ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New tyres: 195/50/15

My Willy has a set of antique Michelins on at the moment and they look like theyve come to the end of their lives. Since Im having my wheels refurbished over the next few days, now seems like a good time to get some new tyres!

Im going to ditch the 185/55/15 size and go for some 195/50/15s all round as theyre cheaper and theres more choice (my only mod to the car!). Just wondering what recommendations people have. I had a set of Yoko A539s last time at £40 a corner (on my 16V) and they seemed to do the business...in the dry.;)

Cheers

had uniroyal wetsports/rainsports in the same size on my rsi and they were great. very good in the dry and excellent in the wet.

40 quid a corner!!!

mine were 28 quid a corner!

ANyway, stick to a nice progressive tyre like RE-720s, michelin SX GTs (not made anymore but can be found and i like them) or the grippier MXX3.

Erm, the yokos again if you want.........i just wouldnt pay over the odds for tyres that really dont make the car that much better to drive.

Std softish chassis i wouldnt go bonkers with the all out ballsy grip tyres.

Have fun dood, and have to see this car later on.

Cool Ben. I dont fit tyres myself so Ive got to go to a more expensive tyre place instead of someone like http://www.mytyres.netwww.mytyres.net. (!)

I dont think the Yokos are that good, but they seemed better than most things for £40 a corner (fitted) at the time for the old Valver. So what are these RE-720s or new Michelins like?

Im sure youll get a chance to see the car soon, but at the moment Ive barely had time to give it a proper wax - let alone do me geeky engine bay stuff! (damn these short days). The car is a real minter though. Think Im going to be ultra sad and get involved with the local classic group.

The michelins are old, but then so again is the clio essentially.

I just wouldnt go for something that will snap on a std willy as the chassis doesnt follow that handling trait.

the RE-720s are not the top Bridgestones but still i find damn good. good grip, wet weather is good and generally not much more you would need to ask from a tyre.

local classic group?......you own a classic!???? :p

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 22 October 2003

I dont fit tyres myself so Ive got to go to a more expensive tyre place instead of someone like http://www.mytyres.netwww.mytyres.net. (!)
just take the tyres to a local tyre place and get them fitted!!!!

Sometimes theyll tell you to piss off (happened to me yesterday, they wanted £20+VAT to fit EACH tyre!!!!!!)

Or they happily take your money (cost me £10 a corner to have them fitted and balanced)