ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Track Car Advice

2003 172 Cup
Hello to all..... I am a newbie to this forum, to Clios and to track cars really!

I have always loved cars but essentially quick road cars and have owned a CTR, Focus ST, Z4 Coupe in recent years but have essentially no mechanical knowledge or no how!

I have only ever done one track day in the CTR and absolutely loved it, and now have a job that involves a commute into The City and can't really justify having a decent/valuable car sat in the driveway for me to drive a couple of times at weekends so have decided the best way to feed my car hunger is to get something cheap and fun and track it, at the same time doing some work on it and learning as I go!

I have been reading up for a while and have decided a 182 is the way to go so am currently on the look out for something in good condition around £2/£2.5k. Im not quite sure what I'm after but suppose something with a decent amount of track prep would be good, although ideally I would still use for a very short drive to the station most days.

Any advice/guidance!? I have been reading up as much as possible but given the huge amount of knowledge on here thought I may as well set out my stall and ask the question!

Thanks in advance!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Hello to all..... I am a newbie to this forum, to Clios and to track cars really!

I have always loved cars but essentially quick road cars and have owned a CTR, Focus ST, Z4 Coupe in recent years but have essentially no mechanical knowledge or no how!

I have only ever done one track day in the CTR and absolutely loved it, and now have a job that involves a commute into The City and can't really justify having a decent/valuable car sat in the driveway for me to drive a couple of times at weekends so have decided the best way to feed my car hunger is to get something cheap and fun and track it, at the same time doing some work on it and learning as I go!

I have been reading up for a while and have decided a 182 is the way to go so am currently on the look out for something in good condition around £2/£2.5k. Im not quite sure what I'm after but suppose something with a decent amount of track prep would be good, although ideally I would still use for a very short drive to the station most days.

Any advice/guidance!? I have been reading up as much as possible but given the huge amount of knowledge on here thought I may as well set out my stall and ask the question!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the club mate.

You'll get a decent 182 for that kind of money. Just make sure it's had the belts and dephaser done or if not factor that into the buying price.

You don't need to do much to these to make them great on track.

Become a full member and you'll be able to access all of the tech side of the forum to help you along the way.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be people Ali g to help you out with a lot more knowledge than me.

Good luck mate :up:

2003 172 Cup
Thanks Ron.

It's seems that for my budget I'm looking at something fairly standard with 60-80k miles or something that has had some track work done but 90k plus miles. As I'm not going to be able to do much work myself I guess the latter is preferable as long as it's had cam/dephaser done!

Don't get to held up on the mileage of the f4r, its more about the service history and if they have been warmed up properly etc - especially if its just going to be for track, i would lower your budget for spending (so maybe the outcome being a higher mileage car) and have the money spare to spent on:
-Better pads and brake fluid
-Tyres
-Suspension

For example my 40k 182 had no end of problems, mechanically and electrically, but my 135k ph1 engine has outlived its ph1 shell and is now going to be re shelled into my 182.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Thanks Ron.

It's seems that for my budget I'm looking at something fairly standard with 60-80k miles or something that has had some track work done but 90k plus miles. As I'm not going to be able to do much work myself I guess the latter is preferable as long as it's had cam/dephaser done!

Yeah higher miles aren't really an issue from what I've read on here. As long as it's been looked after and serviced you won't go far wrong I don't think.

Get a project thread up on here when you get one purchased :up:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd save yourself some money and get a 172. Mechanically the same car, but the exhaust is cheaper when it falls off! Spend the money saved on brakes and a bucket seat, and away you go.

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
I'd save yourself some money and get a 172. Mechanically the same car, but the exhaust is cheaper when it falls off! Spend the money saved on brakes and a bucket seat, and away you go.

I have to agree, I bought a 172 a few months back as a standard car knowing very little about mechanics. I have now turned it into a decent track car (see my build thread). The car is surprisingly easy to work on, i've learnt a lot just messing about and following the excellent guide on here (well worth the sign up fee) and clio's in general are cheap enough to be able to do on a reasonable budget

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd rather start with something standard than something, erm 'ktec'd'. And apex springs are appalling.

2003 172 Cup
Good to know, cheers.

To be honest I'm slightly torn as something with work done would save time, money and work but at the same time I'd like to get one fairly standard, track it, do some work, track it and feel the gains.... And so on.... But I guess that adds cost and complexity!

Trackslag172

ClioSport Club Member
  03 Clio 172
Good to know, cheers.

To be honest I'm slightly torn as something with work done would save time, money and work but at the same time I'd like to get one fairly standard, track it, do some work, track it and feel the gains.... And so on.... But I guess that adds cost and complexity!

Do it, get a standardish car and do it up yourself. Then you get to learn how it all works, it will probably be a bit more expensive to do it yourself as there will be mistakes ect, but its worth it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Engine is the last thing I'd do. Lots of cash for little return. Brakes, seat, spend some cash on learning to get the best out of it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Buy a 172 Cup,
Change the brake fluid & fit uprated front pads,
Check condition of struts replace in pairs as necessary, check condition of springs,
Change all bushes for new Renault items,
Hunter alignment.
Tuition,
Tuition,
Tuition,
Done.

Do this, exactly this, and you'll have a great time with minimal outlay.

Good to know, cheers.

Yes, it costs more to start from scratch.....but the build is half the fun, and it doesn't have to be done in one hit, drive, enjoy and upgrade as you go, 172Cup is the way to go for a track car IMO. I've had mine 18 months, just done a full year of track days and I'm still tinkering :)

172 Cup
Personally I don't like that the seats have been changed.

Keep on the look out and don't rush in. There's plenty out there.

Mods or not on a car wouldn't swing my decision. If it has a few good additions then that will save you some £ and hassle. If not then you can always pick up things in the market place here for your £10 membership fee. Cliosport has the best market for parts that I have seen and Clio bits and pieces are cheap. It's all part of the fun.

I picked up my 172 Cup in June. Previous owner had:

New cup dampers
V6 airbox
KTEC stealth system plus sports cat
KTEC engine, gearbox and dogbone mounts
Brembo HC discs
Magnecor leads
Carbon canister removal
Lightweight relocated battery
Externally standard

Despite saying I would leave it, since then I have fitted:

Braided lines
Eibach sportline springs
4 Michelin PS3s
Hunter alignment
New OE top mount bearings
RSTuner 98 octane map
OE 172 Cup badges and mats
Silvertec bulbs

It was good before but is fantastic now. I've been a Subaru man for a long long time but cannot believe how special these little cars are. Good luck with your hunt!

2003 172 Cup
Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

What concerns you about the seats or is it just a preference thing?

I have been reading lots and looking at some tutorial stuff and working on the car is definitely part of the attraction, but appreciate I am unlikely to get something 'standard'. A few mods is fine as you say as I'll probably do them anyway.

172 Cup
There isn't really a legitimate concern there, it's just that I like Cups to have the original cloth seats. I like the purity of them! No big deal.

I would also make sure that your car comes with the original turini wheels as they are expensive and desirable. I wouldn't mind something of similar value like 15" 2118s but certainly not cheap Halfords items.

172 Turbo
I wouldn't mind the seats, mine are showing wear now and I doubt decent seats weigh much more.
It took me 2 months to buy my Cup and I did miles looking at them and seeing sheds.

2003 172 Cup
Excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming he wheels on the car in the link are original Turinis, just been refurbed?

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of Cups around but will keep scouring!

172 Turbo
Excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming he wheels on the car in the link are original Turinis, just been refurbed?

Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of Cups around but will keep scouring!
They look like Turinis to me. They'd be the first thing sold for me!
There has been a few Cups on the Facebook owners club in recent weeks.

172 Turbo
Cheers... Have you got a link, there appear to be a few groups?
Look for Clio Sport Owners Club - The link gets blanked on here, sadly.
What wheels are you running masekwm?
I've bought back my original Turini's but they are in the garage and probably to be sold on. My Cup has F1's with 888s on it, don't see the need for anything else really.

2003 172 Cup
Anyone know why it would have blue door badges rather than the silver.... Do people ha he these for a preferred look?

2003 172 Cup
I'm in the club! Bought the one above and paid up my membership! Seems in good nick with decent history.

First job is to sort the exhaust as it is crazy loud and I just want standard or at least standard level of noise. Any advice? I see from other threads standard are expensive!

It currently has a KTec stealth with a sports cat..... Does the cat contribute to the noise or would putting a standard exhaust cat back return it to its standard level of noise?

Cheers for the advice all!

2003 172 Cup
Sorry do you mean a silenced section for the KTec system?

Can someone let me know if I can fit a standard cat back system to the sports cat, or would I need a new standard cat too?

Looking online it seems you can get a whole new system included cat for £450.... Does that sound right?