ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Clio 200 Owner Questions

200T & 172 Project
Hey all,

3rd RenaultSport but first 200 so naturally I have some (probably stupid) newbie questions regarding this model. Any answers will be appreciated!

• Are the Dephaser pulleys an issue on these like it is the 182's? I know they have a Dephaser but un-sure if its a redesigned part.

• On a cold start the engine sounds whiney for a bit till it starts to warm up, I am sure I remember this with my old 182 being normal but please say if its not meant to sound like this.

• I am not sure if 1 or more engine mounts maybe worn as when coming on and off acceleration or dipping clutch at high RPM it feels like the engine rocks. Anyone know a better way to check if a mount has gone?

• Finally the coolant temp gauge, the needle rises like normal but it then moves between the red and blue marks slightly shown on the below example. Is the needle meant to move or is it meant to rise to the blue mark and stay there? kinda thinking it shouldn't be going up and down and maybe a issue there:
Screenshot_1_zpsydcnmhuf.gif

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Renaultsport Clio200
Hi Tom! I'm also new to 200 ownership having got mine in December. I can't help with the questions apart from be thankful you also mentioned the whining sound on start up. I thought it would be solved when i had the cambelt changed!
Apart from that's a great little car!

200T & 172 Project
Hi Tom! I'm also new to 200 ownership having got mine in December. I can't help with the questions apart from be thankful you also mentioned the whining sound on start up. I thought it would be solved when i had the cambelt changed!
Apart from that's a great little car!

Hey Ash, from what I can remember from previous ownership the whining is normal as long as it goes away as the engine starts to warm up. Been doing some Googling and lot of people reporting the same and saying it could be anything from the fuel system sorting itself out to a belt tension issue which goes as the rubber belt warms up. From what I have gathered though as long as it goes eventually it is not an issue.

I am happy to be corrected on this though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hey all,

3rd RenaultSport but first 200 so naturally I have some (probably stupid) newbie questions regarding this model. Any answers will be appreciated!

• Are the Dephaser pulleys an issue on these like it is the 182's? I know they have a Dephaser but un-sure if its a redesigned part.

• On a cold start the engine sounds whiney for a bit till it starts to warm up, I am sure I remember this with my old 182 being normal but please say if its not meant to sound like this.

• I am not sure if 1 or more engine mounts maybe worn as when coming on and off acceleration or dipping clutch at high RPM it feels like the engine rocks. Anyone know a better way to check if a mount has gone?

• Finally the coolant temp gauge, the needle rises like normal but it then moves between the red and blue marks slightly shown on the below example. Is the needle meant to move or is it meant to rise to the blue mark and stay there? kinda thinking it shouldn't be going up and down and maybe a issue there:
Screenshot_1_zpsydcnmhuf.gif

Thanks in advance!
Tom
Ok so to answer your questions mate!

1) yeah they have a dephaser on them still but it's a redesigned unit and a lot more reliable. I only know of a few that have gone faulty as well.

2) the whining noise could be the breather one way valve at the throttle body. There's a few that I've seen do this. Luckily you can pop them open and clean them out. Other than that, it'll be the standard whine that all rs seem to have.

3) that'll be the dog bone bushes and the torque arm bushes. Get them swapped out for powerflex items asap mate, because otherwise you'll be having to get the exhaust manifold replaced. The engine movement causes the flexis to split, and the only way to replace the manifold is with a subframe drop.

4) yeah that's where they all sit. It'll go up beyond the blue mark in your picture above if you kick its head in.

Hope that helps mate.

Renaultsport Clio200
Hey Ash, from what I can remember from previous ownership the whining is normal as long as it goes away as the engine starts to warm up. Been doing some Googling and lot of people reporting the same and saying it could be anything from the fuel system sorting itself out to a belt tension issue which goes as the rubber belt warms up. From what I have gathered though as long as it goes eventually it is not an issue.

I am happy to be corrected on this though.
Thanks Tom

200T & 172 Project
Ok so to answer your questions mate!

1) yeah they have a dephaser on them still but it's a redesigned unit and a lot more reliable. I only know of a few that have gone faulty as well.

2) the whining noise could be the breather one way valve at the throttle body. There's a few that I've seen do this. Luckily you can pop them open and clean them out. Other than that, it'll be the standard whine that all rs seem to have.

3) that'll be the dog bone bushes and the torque arm bushes. Get them swapped out for powerflex items asap mate, because otherwise you'll be having to get the exhaust manifold replaced. The engine movement causes the flexis to split, and the only way to replace the manifold is with a subframe drop.

4) yeah that's where they all sit. It'll go up beyond the blue mark in your picture above if you kick its head in.

Hope that helps mate.

Thank you NorthloopCup! massive help :)

Glad to hear the Dephaser thing is a lot less common now! that was a pain on the 182s had mine go twice lol. I will have a look at the valve in question but I have a feeling its just the usual noise that goes within a minute of a cold start.

In regards to the engine mounts that's what I am fearing cracking the mani. Am I correct in thinking there are 4 mounts in total? 1 upper mount next to the cambelt, one on the gearbox, the dogbone at the back of the engine and one other stabilizer bar some ware?

Thank you
Tom

Renaultsport Clio200
I agree with Christopher. Drove my brothers 182 ff cup and that was a wicked car but the interior was shocking and it was a pretty cheaply put together car. The 200 seems much better built but still go kart fun!