ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbee...

Hi Guys,

Im new to the site as the title suggests i am from Wales (South) I am 22yrs old, drivin a yr and may be looking to hopefully own a Clio 197:D

I own a Citroen C2 atm but was in an accident on Fri and i think its going to be a write off. So straight away i have turned my sights on a Clio 197 F1.

Being a member of a C2 forum i know helpfull these forums can be and i am looking for some advice on the Clio 197's. Hopefully people can give me some advice on them and their thoughts etc.

Well thats all.

Gar

Just need to have a test drive of 197 pref. the cup or F1 moddel. Also looking at the Corsa VXR (waits for slating).. And then more importantly what people think between the different models (cup/f1)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Just need to have a test drive of 197 pref. the cup or F1 moddel. Also looking at the Corsa VXR (waits for slating).. And then more importantly what people think between the different models (cup/f1)

I think the obvious thing would be to check insurance on both the Corsa and Clio.

All down to personal choice really think theres a few boys on here that have VXR's.

If it was the 197 or VXR i personally would probaly get the VXR, fuel consumption would be the saving grace (although it would still be in the mid 20's when you have that Garret screaming for mercy)

Was the accident your fault?

oh and welcome:D

172 Cup
Dont buy the Corsa like its bigger brother its great in a stright line but going into a cornor a bit hot is a short cut to an early grave! Remember renault are very good at making small cars go fast!! You will not be disappointed! imo

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Dont buy the Corsa like its bigger brother its great in a stright line but going into a cornor a bit hot is a short cut to an early grave! Remember renault are very good at making small cars go fast!! You will not be disappointed! imo

This is an old wives tale mate, people seem to think because this is the first car Vauxhall have designed thats small and just under 200bhp its going to be a disaster, it may not be "as good" but i wouldnt say its rubbish!

The only thing i could fault is the fact it has quite a high centre of gravity but then a good coilover will sort this. My bro's ST had the same problem but he got a mountune kit for it and its a diffrent car now!

Well i cant really argue with people on here about the clio. I aint ever driven one.

But all i can say from what i have reserched, spec wise, very similar cars the VXR has a tad mroe toque however.

Now i have watched 2 vid's and on one there were 2 diff driverd, 1 driving vxr and 1 driving clio. Clio faster by over a sec i think. Then on another vid same driver the vxr was 0.4 secs quicker, he did say the clio was a bit lary on corners where as the vxr was boring cos was easy :S But at the end they all said they would have the clio..

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
ive got a corsa vxr and love it. it does handle well. maybe not as good as a 197 but it depends on what mag reviews it tbh. evo like the 197 autocar like the vxr.

anyway both the corsa and 197 are great cars and will give you many grins. (I had a 172FF before thats why im on here btw)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
ive got a corsa vxr and love it. it does handle well. maybe not as good as a 197 but it depends on what mag reviews it tbh. evo like the 197 autocar like the vxr.

anyway both the corsa and 197 are great cars and will give you many grins. (I had a 172FF before thats why im on here btw)

How do you find it economy wise? Does it respond well to being driven economically?

Im quite convinced this will be my next car if i dont get the EK9?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Miller that is a great review mate, thanks for that..

Anyone have a review similar for the clio 197 pref the cup or r27 with the uprated chassis?

And just from what i have seen in pictures the interior of the Vxr looks nicer (dash wise) but in millers thread someone said the vxr and r27 seats are the same is this true?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Miller that is a great review mate, thanks for that..

Anyone have a review similar for the clio 197 pref the cup or r27 with the uprated chassis?

And just from what i have seen in pictures the interior of the Vxr looks nicer (dash wise) but in millers thread someone said the vxr and r27 seats are the same is this true?
i think so. But the VXR has half leather recaro's as standard. the recaro's are an option on the 197 and not half leather. but with a bit of haggling i think you could get them thrown in or some money of at least with reno

172 Cup

This is an old wives tale mate, people seem to think because this is the first car Vauxhall have designed thats small and just under 200bhp its going to be a disaster, it may not be "as good" but i wouldnt say its rubbish!

The only thing i could fault is the fact it has quite a high centre of gravity but then a good coilover will sort this. My bro's ST had the same problem but he got a mountune kit for it and its a diffrent car now!

I just thought when i drove the corsa it was a death trap! as i did with the Astra, i am sure with a bit of work on it you could make it amazing! it does looks gd!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What corsa and what astra? Both the VXR's?

The old GSi was supposed to be a cracking car, that redtop engine is literally bulletproof. Never driven one so i cant really comment!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well then the only thing i could put it down to is personal choice then mate, both great cars, not a million miles away!