balance much good so probably wise to move it on and get my Racecar rebuilt and finish the mini resto on my E36 M3.
Russ

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Nice job :)

Ref the weight, my megg'd 200 was near as damn it 1300kg, but that had a full safety devices cage and some extra bracing bolted in. On the flip side it had ultralaggera wheels which are a fair chunk lighter than standard but overall I'd guess yours should be a bit lighter than that.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
To save people reading through the full thread just thought I'd put the full spec up here.
-2009 RS200 FF with Cup pack
-Glacier White
-Optional satin black Speedlines
-Optional Cup Rear Spoiler
-Optional Recaro Seats
-2007 F4Rt R26 engine and Ecu with modified loom. New cambelt kit inc water pump, ARP Con rod bolts and new sump gasket, new NGK plugs and genuine coil packs. New pure motorsport aux belt bracket and belt with ac delete.
-Alloy R26 radiator and pipework
-ND0 gearbox from R26 inc LSD
-Engine Dynamics short shift
-R26 shifter box and cables with new R26 gear knob
-Lightweight single mass flywheel
-Genuine R26.r clutch kit
-New genuine R26 driveshafts
-New genuine clutch master and slave cylinders inc pipework
-Megane RS250 Turbocharger
-Ktec dump valve blank
-Ktec map sensor bracket
-Scorpian 3" heat wrapped Downpipe
-Ktec 3" full exhaust system
-Siemens 630cc injectors
-Forge intercooler and hardpipe kit
-Samco turbo inlet pipe
-Pipercross cone filter
-Standard Cup suspension with H&R springs, new genuine top mounts, bottom arms and all link arms.
-Goodridge braided hoses, new Brembo HC front discs with DS1.11 pads(In progress)
-New Uniroyal Rainsport 3 road tyres 215/45/17 XL
-Spare set of genuine cup racer 8j wheels in red.
-Mapped by Chris @ Efi parts and making 301bhp and 298lb/ft (torque limited)

Think that's it, I'm not saying how much money it owes me but it's a lot!
Russ